+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kickoff Rules???

Big Dog NavyBulldog1 is a name known to allNavyBulldog1 is a name known to allNavyBulldog1 is a name known to allNavyBulldog1 is a name known to allNavyBulldog1 is a name known to allNavyBulldog1 is a name known to allNavyBulldog1 is a name known to allNavyBulldog1 is a name known to allNavyBulldog1 is a name known to allNavyBulldog1 is a name known to allNavyBulldog1 is a name known to all

Kickoff Rules???

Did i miss something?? Kickoff from the 35, touchback starts at the 25? I think this will make kickoff much much less relevant...

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

Re: Kickoff Rules???

Quote Originally Posted by NavyBulldog1 View Post
    Did i miss something?? Kickoff from the 35, touchback starts at the 25? I think this will make kickoff much much less relevant...
    The idea is to encourage more touchbacks for safety. However what we will see is kickers kicking higher and giving coverage more time to get down field for big hits.

Champ RhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't it also illegal for the kicking team to get a running start (except the kicker) or did I just dream that?

Champ BoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud of BoutThemDawgs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RhinoDawg View Post
    Isn't it also illegal for the kicking team to get a running start (except the kicker) or did I just dream that?
    Only if they pass the kicker before he hits the ball. That would be called Offsides, resulting in being moved 5 yards forward and redoing the kick.

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RhinoDawg View Post
    NFL has that rule. Not sure if college adopted that too yet.

Champ RhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by BoutThemDawgs View Post
    Only if they pass the kicker before he hits the ball. That would be called Offsides, resulting in being moved 5 yards forward and redoing the kick.
    Really?!?! Offsides?! What a revelation!

Quote Originally Posted by GatorDawg View Post
    NFL has that rule. Not sure if college adopted that too yet.
    Thanks. Knew I had heard that somewhere

Big Dog NavyBulldog1 is a name known to allNavyBulldog1 is a name known to allNavyBulldog1 is a name known to allNavyBulldog1 is a name known to allNavyBulldog1 is a name known to allNavyBulldog1 is a name known to allNavyBulldog1 is a name known to allNavyBulldog1 is a name known to allNavyBulldog1 is a name known to allNavyBulldog1 is a name known to allNavyBulldog1 is a name known to all

Bottom line is that this will have a large impact.

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

Vandy had a good return to the 50 against SC last night

Varsity Bulldog dawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nice dawg419's Avatar

I believe that there was a rule change to only allow the kicking team to have a 5 yard running start. Most teams had a 10 yard start. Again supposed to be a safety related rule change.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Remember the old "bubble rule". It was ridiculous so they repealed it even though it was for the safety of the punt returner. If the kick-offs become too boring they will go back. A lot of us can remember when the kick-off was from the 40. I believe the change was made in the 80's.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

The idea is to encourage more touchbacks for safety. However what we will see is kickers kicking higher and giving coverage more time to get down field for big hits.
    exactly, why would you kick it through the end zone and guarantee great starting position at the 25 when you can pooch it down to the 5 and crush the return man inside the 15? Crazy bassakwards thinking.

Champ RealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg419 View Post
    I believe that there was a rule change to only allow the kicking team to have a 5 yard running start. Most teams had a 10 yard start. Again supposed to be a safety related rule change.
    Kickoff team has to start with at least one foot touching or beyond the 30-yard line (or 5 yards behind the kick spot).

Honestly the new kickoff rule doesn't bother me near as much as the new helmet rule. I can see this rule leading to a team's star player sitting out a key play at some point this year because an opponent takes of the players helmet while the officials are not looking. In fact I'd be shocked if that doesn't happen a few times this year.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Honestly the new kickoff rule doesn't bother me near as much as the new helmet rule. I can see this rule leading to a team's star player sitting out a key play at some point this year because an opponent takes of the players helmet while the officials are not looking. In fact I'd be shocked if that doesn't happen a few times this year.
    I actually like the new helmet rule. It should improve safety. Too often a few players lose their helmets on too many plays.....when you KNOW it's avoidable. And it's usually the same few players who lose their helmets over and over again. That needs to stop. Strap it up, boys......or be prepared to sit out a play.

+ Reply to Thread