+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Second half

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Second half

I am excited to see that we broke from our trend of dismal second half offensive performances by scoring more in the second half than we did in the first half. That hasn't happened very often in the past.

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Second half

Offense got to clicking in the second half. Still worried about the Secondary but who else will we play with that kind of firepower.

Champ Allgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud of

May have to burn some redshirts in the secondary.

Big Dog Snapdawg is a splendid one to beholdSnapdawg is a splendid one to beholdSnapdawg is a splendid one to beholdSnapdawg is a splendid one to beholdSnapdawg is a splendid one to beholdSnapdawg is a splendid one to beholdSnapdawg is a splendid one to beholdSnapdawg is a splendid one to beholdSnapdawg is a splendid one to beholdSnapdawg is a splendid one to beholdSnapdawg is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by KSDAWG View Post
    Offense got to clicking in the second half. Still worried about the Secondary but who else will we play with that kind of firepower.
    The way Tech's defense played, opponents will not need firepower, just warm bodies will score 40 on us.

Champ JAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Snapdawg View Post
    The way Tech's defense played, opponents will not need firepower, just warm bodies will score 40 on us.
    I would think Sonnys' going to force them to fix that or else. Our rush was alot better last year. I didn't see IK a whole lot in the second half, but couldn't tell very well. I know you mean DB, but Terry Carter was lockdown and the D Line kept us from being exposed so badly.

Champ mildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond repute mildawg's Avatar

What I have never understood is why our DBs are never even close to the receivers. QP is one of the best receivers in the country, and UH had #2 in his face all night. Our DBs line 10+ yards off the line and are never anywhere close enough to the opposing receivers to break up or intercept a pass. When I watched videos of our early practices in fall camp, our DBs were actually playing pretty tight coverage and contesting passes. But in games we always seem to play soft coverage. Guess we are too afraid of giving up a big play, but patient teams willing to throw those 5-10 yard routes will eat our lunch all year long.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    I am excited to see that we broke from our trend of dismal second half offensive performances by scoring more in the second half than we did in the first half. That hasn't happened very often in the past.
    Stop looking for positives in this win.

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mildawg View Post
    What I have never understood is why our DBs are never even close to the receivers. QP is one of the best receivers in the country, and UH had #2 in his face all night. Our DBs line 10+ yards off the line and are never anywhere close enough to the opposing receivers to break up or intercept a pass. When I watched videos of our early practices in fall camp, our DBs were actually playing pretty tight coverage and contesting passes. But in games we always seem to play soft coverage. Guess we are too afraid of giving up a big play, but patient teams willing to throw those 5-10 yard routes will eat our lunch all year long.
    For the last 12 or so years, they have been off the WR like you are saying...I am guessing b/c we don't have the speed...I think having/finding a true consistent lock down corner in college is hard to do...the few that come out of high schools seem to go to the bigger schools....thats why we need to DEVELOP them...but as you say, its an easy 6-7 yard gain EVERY play when we play 12 yards off
    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”
    Lou Holtz - Football Coach

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

"Bring back the rotary phone so we don't have to press 1 for English."
    www.casadice.com

Champ SixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by Allgood View Post
    May have to burn some redshirts in the secondary.
    Yes, please. Let's get some of those big, fast, talented DBs on the field.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

If those freshmen were ready they'd be out there. Burning or saving a redshirt is not a priority with our coaching staff.

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    If those freshmen were ready they'd be out there. Burning or saving a redshirt is not a priority with our coaching staff.
    What do you mean by that?

Champ louisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Stop looking for positives in this win.
    We had nearly 600 yards of offense

Champ mildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond repute mildawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
    For the last 12 or so years, they have been off the WR like you are saying...I am guessing b/c we don't have the speed...I think having/finding a true consistent lock down corner in college is hard to do...the few that come out of high schools seem to go to the bigger schools....thats why we need to DEVELOP them...but as you say, its an easy 6-7 yard gain EVERY play when we play 12 yards off
    Speed could be the issue. I have just been consistently disappointed in Clark, who always seems to be a step or two away from making a play. From all accounts (and from a few personal observations), the guy is all over the field making plays in practice. But in games, it just seems that he's always slow to react. I would just like to see our guys close enough to the receivers that they can stick their paw out and bat a pass away or strip it from the opposing receiver. But when UH can convert at least one 3rd and 20+ (I think they converted another one when Boyd, again, was abused by a back out of the backfield), that tells me we're playing way too far off the receivers. If our corners are lined up so far off because we're playing 3 or four deep and/or we're worried about teams killing our safeties (who have never impressed in pass coverage), then so be it. If not, then I would love to see our guys come up and challenge the receivers. Watching the A&M game yesterday, in the 2nd half Florida's DBs looked like capes on the backs of A&M's receivers. I watched our defense and it looked like we were basically trying to create an umbrella 15 or so yards downfield, with the opposing receivers running unchallenged underneath. Then again, I'm not sure we'll see another offense like this again this year except for A&M, so maybe we'll look better against other teams running more traditional offenses at a slower pace. At any rate, I just hope we improve in week 2.

Quote Originally Posted by T1 View Post
    What do you mean by that?
    I don't know how to say it any other way.

We have a true freshman RB on the field because he can help this team. If our freshman DBs could help this team, they'd be on the field. No need to save them for a rainy day.

Champ BruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by mildawg View Post
    Spangler's approach has always been to stop the run and bend and don't break against the passing game. Last night we did neither -we did not consistently stop the run, we had NO pass rush, and our DBs looked lost all game. I dont care how well our offense plays there will be games in which we will not outscore our opponent. I can only hope last night's defensive effort was not indicative of the type of year we are going to see on that side of the ball.

+ Reply to Thread