+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Freshman Daughter's university Ethernet connection via Apple Airport

Varsity Bulldog SportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to all

Freshman Daughter's university Ethernet connection via Apple Airport

My daughter moved into Park Place apartments. Trying to hook up her Apple airport router via wire to university ethernet. Wireless network works. Although we can reach the latch.edu sites (e.g., helpdesk, B.O.S.S)., we cannot reach other Internet sites. She is "registered" with TECH ant we have downloaded the Mac certificate.

Any of you brainiacs have any suggestions on what she should do?

STF

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Freshman Daughter's university Ethernet connection via Apple Airport

What kind of error are you getting? It could be a DNS resolution problem, we've been having a lot of that with the campus apartments lately (I'm also in PP atm as it happens!). I would recommend going to www.opendns.com and checking out the solutions on there. That's what I did last year (and just now) and it's working for me.

Champ Allgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud of

Apple products and Tech's wifi/internet don't play nicely. Trying to access OpenAir or the secure wifi is a pain.

Varsity Bulldog SportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to all

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    What kind of error are you getting? It could be a DNS resolution problem, we've been having a lot of that with the campus apartments lately (I'm also in PP atm as it happens!). I would recommend going to www.opendns.com and checking out the solutions on there. That's what I did last year (and just now) and it's working for me.
    It is not an error message. When she tries to go to a web site, she gets re-directed to the university user registration site. Which acknowledges that she is a registered user, when we re-register.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Try clearing your cookies. I get that error from time to time at the beginning of the quarter. If you can't figure it out, the computing center is in the basement of Wyly Tower. From the south, head towards the Admin side entrance, and the door to the CC will be on your left, right before you get to the Admin door. Just go down the stairs and you'll find someone to help you!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    Try clearing your cookies. I get that error from time to time at the beginning of the quarter. If you can't figure it out, the computing center is in the basement of Wyly Tower. From the south, head towards the Admin side entrance, and the door to the CC will be on your left, right before you get to the Admin door. Just go down the stairs and you'll find someone to help you!
    Thanks - cookies cleared, and still same problem. Are you using an Apple Airport router?

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Are you getting an IP address?

I do not like Apple...but aside from my preference, I know from the experiences of friends that Apple and Tech wifi have mutual disagreements, as Allgood said.

Champ Allgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud of

Have you contacted the help desk in the basement of Wyly?

Quote Originally Posted by Allgood View Post
    Have you contacted the help desk in the basement of Wyly?
    They were closed for the weekend/holiday while I was there. She is contacting the help desk today.

Thanks for all the advice. I will report back the ultimate resolution.

STF

Puppy greggrambling is a jewel in the roughgreggrambling is a jewel in the roughgreggrambling is a jewel in the roughgreggrambling is a jewel in the roughgreggrambling is a jewel in the roughgreggrambling is a jewel in the roughgreggrambling is a jewel in the roughgreggrambling is a jewel in the roughgreggrambling is a jewel in the roughgreggrambling is a jewel in the roughgreggrambling is a jewel in the rough greggrambling's Avatar

FYI: several years ago my niece's Apple w/airport virtually shut down the computer system at the U. of Miami. they traced the problem to her dorm room and were contemplating having her removed from the planet until she convinced them with the help of several engineering faculty that it was the computer's fault...as was said before, Apple doesn't play well with other children.

Quote Originally Posted by greggrambling View Post
    FYI: several years ago my niece's Apple w/airport virtually shut down the computer system at the U. of Miami. they traced the problem to her dorm room and were contemplating having her removed from the planet until she convinced them with the help of several engineering faculty that it was the computer's fault...as was said before, Apple doesn't play well with other children.
    One of the student Brainiacs got it all to work for her. It took him about 3 hours, so I do not feel as bad about my failure to make it work.

STF

+ Reply to Thread