+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good Things From Houston Game

Varsity Bulldog B.Y.O.C.B. is a glorious beacon of lightB.Y.O.C.B. is a glorious beacon of lightB.Y.O.C.B. is a glorious beacon of lightB.Y.O.C.B. is a glorious beacon of lightB.Y.O.C.B. is a glorious beacon of lightB.Y.O.C.B. is a glorious beacon of lightB.Y.O.C.B. is a glorious beacon of lightB.Y.O.C.B. is a glorious beacon of lightB.Y.O.C.B. is a glorious beacon of lightB.Y.O.C.B. is a glorious beacon of lightB.Y.O.C.B. is a glorious beacon of light

Re: Good Things From Houston Game

Quote Originally Posted by WWDog View Post
    Is it possible that we played the prevent defense because we knew that we could win this game on our O and we didn't want to expose our real D just yet? Now that would be a nice trick if it is true.
    Many teams do this.. It used to be pretty common back in the day when Tennessee and Florida was a relevant rivalry. They would walk through their cupcakes and then come out with a completely different game plan in week 3 when they matched up. If Dykes is focused on winning every game, he probably would hold back when it comes to showing everything we have.

Champ LookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by WWDog View Post
    Is it possible that we played the prevent defense because we knew that we could win this game on our O and we didn't want to expose our real D just yet? Now that would be a nice trick if it is true.
    You just wandered into the tall grass and are lost. When you give up 49 you're not holding back, you're holding on. Abraham and Liggins didn't play to get game experience, they played because we were desperately trying to find some combination of players that could stop Houston, but we didn't find it.

Our LB's MUST become more effective in pass coverage in the middle of the field, our corner's must play more man, and a safety will have to rotate up and challenge inside receivers at the line of scrimmage. Randle is too slow at LB and must be replaced. If we don't do all of these things, or something with similar effect, what you saw is what will continue all season.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LookingForResults View Post
    If we don't do all of these things, or something with similar effect, what you saw is what will continue all season.
    I saw Tech get a win.

Champ LT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the rough

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we scored a TD everytime we made it into the red zone.

We also had a 99.5 yard drive.

Champ LookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    I saw Tech get a win.
    Giving up 49 every week won't get many more wins - guaranteed.

Champ louisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the rough

Giving up 49 every week won't get many more wins - guaranteed.
    I also saw an offense put up 56 points in the first game.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of Liggins, I thought he improved throughout the game and MAY end up being our best corner. He's put out on some muscle and still is a very good athlete. I'll be watching him closely on Saturday.

Champ JAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by drsdawg View Post
    +100
    The defense did play bad, but I noticed that Abraham and Liggins where in for a good bit of the snaps in the secondary. I'm willing to accept that a good bit of the passing success by houston was due to the fact that the dawgs were giving some young guys game time experience.

Your thoughts?
    They played all the time because they're the best we've got, and they're pretty good too. Also, I saw "some" players dodging plays. Two in particular, that did not do that last year. Thats why you might see them replaced with somebody hungry. I was not told this, I observed this.

Quote Originally Posted by louisiana_dog View Post
    And that certainly won't happen every week.

Puppy CC Dog is just really niceCC Dog is just really niceCC Dog is just really niceCC Dog is just really niceCC Dog is just really niceCC Dog is just really niceCC Dog is just really niceCC Dog is just really niceCC Dog is just really niceCC Dog is just really niceCC Dog is just really nice CC Dog's Avatar

I was really impressed by our O-line. They never got close to Colby, and I don't know if anyone noticed, but on a couple of our scores, there were some bus sized holes! Don't know who said it earlier, but I think this Houston team could beat some people by the time the season is over. I am concerned to say the least about our defense, but it's only week one. Ask the Saints about week 1 performances.

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

See good in bad - Proverb

See bad in everything - BB&B

Varsity Bulldog DustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to all

This was a fantastic win for us. We won the kind of game we lost last year. That is a clear marker of program growth and improvent. Moreover, this was a Houston team that is still very talented, was playing at home in front of an energetic crowd and was absolutely gunning for us - they were physcially and emotionally prepared for this game and gave us their best shot. Plus, they had the great advantage of having already played their first game. Moreover, running an insane amount of plays with NO TURNOVERS in a first game of the season is nothing short of phenomenal. Great job, Dogs.

Champ louisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the rough

If we don't do all of these things, or something with similar effect, what you saw is what will continue all season.
    Quote Originally Posted by louisiana_dog View Post
    And that certainly won't happen every week.
    It was a play off your above statement.

Big Dog cberg is a splendid one to beholdcberg is a splendid one to beholdcberg is a splendid one to beholdcberg is a splendid one to beholdcberg is a splendid one to beholdcberg is a splendid one to beholdcberg is a splendid one to beholdcberg is a splendid one to beholdcberg is a splendid one to beholdcberg is a splendid one to beholdcberg is a splendid one to behold

This ain't rocket science here...What did we do after the Hawaii game - fold up ? Look at the Houston game - giving up so many pts.in the 2nd half last year. You make adjustments accordingly and our history proved we did it... A good team does not expose all their marbles in the first game, 2nd or 3rd game...We have the same coaching staff as last year and I have faith they'll do it again.

We have a lot of young players trying to learn the game that have never played at this level. Look how nervous our young freshman were. They have to play so they can improve. Yes the fans are concerned with the defense allowing so many points - don't you think guys are as well ?

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Our LB's MUST become more effective in pass coverage in the middle of the field, our corner's must play more man, and a safety will have to rotate up and challenge inside receivers at the line of scrimmage. Randle is too slow at LB and must be replaced. If we don't do all of these things, or something with similar effect, what you saw is what will continue all season.
    Good comments about our LB's and our corners. When I re-watched the game, several times I noticed Soloman Randle (9 tackles) dragging behind the Houston receivers. He's simply too slow. Houston picked on him all night. He never seemed to arrive in time.

I also thought it was interesting that Jovantay Crowe (9 tackles) was named Defensive MVP, even though he had 4 fewer tackles than Rufus Porter (13 tackles). I thought Porter played very well Saturday night.

No doubt the LB corp --and our corners-- were our weak link against Houston. Our LB's were under stress, and our defensive game plan didn't seem to put them in the position to capitalize on what Houston was doing. Our DB's need to quit giving the offense 10-12 yard cushions when 95% of the pass plays are under 6 yds. I fault Spangler and the coaches for this.

HD

+ Reply to Thread