+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Our defensive scheme

Champ Tbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of light Tbone1's Avatar

Re: Our defensive scheme

Cant make a living on all zone and cant make a living on all man....gotta mix it up.
    The problem with straight zone is, like you said....a quality team will pick you apart if given time.
    The problem with straight man, is that all your coverage guys have their backs to the QB and RB. A delayed hand off or a QB scramble will kill you.

A good mix and disguising is the answer.

Champ LookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond repute

Virtually the entire staff is the problem. Spangler is just the immediate problem; but he IS the immediate problem.

Champ Amos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Okay. So why not CHANGE your strategy for this one (1) game when we know we're going to play a team that will throw 77 quick passes and try to run 115 plays???
    Exactly! This coaching staff seems to be very inflexible, IMO. Same with clock management. If the situation warrants it (like it did late in the fourth quarter), SLOW THE GAME DOWN! Use up the clock!! Seems they get into hard-head mode if the need to vary from "the system" arises.

Varsity Bulldog cmendawg is just really nicecmendawg is just really nicecmendawg is just really nicecmendawg is just really nicecmendawg is just really nicecmendawg is just really nicecmendawg is just really nicecmendawg is just really nicecmendawg is just really nicecmendawg is just really nicecmendawg is just really nice cmendawg's Avatar

we certainly should have enough defensive game tape for the coaches to use to train the young players. i know the defensive performance was painful, but the players did get basically 2 games of live game experience (in terms of defensive snaps) in 1 game. i am hoping that will help with the learning curve in the end.

Champ BruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by Allgood View Post
    They played well for their first game. Errors like being out of position on a slant will happen, not to mention after planning for 3 different offensive coordinators.

If the same thing happens just as often against a less talented, less pass-oriented defense, I'll agree the players are more at fault.

Houston's scheme and playbook did not change in one week. Perhaps the tempo was faster and the playcalling more diverse or simply better BUT to say that we played well is being VERY, VERY....NICE. Our defense looked helpless most of the night. The ONLY reason we won and Houston did not was the two loss fumbles by Houston; otherwise, they win we lose. If our defense does not play better we will not win more than (7) games. Rice is a good team, not great, but good enough to beat us if we play defense like we did Saturday night. Our offense will not score 60 pts every game -there will be some games where we will need the defense to step up in order to win.

We made a QB who had little game experience look like a Heisman candidate. I have no problem with a zone scheme that keeps everything short and in front of the defenders BUT when the other team averages 11 yards per pass and 40 first downs - I think it is safe to say that #1 the defensive approach for that game was terrible and #2 we played very poorly. On a positive note, I think we are much better potentially than we played and I hope the players rebound this week and prove it.

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

HD is right again. And LFR.

The coaches should realize when we're in a jam defensively and adjust.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Okay. So why not CHANGE your strategy for this one (1) game when we know we're going to play a team that will throw 77 quick passes and try to run 115 plays???
    Did we? Didn't look like it to me when they played TSU (yes i know their abbreviation is TXST). :icon_wink:

Puppy sportsADDICT Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesportsADDICT Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesportsADDICT Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesportsADDICT Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesportsADDICT Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesportsADDICT Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesportsADDICT Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesportsADDICT Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

I feel confident that the coaches will mix in some different defensive looks this week and our team as a whole will be able to shake of the rust going into game 2 of the season. At least we know we can score on offense; Now it's time for the defense to step it up in front of the home crowd. Yes, I did see quite a few passes that could or should have been intercepted against UH, but then again the defenders did what they were supposed to do by batting them down. I'm ready to see everybody pack out the Joe this weekend. GO BULLDOGS!!!

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    Did we? Didn't look like it to me when they played TSU (yes i know their abbreviation is TXST). :icon_wink:
    If Zook and the other boneheaded commentator knew, surely we did. If not, that's some poor scouting.

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

Tech fans at the game collectively puked when the stadium announcer called us "Louisiana State".

Champ deadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to behold deadawg's Avatar

I think we benefited greatly from some questionable coaching decisions. I can't understand why they punted on 4th and 1 from about midfield when they had us on our heels then turn around and go for it on 4th and 7 from about the same field position.

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

Hopefully this will serve as a wake up call similar to Hawaii, but for this game GATA was MIA.

+ Reply to Thread