+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Another possible blow to the Big East?

Champ LATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond repute

Another possible blow to the Big East?

Just perusing the Big 10 board on Ncaabbs, and someone mentioned an insider report of Rutgers joining the Big 10.

In light of the new bowl and the possibility of UL bailing out, could this be possible?

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Re: Another possible blow to the Big East?

Possible of course, but not probable in my opinion. The B1G is at an even number now and unless ND asks to join, I do not see them expanding again for a while. Now if something happens and say the SEC or Pac 12 goes to 16/14 or something like that, then that might spur them to do something. But I think they stand pat for a while unless forced to do something by forces outside of their control.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

If RU bolts, then UConn will go with them. Those 2 would give the B1G either end of the moderately large-ish NYC market. And with NYC gone, the BE's tv payouts drop off significantly. Enough to make the pending FBO members (Boise, SDSU, Navy) re-examine the numbers.

Should they get poached on the other side (Louisville and/or Cincy to the Big 12), that'll be the end. With the bc$ spiggot dry, the remaining 7 bball members will discontinue the fball experiment. The former CUSAs (Houston, SMU, UCF, USF, Memphis) along with Temple will need a home

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    Should they get poached on the other side (Louisville and/or Cincy to the Big 12), that'll be the end. With the bc$ spiggot dry, the remaining 7 bball members will discontinue the fball experiment. The former CUSAs (Houston, SMU, UCF, USF, Memphis) along with Temple will need a home
    I think they stay together and pick up a few from CUSA and Mountain West in that case. But I think that is a pretty improbable scenario. Big 12 will add one within the next year to get back to 12 and then I think it stays that way for maybe 4-5 years to see how this playoff thing works out before we have another round of insanity.

Varsity Bulldog rmitch5411 is a jewel in the roughrmitch5411 is a jewel in the roughrmitch5411 is a jewel in the roughrmitch5411 is a jewel in the roughrmitch5411 is a jewel in the roughrmitch5411 is a jewel in the roughrmitch5411 is a jewel in the roughrmitch5411 is a jewel in the roughrmitch5411 is a jewel in the roughrmitch5411 is a jewel in the roughrmitch5411 is a jewel in the rough

If it's the same thread I read a couple of days ago over there, some one points out firther along that the referenced article is from maybe two years ago. I don't remember exactly how long ago, but it is not current. Unless of course this is a different thread.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Count the votes. Right now it's 10 fball schools vs 7 bball. (Remember the FBOs don't get a vote)

If any three current fball members leave (for the ACC, B1G, or Big12), that's it. The Catlicks will block any further all sports expansion. And there won't be enough cash to retain or attract FBOs.

BE football will only continue as long as the 3 conferences listed above decline to expand further. I still think we'll be playing conference games with Houston and Memphis before this decade is out.

Wild card scenario -- ironically, the ACC could also save BE football were it to add more BE bball schools, and give the BE football members a supermajority to control further expansion. (But I'm not counting on that.)

Champ parialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    Count the votes. Right now it's 10 fball schools vs 7 bball. (Remember the FBOs don't get a vote)

If any three current fball members leave (for the ACC, B1G, or Big12), that's it. The Catlicks will block any further all sports expansion. And there won't be enough cash to retain or attract FBOs.

BE football will only continue as long as the 3 conferences listed above decline to expand further. I still think we'll be playing conference games with Houston and Memphis before this decade is out.

Wild card scenario -- ironically, the ACC could also save BE football were it to add more BE bball schools, and give the BE football members a supermajority to control further expansion. (But I'm not counting on that.)
    Our shirt bet stands, of course, and so I still do not believe that you are correct for a variety of reasons. I would add to that, though, that in the event that you are correct about the first part (any further expansion blocked - and no new conference formed), our fate may lay westward. One way or another, I do not foresee a C*USA with 18-20 teams (with six in Texas).
    University of Houston '01. Any references to "we" or "us" likely refer to UH. Cheers!

Totally see your point. I guess we'll just have to find out.

And thanks for always keeping it civil, pari. Your input it an asset to our board.

Hope we'll get to tailgate one of these days.

Champ RealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by parialex View Post
    Our shirt bet stands, of course, and so I still do not believe that you are correct for a variety of reasons. I would add to that, though, that in the event that you are correct about the first part (any further expansion blocked - and no new conference formed), our fate may lay westward. One way or another, I do not foresee a C*USA with 18-20 teams (with six in Texas).
    If C-USA ever got to 20 I would bet on a split. The western group would be the six in Texas, Tulsa, Tech, Tulane, and USM. The rest would be in the eastern group.

+ Reply to Thread