+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plays Ran

Champ SixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of light

Plays Ran

I'm struggling to figure out what's going on here. We've ran substantially less plays than both of our opponents in two wins. Isn't our offensive philosophy to run more plays than our opponents. I understand that our defense hasn't been very good, but I can't help but feel that our reach to run an obscene amount of plays is somehow forcing our opponent to run more plays.

Rice: 34 pass, 55 rush = 89 plays
    Tech: 24 pass, 48 rush = 72 plays

Houston: 77 pass, 38 rush = 115 plays
    Tech: 52 pass, 42 rush = 94 plays

We're at a 38 play deficit on the season, but have won them all. Is this normal for the Air Raid?

If anything, I think it speaks to our defense that we've played essentially another 1/2 game but have still managed to win? Maybe?

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

Re: Plays Ran

Quote Originally Posted by SixWings View Post
    I'm struggling to figure out what's going on here. We've ran substantially less plays than both of our opponents in two wins. Isn't our offensive philosophy to run more plays than our opponents. I understand that our defense hasn't been very good, but I can't help but feel that our reach to run an obscene amount of plays is somehow forcing our opponent to run more plays.

We're at a 38 play deficit on the season, but have won them all. Is this normal for the Air Raid?

If anything, I think it speaks to our defense that we've played essentially another 1/2 game but have still managed to win? Maybe?
    i'm kinda thinking its simple math that if you score as quick as we seem to that its natural the other team will have more plays during the game.

Champ turbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond repute turbodawg's Avatar

In part, due to playing from behind. Tech's opponents have trailed for 120 minutes in the two games we've 'managed' to win.

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

The fast starts have been a necessary accomplishment.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

We are very explosive. Lots of big plays this year.

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

And I think we found out our best slow down offense is our defense. Our defense gave up a 7 minute (17 play I think) drive. And that works perfectly for us when we are up by 3 scores.

Hopefully we can figure this out and limit their scoring ability soon. But if isn't very concerning when we're scoring 56 points per game. Hopefully the defense can get stops when we can't score that much.

Varsity Bulldog DelhiDawg is a jewel in the roughDelhiDawg is a jewel in the roughDelhiDawg is a jewel in the roughDelhiDawg is a jewel in the roughDelhiDawg is a jewel in the roughDelhiDawg is a jewel in the roughDelhiDawg is a jewel in the roughDelhiDawg is a jewel in the roughDelhiDawg is a jewel in the roughDelhiDawg is a jewel in the roughDelhiDawg is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by SixWings View Post

Well, like Mark Twain was fond of quoting, " There are lies, damn lies and statistics" Look at time of possession. Rice 34:57 vs 25:03. They had the ball almost 10 min longer than we did. Tech ran a play every 20.875 seconds vs Rice's 23.56 seconds.
    Equal possession of 30 min each and Tech runs 86 plays to Rice's 76. Not quite so bad. (All you nitpickers don't tell me I didn't round to 4 decimal places.)

Champ Beaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud of Beaver-Dog's Avatar

One thing that limits our time of possession is first downs. The clock stops on a first down until the ball is re-set. By the time the officials get the ball down, we are at the line ready to snap it again. As fast as we are scoring, we won't win many
    TOP,s. I love this offense.

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

Time of possession is a dumb stat

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by FishingBack View Post
    It's a dumb stat for a team like ours. Not so dumb for teams that don't run a speed offense that WORKS!

Champ NashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the rough

Except that our D gets worn out and we start giving up points in bunches. Not sure what the solution is though.

Varsity Bulldog Dawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her game Dawgyinmiami's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FishingBack View Post
    It's also not so dumb if you're trying to run a lot of plays. You can't run plays if you don't possess the ball.

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

Man, what is with the noun verb agreement? We went to Tech for God's sake.

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

The concern should be more if we can continue to move the ball and score once we start slowing down. We have seen two weeks in a row that we lose our rhythm and struggle to keep the other offense off the field. Once we learn to do that then we will be unstoppable against most our schedule.

Plus we've got to limit these penalties. Way too many personal fouls. Way too many drive killers and drive extenders. Solve these issues and we will be fine.

Puppy LosMayor is an unknown

"Because of the nature of our offense, our defense is going to have to play a lot of plays," said Dykes, who saw his team surrender 477 yards. "We need more stops on defense. We need to get better on third down defensively." (from LATechsports)

I see what Dykes is saying and I completely agree. We can score in two plays like on the first drive but it would also be nice for our defense to step up while they are on the field. The season is still young though so hopefully we'll get some better play out of our guys.

+ Reply to Thread