+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NBA is stoopid.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

NBA is stoopid.

A $250K fine for resting players?

What a coach does with his players is his business....no one else's.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Re: NBA is stoopid.

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post

Just more of "Big brother is watching" and interference for our society.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

I think they should make a mockery of it from now on. Just reference fake injuries as a reason for sitting players. "Oh, Duncan is sitting out today because he pulled his left carotid tendon."

I agree absolutely dumb. Next thing you will see is refunds to fans if a player is out due to true injury.

Champ RealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post

Totally agree...tickets say you are paying to see a team play, not any particular player or players.

Now if Miami had blown SA out by 50, a case could have been made for a fine since the team could have been considered to be "non-competitive". That was definitely not the case Thursday night. Fielding non-competitive teams is not in the best interest of any pro league. As long as competition is there (as it was), the commissioner is abusing his authority.

Just more reason for me to continue to ignore the Not Basketball Association.

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

Not saying I agree with the fine. But Pop could've easily just not played his guys instead of sending them home. Also I can see Duncan and Manu needing rest through the season. But Danny Green is 25 and Tony Parker is 30. And the Spurs are 16 games into the season. It's not like Pop had a legit reason for this.

Champ RealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by GatorDawg View Post
    It's not like Pop had a legit reason for this.
    In other words you believe David Stern is head coach of every NBA team, and the teams only hire on-site assistants to act in Stern's absence.

A coach doesn't need a reason to make any personnel decision he wants. If that decision is detrimental to the league (fielding non-competitive teams as I stated previously), then and ONLY then should the league be within its authority to take punitive action against a team.

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RealityCheck View Post
    In other words you believe David Stern is head coach of every NBA team, and the teams only hire on-site assistants to act in Stern's absence.

A coach doesn't need a reason to make any personnel decision he wants. If that decision is detrimental to the league (fielding non-competitive teams as I stated previously), then and ONLY then should the league be within its authority to take punitive action against a team.
    Never said any of that.

The Spurs had 9 players. They sent stars home instead of opting out of playing them. I don't agree with the fine but I agree that Pop should've thought better about the decision. In the end they lost. I don't care how much they lost by. This was a game they could've won. It doesn't become justified because they didn't get blown out. They lost he game. And that might become important down the road for playoff seeding.

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Most are agreeing with Popovich. Here is one very good reason he did it:

"...San Antonio is playing its sixth straight road game, fourth game in five nights, and the second game of a back-to-back. The Spurs got their business done early on the trip, too, winning the first five games against the Celtics, Pacers, Raptors, Wizards and Magic."

http://nba.si.com/2012/11/29/gregg-p...sct=nba_t11_a4

They also have a big game tonight against the Grizzlies, much more important to the post season for the Spurs than Miami.

Anybody else think all four commishes are idiots?

Quote Originally Posted by hookdown View Post
    Most are agreeing with Popovich. Here is one very good reason he did it:

"...San Antonio is playing its sixth straight road game, fourth game in five nights, and the second game of a back-to-back. The Spurs got their business done early on the trip, too, winning the first five games against the Celtics, Pacers, Raptors, Wizards and Magic."

http://nba.si.com/2012/11/29/gregg-p...sct=nba_t11_a4

They also have a big game tonight against the Grizzlies, much more important to the post season for the Spurs than Miami.

Anybody else think all four commishes are idiots?
    Could Pop not have given his players more rest during the other stops on the road? He chose to send 4 key players home instead of making the trip to Miami while 2 more of their key players were out with injuries. Send Tim home to rest. Bench Manu but he still is there for an emergency. No problem. Blame Stern for making a harsh fine but Pop is very much to blame for this.

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

So if I understand you correctly, Gator, you would have been OK with them not playing if they had been sitting on the bench, right? It is sending them home that you disagree with.

Popovich has four rings and two COY awards, I figure he knows what he is doing. Frankly, I do not watch the NBA nor care about it, however I hate seeing commissioners punishing teams/players for things that are not against league rules.

Quote Originally Posted by hookdown View Post
    So if I understand you correctly, Gator, you would have been OK with them not playing if they had been sitting on the bench, right? It is sending them home that you disagree with.

Popovich has four rings and two COY awards, I figure he knows what he is doing. Frankly, I do not watch the NBA nor care about it, however I hate seeing commissioners punishing teams/players for things that are not against league rules.
    I think if he didn't send them home then the NBA would have no ground to fine. I do not like the fine. But I do not like what the Spurs did either. They could've done other things to give their players rest without depleting what they had for a game. I can understand why the NBA is upset. You have to protect your brand.

+ Reply to Thread