+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Deer Season

Champ shreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of light shreveportdawg's Avatar

Re: Deer Season

Oh yeah. I need to come get that disk

Champ shreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of light shreveportdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Choudawg86 View Post
    hey Ross, i see in one of the pics a disk that you pull behind the 4 wheeler. how does that work out for ya? any suggestions??
    I have one that works great as long as you strap about 200 pounds of weight to it. Easiest way is to have someone standing on the disk so you don't have to load and unload weight when you get ready to flip it and move to another spot.

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Choudawg86 View Post
    hey Ross, i see in one of the pics a disk that you pull behind the 4 wheeler. how does that work out for ya? any suggestions??
    It works great depending on your soil type. hard clay is hard clay! We have sandy soil and it worked great on our place. I used one in Elm Grove clay in the past and we had to be more "persistent" but we got it done. We maintained several large rows and some medium sized plots with it until we got the tractor. Shreve-we brought the disk in and it's at Mike's house. He's got it on Craigslist so I'll let him know you still want it.
    “Towie Barclay of the Glen, Happy to the maids, But never to the men.”

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

not deer, but no need starting a squirrel thread B got his first squirrel yesterday. His dad isnt much of a squirrel hunter so we had to wait till we went with someone with a dog to score. looking forward to late march and a trip to san antonio to check off the turkey as part of his bucket list. now, if anyone has property that is being torn up by rogue turkeys we could save ourselves a trip to san antonio
    Attached Images Attached Images

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

I remember my first squirrel as if it were yesterday. Me and my dad back in the oak bottoms where they built Ellerbe Road Estates. Single shot .410 and it took a half dozen rounds to get it out of the vines. Dad described my loading and shucking as a "Japanese Fire Drill"! Good times and I'm sure your boy will remember it for the rest of his life..here's to good dads!

Big Dog Easydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the rough Easydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marketdawg View Post
    I remember my first squirrel as if it were yesterday. Me and my dad back in the oak bottoms where they built Ellerbe Road Estates. Single shot .410 and it took a half dozen rounds to get it out of the vines. Dad described my loading and shucking as a "Japanese Fire Drill"! Good times and I'm sure your boy will remember it for the rest of his life..here's to good dads!
    Good to meet you today, came back this afternoon and got some stuffed pork chops that I am about to try.

I always thought of myself as a good neighbor. Really:the guy who checks on the old folks on the block when the power goes out, the guy that can help you fix drywall, the guy you borrow stuff from, the guy that says yes when you ask him to help with darn near anything. I thought I was a good neighbor until a couple of my other neighbors teamed-up and decided I wasn't a good neighbor.

I live in a great; nope-the best (IMO), neighborhood in Shreveport, La. As my luck would have it I had some folks move in sort-of recently: one directly beside me and the other one house over. Just my luck that I get sandwiched in between these two: One is a cat lover who built an exact replica of her own house only smaller in her backyard for her (seemingly) 90+ cats to use as they like and the other is a card-carrying liberal head case straight from California. The latter informed me that she's been married and divorced over 6 times and I know exactly why...only she doesn't really have a clue. I'm not kidding folks-you just can't make this stuff up.

This past few hunting seasons have been true trials as both neighbors are PETA, hate me, and don't blink-EVER-when they're screaming at you in your driveway. I'm not joshing..they don't blink. It's just not human and is somewhat disconcerting and downright dangerous when you're skinning a deer in your carport. Knives are sharp and are kinda' dangerous when you're having to concentrate on two female hippies (who I really think "enjoy each others company" quite a bit) that are screaming, and I mean screaming and hollerin AND finger-wagging at you.

Now I do have good-scratch that-great neighbors. I am a neighborhood man as my home and my business are less than a block apart in this great place. I'm (scarily) somewhat respected in this community. I only wonder; when did being an outdoorsman become being the "enemy". I share my wild game with many lesser fortunate folks and there are a bunch of kids on my block that stop by to hang-out in my man-room/shop and look at all the deer racks, hand carved duck decoys and such. As I type this I begin to think that maybe I am still a good neighbor...and maybe the term "liberal" means just the opposite.

Then again I think that I could have been a little more easy-going when the cat-lady neighbor came over to address me about the letter I slipped through her mail slot telling her that "I'm tired of her cats all over my cars, yard, ect...". She began the conversation with "So I know you're not a fan of cats.." and I cut her off. I said, "No..I love cats. If you cook them just right they taste just like chicken". And on the other side neighbor maybe I shouldn't have been skinning a deer in my carport where she could see it. BTW: The only way she could have seen it is if she had peeked, and I mean really tried hard to peek through my super-high privacy fence I built. I have no idea how all of those deer "pieces" got strewn" about her yard. I blamed it on the other neighbors cats and the local cops agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Easydawg View Post
    Good to meet you today, came back this afternoon and got some stuffed pork chops that I am about to try.
    You too Easy. Thanks for the business and I hope the Poboys and the chops were acceptable and I hope your mother is doing great after the hip-deal. Great to meet you and GO DAWGS!

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

Ross, its that damn Bambi movie and these folks thing little cute deers have human personalities. First of all, if youre blasting me about hunting then you better dang well be a complete vegitarian. If not, I feel the same way my dad did, and I quote, "they dont want you to kill deer because they have cute brown eyes, well, i think cows have cute brown eyes also". to me lots of times the difference is, you have someone that feels a connection and wants to go harvest his food and you have the other that prefers someone else do the harvesting and slapping it on the grill and handing it to them in a wrapper that says "big mac". hard to make the connection with that wrapper and big brown eyes unless you're the one working in the slaughter house.
    I do have to admit that over the years i've become a little more sensative to how i treat a deer i've taken. Now I'll put that sucker on the back of my tailgate in a second to drive to town but once in town i'll close the tailgate. I guess thats understanding that there are folks that arent really against hunting but would prefer not to see the critter drapped out on the tailgate with blood dripping off the bumper. If theres someone on the fence I'm just afraid it push them to the wrong side.

Champ hoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond repute

... her cats all over my cars, yard, etc. ...

When's her birthday?

Any outdoorsman that hasn't read this book should be shunned from all hunting camps IMO: http://www.jamesswan.com/IDOH.html
    It really does help you understand how to talk to non-hunters in a logical (non-redneck) manner and is one of the finest things I've ever had the pleasure of reading. Chou..in this day and age it is always a good idea to make sure your game be it deer or other) be not exposed to the public during transport. the days of strapping it to the roof-rack of the station wagon; which me and my dad used to do, are long gone.

+ Reply to Thread