+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Deer Season

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

Re: Deer Season

well, Brendan scored this morning around 10:30 getting a doe, now he is under the 4pt or better rule (self imposed).

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

“Towie Barclay of the Glen, Happy to the maids, But never to the men.”

Champ mentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud of mentechsters's Avatar

Anyone else noticing signs of an early rut? Seeing lots of fresh scrapes and heard a few reports of bucks chasing does. Seems early but maybe the full moon and cold snap got em going.

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

I think they're chasing right now. Maybe somebody smarter than me on the subject of moon cycles could clear this up but there are scrapes everywhere and rublines early as well. Hasn't helped me out at all as I haven't seen a darned thing in any of my recent hunts but there sure is lotsa sign. I've got pics of some nice ones but can't seal the deal. Oh well..maybe tomorrow evening?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mentechsters View Post
    Anyone else noticing signs of an early rut? Seeing lots of fresh scrapes and heard a few reports of bucks chasing does. Seems early but maybe the full moon and cold snap got em going.
    went to pick up my sons deer this morning, processor told me that he's taking in 8 bucks to every one doe and "good'uns" as he put it. said from the reports his clients have given him is that they are infact chasing the does this week .. . . . and i gotta work. maybe tomorrow afternoon i shut her down a little early and head to the stand

Daytime pics you say?!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dates are banged-up one one camera but these are all recent. That 6 pt better watch out!

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Ross... DD and I were brushing the North duck blind Saturday morning and I looked across the canal and there was a big 8 or 10 point easing off into the brush about 30 step from us. I think he was lying just in the edge of the brush, close to the water when we rode up. He stayed awhile, and finally got tired of us talking and making racket, so he got up and eased off into the brush.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Varsity Bulldog Dawg85 is a jewel in the roughDawg85 is a jewel in the roughDawg85 is a jewel in the roughDawg85 is a jewel in the roughDawg85 is a jewel in the roughDawg85 is a jewel in the roughDawg85 is a jewel in the roughDawg85 is a jewel in the roughDawg85 is a jewel in the roughDawg85 is a jewel in the roughDawg85 is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by marketdawg View Post
    Just curious. How old would you say that deer is? 3 or 4? That is a nice looking buck. I'm fairly new to deer hunting. thanks.

I'm not very good at aging deer myself. We have a rule on this property that we will not shoot a buck unless it is 8 pts or better and the spread is definitely beyond the ears. I'm not sure how old this one is but I know it won't get any older if it happens to walk out when I'm in the stand:icon_wink:. I hunted for a few hours yesterday evening and didn't see a deer. That makes three consecutive hunts without seeing a thing. Hopefully I'll get a good duck report from Tech77 so I can spare myself the deer stand and swap it for the duck blind. The 6 point in the previous pics will be an obvious exception to the 8pt rule!

Varsity Bulldog Dawg85 is a jewel in the roughDawg85 is a jewel in the roughDawg85 is a jewel in the roughDawg85 is a jewel in the roughDawg85 is a jewel in the roughDawg85 is a jewel in the roughDawg85 is a jewel in the roughDawg85 is a jewel in the roughDawg85 is a jewel in the roughDawg85 is a jewel in the roughDawg85 is a jewel in the rough

I'm not very good at aging deer myself. We have a rule on this property that we will not shoot a buck unless it is 8 pts or better and the spread is definitely beyond the ears. I'm not sure how old this one is but I know it won't get any older if it happens to walk out when I'm in the stand:icon_wink:. I hunted for a few hours yesterday evening and didn't see a deer. That makes three consecutive hunts without seeing a thing. Hopefully I'll get a good duck report from Tech77 so I can spare myself the deer stand and swap it for the duck blind. The 6 point in the previous pics will be an obvious exception to the 8pt rule!
    I'm with you! Of course, if I ever saw a deer like that come out I'd probably start shaking and couldn't hold the rifle steady. I also hunted yesterday evening and actually shot a nice doe but couldn't find her when she ran. Found the blood trail but lost it due to crappy flashlight (I learned my lesson). My dad found it this morning not far from where we were looking. Oh well, as I told my wife, we'll keep eating chicken- no venison yet.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg85 View Post
    I'm with you! Of course, if I ever saw a deer like that come out I'd probably start shaking and couldn't hold the rifle steady. I also hunted yesterday evening and actually shot a nice doe but couldn't find her when she ran. Found the blood trail but lost it due to crappy flashlight (I learned my lesson). My dad found it this morning not far from where we were looking. Oh well, as I told my wife, we'll keep eating chicken- no venison yet.
    http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...Light&i=414695
    Good old Memorial Gym

The very best "light" to use is the full-sized Coleman Lantern. I always have one and also keep extra bottles of fuel in my vehicle. They light up the night in a full circle and have saved many a deer from being lost on our place. I actually get out of the stand if I shoot a deer close to dark-go get my lantern- and then go look for the deer. There's just something comforting about having that full circle of light that helps keep you looking longer and helps to keep you from getting turned around in the dark woods.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by mentechsters View Post
    not sure that they are chasing. I know the deer are running a lot early in the morning at our camp. Seems like they get up and stretch their legs while it is cool. They pass right back into the thicket mid morning and bed right back down. It looks like they are chasing because that is what I thought at first. I could be wrong.

The very best "light" to use is the full-sized Coleman Lantern. I always have one and also keep extra bottles of fuel in my vehicle. They light up the night in a full circle and have saved many a deer from being lost on our place. I actually get out of the stand if I shoot a deer close to dark-go get my lantern- and then go look for the deer. There's just something comforting about having that full circle of light that helps keep you looking longer and helps to keep you from getting turned around in the dark woods.
    friend of mine has something that kinda looks like a coleman, but, it has a shield on the back which directs light only forward. man when he lit that think up a few years ago for me, the blood just jumped out at you. he said he had tried about every blood like there was and nothign beat that. I've also seen flounder lanterns that look like they night would do great as well.

+ Reply to Thread