+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Second half

Big Dog cberg is a splendid one to beholdcberg is a splendid one to beholdcberg is a splendid one to beholdcberg is a splendid one to beholdcberg is a splendid one to beholdcberg is a splendid one to beholdcberg is a splendid one to beholdcberg is a splendid one to beholdcberg is a splendid one to beholdcberg is a splendid one to beholdcberg is a splendid one to behold

Re: Second half

You know we have the Makings of not a good team but a GREAT team...I'm willing to watch and see things develope.

Varsity Bulldog old dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of light

I have heard that the largest improvement in football teams happen between week 1 & 2. The defense looked fairly weak early last year, and they got better, so chin up guys, the young guys will get better, as they gain experience. (Trying to be positive after a win, which seems to be hard for some of you to do.)

Besides LFR only got it half right this time. He predicted the offense would look great between the 20's but not be able to score, and the defense would struggle.

Champ Allgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by BruceWillisDawg View Post
    Spangler's approach has always been to stop the run and bend and don't break against the passing game. Last night we did neither -we did not consistently stop the run, we had NO pass rush, and our DBs looked lost all game. I dont care how well our offense plays there will be games in which we will not outscore our opponent. I can only hope last night's defensive effort was not indicative of the type of year we are going to see on that side of the ball.
    How did we not stop the run consistently? We held Sims to 65 yards and the entire rush offense to 113 yards. That's not nearly as bad as the pass yards, and it's impressive considering how Houston's offense is designed to throw all those slants, comebacks, and screens to spread defenses out to run the ball.

Varsity Bulldog Schoochmagoo is just really niceSchoochmagoo is just really niceSchoochmagoo is just really niceSchoochmagoo is just really niceSchoochmagoo is just really niceSchoochmagoo is just really niceSchoochmagoo is just really niceSchoochmagoo is just really niceSchoochmagoo is just really niceSchoochmagoo is just really niceSchoochmagoo is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by BruceWillisDawg View Post
    Spangler's approach has always been to stop the run and bend and don't break against the passing game. Last night we did neither -we did not consistently stop the run, we had NO pass rush, and our DBs looked lost all game. I dont care how well our offense plays there will be games in which we will not outscore our opponent. I can only hope last night's defensive effort was not indicative of the type of year we are going to see on that side of the ball.
    I thought the d line was supposed to be a strength for us with Ellis, IK, and Lucas. I noticed Dora and Butler played a lot but I noticed Kisseberth late in the game playing de with a hand down. His 240 lbs won't cut it there. I guess guys were just gassed and we were rotating fresh bodies? Regardless, our inability to pressure the qb was a big concern for me and surely didn't help the db's out.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mildawg View Post
    What I have never understood is why our DBs are never even close to the receivers. QP is one of the best receivers in the country, and UH had #2 in his face all night. Our DBs line 10+ yards off the line and are never anywhere close enough to the opposing receivers to break up or intercept a pass. When I watched videos of our early practices in fall camp, our DBs were actually playing pretty tight coverage and contesting passes. But in games we always seem to play soft coverage. Guess we are too afraid of giving up a big play, but patient teams willing to throw those 5-10 yard routes will eat our lunch all year long.
    I agree with you. I've never understood the HUGE cushion that our DB's give opposing receivers. I guess it's the "bend, but don't break" philosophy. I hate it.

HD

Champ MiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Allgood View Post
    How did we not stop the run consistently? We held Sims to 65 yards and the entire rush offense to 113 yards. That's not nearly as bad as the pass yards, and it's impressive considering how Houston's offense is designed to throw all those slants, comebacks, and screens to spread defenses out to run the ball.
    Sims is a good running back too. I would not have guessed that is all the yardage he had and that his longest run was 9 yards. We rotated alot of DT into the game. We rarely blitzed. Piland was getting rid of the ball quickly.

Champ MiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Schoochmagoo View Post
    I thought the d line was supposed to be a strength for us with Ellis, IK, and Lucas. I noticed Dora and Butler played a lot but I noticed Kisseberth late in the game playing de with a hand down. His 240 lbs won't cut it there. I guess guys were just gassed and we were rotating fresh bodies? Regardless, our inability to pressure the qb was a big concern for me and surely didn't help the db's out.
    With Kendrick out, I think we only have 3 serviceable DEs. If we have one go down, we are in trouble. Who elso do we have?? I agree about Kissebirth. He actually did okay. But they had him overpowered a couple of times on play action. If RB had kept the ball, they would have had many more rushing yards.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Not sure if this is a good thing or not. From the official LA Tech web site:

HOUSTON -

- Louisiana Tech's 56-49 win over Houston Saturday was so much of a showcase between two prolific offenses that the teams combined to set several NCAA records.

LA Tech and Houston combined to set NCAA records for most combined plays run in a regulation game (209) and most combined first downs recorded in a game (78).

Louisiana Tech and Houston broke a 40-year old record as the two teams combined for 209 offensive plays in the 56-49 Bulldog victory breaking the old NCAA record of 196 plays run between San Diego State (99) and North Texas (97) on Dec. 4, 1971.

LA Tech and Houston also combined for 78 first downs in the game, topping the old NCAA record for most combined first downs in a game of 72 set by New Mexico (37) and San Diego State (35) on Sept. 27, 1986.

The two teams combined for 87 completed passes, breaking the old NCAA record of 81 combined passes completed in a game set on Nov. 3, 1990 by TCU and Houston.

Louisiana Tech and Houston also set an NCAA record for most passes attempted without an interception. The two quarterbacks attempted a combined 129 passes in the game but neither Tech's Colby Cameron or Houston's David Piland threw an interception. That breaks the old record of 114 passes attempted set by Illinois and Purdue on Oct. 12, 1985.

For complete coverage of Bulldog Football, please follow @LATechFB and @LATechPWalsh on Twitter or visit the official home of Louisiana Tech Athletics at LATechSports.com.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

I was actually fine with our rush defense. Not looking at the boxscore right now but didn't we hold them to around 3.5 or 3.6 YPC? If so thats fine. For the record I have never had a problem with Spanglers rush defense. It's the pass defense that just kills me. Covering the slant. The cushion. Drives me nutz.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Not sure if this is a good thing or not. From the official LA Tech web site:

HOUSTON -

- Louisiana Tech's 56-49 win over Houston Saturday was so much of a showcase between two prolific offenses that the teams combined to set several NCAA records.

LA Tech and Houston combined to set NCAA records for most combined plays run in a regulation game (209) and most combined first downs recorded in a game (78).

Louisiana Tech and Houston broke a 40-year old record as the two teams combined for 209 offensive plays in the 56-49 Bulldog victory breaking the old NCAA record of 196 plays run between San Diego State (99) and North Texas (97) on Dec. 4, 1971.

LA Tech and Houston also combined for 78 first downs in the game, topping the old NCAA record for most combined first downs in a game of 72 set by New Mexico (37) and San Diego State (35) on Sept. 27, 1986.

The two teams combined for 87 completed passes, breaking the old NCAA record of 81 combined passes completed in a game set on Nov. 3, 1990 by TCU and Houston.

Louisiana Tech and Houston also set an NCAA record for most passes attempted without an interception. The two quarterbacks attempted a combined 129 passes in the game but neither Tech's Colby Cameron or Houston's David Piland threw an interception. That breaks the old record of 114 passes attempted set by Illinois and Purdue on Oct. 12, 1985.

For complete coverage of Bulldog Football, please follow @LATechFB and @LATechPWalsh on Twitter or visit the official home of Louisiana Tech Athletics at LATechSports.com.
    Those number are insane. Some good some bad. If our DB's could catch the most passes without an INT record would not have been broken. We had 2 or 3 drops.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    Those number are insane. Some good some bad. If our DB's could catch the most passes without an INT record would not have been broken. We had 2 or 3 drops.
    The fact that there were NO interceptions despite 114 passes attempted....well that tells you all you need to know about the pass coverage on BOTH sides.

Champ TechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant future

Kisseberth did OK and had a QB hurry for an incompletion. He can give us 15 good snaps. We are not deep on the DL.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Stop looking for positives in this win.
    Yeah. No kidding. Only with this bunch can a thread about an offensive positive turn into a defensive negative.

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

I was actually fine with our rush defense. Not looking at the boxscore right now but didn't we hold them to around 3.5 or 3.6 YPC? If so thats fine. For the record I have never had a problem with Spanglers rush defense. It's the pass defense that just kills me. Covering the slant. The cushion. Drives me nutz.
    Good post, I agree.

Bulldog HoustonDawg2008 is a jewel in the roughHoustonDawg2008 is a jewel in the roughHoustonDawg2008 is a jewel in the roughHoustonDawg2008 is a jewel in the roughHoustonDawg2008 is a jewel in the roughHoustonDawg2008 is a jewel in the roughHoustonDawg2008 is a jewel in the roughHoustonDawg2008 is a jewel in the roughHoustonDawg2008 is a jewel in the roughHoustonDawg2008 is a jewel in the roughHoustonDawg2008 is a jewel in the rough

I'm not ready to claim our run defense is amazing just yet...Houston used their quick passing game as their rush attack and were able to get good yardage. Rarely ever saw a draw play or anything like that, so it's hard to say that we effectively stopped the run. That being said, there were a good deal of positives on both sides of the ball, some lingering issues from last year...but hey, atleast they let the play clock run down until 10 seconds in the 4th quarter before snapping this year

+ Reply to Thread