+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UNLV game predictions...

Bulldog werbulldogs seems to have something between the earswerbulldogs seems to have something between the earswerbulldogs seems to have something between the earswerbulldogs seems to have something between the earswerbulldogs seems to have something between the earswerbulldogs seems to have something between the earswerbulldogs seems to have something between the ears

Re: UNLV game predictions...

59 to 21 Dawgs all the way!!

Varsity Bulldog Ellis88 has turned a few heads around hereEllis88 has turned a few heads around hereEllis88 has turned a few heads around hereEllis88 has turned a few heads around hereEllis88 has turned a few heads around here

Quote Originally Posted by SoFloDawg View Post
    Our D seems to like to take it easy when our O is really clicking so I think they keep giving up points because they can

UNLV: 49
    Tech: 56
    They put up 14 vs Northern Arizona and 2 as talented 8 vs Wash St. Those 2 teams are easily just as bad as our team, plus they are traveling East to a place that has proven hard to play for the west coast teams. No way they get 49 pts. Maybe 31. But not near that many.

Champ turbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond repute turbodawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ellis88 View Post
    Those 2 teams are easily just as bad as our team...
    WTF

Varsity Bulldog Ellis88 has turned a few heads around hereEllis88 has turned a few heads around hereEllis88 has turned a few heads around hereEllis88 has turned a few heads around hereEllis88 has turned a few heads around here

Quote Originally Posted by turbodawg View Post
    WTF
    Bad is relative. Nevertheless, no, I don't think our team is bad. But defensively we have not proven that we are anywhere close to being above average. We are only average because of the turnovers we create. I have said that all season. I was comparing our team defensively to those 2 teams. Sorry for pissing any people off with my poor word usage

Big Dog SeekerHound is a jewel in the roughSeekerHound is a jewel in the roughSeekerHound is a jewel in the roughSeekerHound is a jewel in the roughSeekerHound is a jewel in the roughSeekerHound is a jewel in the roughSeekerHound is a jewel in the roughSeekerHound is a jewel in the roughSeekerHound is a jewel in the roughSeekerHound is a jewel in the roughSeekerHound is a jewel in the rough

I think this is a 62-24 blowout game. WITH THAT SAID, WE COULD EASILY MAKE THIS GAME HARD ON OURSELVES! These guys do have skilled players, but they seem very out of touch with one another. I felt that way about Virginia too and they looked no where near out of touch with each other (or our players, but I won't go there). I see Cameron and Patton having career games with 500 passing yards and 200 reception yards to the respective players. Our ground game "struggles" with no more than 200 yards. I expect us to turn the ball over twice, but we intercept the ball twice and force three fumbles for turnovers o help our offense out.

Sorry if I seem cocky for a change, but we should win this one IF WE DON'T OVERLOOK UNLV!

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

Dogs win, BB&Ber's bitch & bash, the wheel turns...

Champ BlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud of

Bad is relative. Nevertheless, no, I don't think our team is bad. But defensively we have not proven that we are anywhere close to being above average. We are only average because of the turnovers we create. I have said that all season. I was comparing our team defensively to those 2 teams. Sorry for pissing any people off with my poor word usage
    ---
    It's good to see all the new puppies posting here on the board!
    definatly, some excitement for the Bulldogs
    Don't take any afence and please keep those tost and thoughts coming!
    LaTech-52
    UNLV-6

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

I went to the Minnesota-UNLV game and I was not that impressed. I think we should win big. Winning by less than three touchdowns would be a little disappointing.

The current UNLV coach, Bobby Hauck, is in his third season and has an overall record of 5-21. Their only win this year came over Air Force in overtime. But, the team plays better than their record shows. Hauck took over the team from Mike Sanford who went 16-43 in five seasons as head coach. Sanford had previously served as OC under Urban Meyer at Utah, and when Meyer went to Florida all UNLV fans were claiming that they had hired the "real brain" of the Urban Meyer offensive system. Sanford was a terrible recruiter and didn't leave any talent on the team. Last year Hauck had 17 freshmen starting on the team. So, they lost a lot, but it was truly a rebuilding year. This year they have Nick Sherry starting at QB. Sherry is a redshirt freshman who originally committed to Colorado, then transferred and sat out a year.

The team plays hard and their D doesn't give up late in games, which most UNLV teams have done in the past. Sherry is coming along and will be pretty good in time. Right now, if you get any pressure on him, he will make a lot of mental mistakes. The O-line isn't that good, so I think we should get pressure on him, but our defensive injuries worry me a little. Not much, but a little.

Their DBs can definitely be thrown on. They are young, and they try hard, but UNLV does not have anyone that can go head to head with Patton. Their D line is decent, but the experience on our O line should win that battle. If Cameron has time, he should easily pick these guys apart. Their pass game is good but not great, and the run game is decent. If we get a lead, they will have a hard time playing catch-up.

UNLV has played several overtime games this year, and they mostly made it to overtime because they don't quit in the 4th quarter, but they haven't been terribly impressive. The Minnesota game was sloppy for both teams. The QB at Minnesota ran all over them, but can't throw and accurate pass to save his life. Week 2, they lost to Northern Arizona, an FCS team that they should have beaten. The beat Air Force in OT, then got beaten by Utah State (and OC Mike Sanford) last weekend. Utah State was only up by a TD with about 5:00 to play, but then USU got a pick 6 and another score to win by about 20.

They play until the whistle, but when you are accustomed to losing, you tend to give up when the lead is big. This is a young team with an inexperienced QB and a lot of sophomores and freshmen on the field.

So, here are my predictions:

-- Kenneth Dixon will run for about 150 yds, because the UNLV defense has trouble with bruising runners...especially someone with Dixon's speed. If we still had Tevin King, he would rip these guys apart. Holley and Lee will also have good days.
    -- Cameron will throw for 300+, provided the coaches don't take him out of the game.
    -- Quinton Patton will score whenever he wants to. I'll say 3 TDs for the General.
    -- The short passing game will be wide open, because their young players will have a tough time anticipating all of the plays our offense will throw at them. If Dixon and Patton both get going early, it will be a long day for the Rebels.

-- Defensive line should get a lot of pressure on Sherry. I'm assuming that Ellis and Randle will be out this game (hopefully just this one) and we should learn a few things about our other LBs.
    -- DBs will pick Sherry off at least once, probably twice. He hasn't faced a high scoring team yet, and I look for him to force a lot of bad passes trying to keep up on the scoreboard.
    -- Their run game is the strongest part of their offense, because a couple of their best receivers are out for the season. They will try to run and keep our offense off the field. That game plan won't work, but we still need our DL and LBs to play well.

*** The real key to this game is not letting our attitude beat us. We just had back to back BCS wins on the road. We have a big game next weekend. If we get cocky about past wins, or get caught "looking ahead," we could make this game much closer than it should be. It will be almost impossible for our guys to lose this game, but if they did, it would hurt badly.

Final score:
    UNLV 10
    La. Tech 56
    Big game for Dixon, Patton, and Cameron.

Quote Originally Posted by BlindDog View Post
    ---
    It's good to see all the new puppies posting here on the board!
    definatly, some excitement for the Bulldogs
    Don't take any afence and please keep those tost and thoughts coming!
    LaTech-52
    UNLV-6
    Thanks. Trying to get my family on board. I am from around Monroe so most my family went to NLULM, so they are LSU fans. However, they are starting to pay attention to us. I make them

Does unlv run a spread/shotgun offense or are they a power offense? I believe our d is better suited better against power offenses, even with our undersized LBs. This could change with the loss of Ellis, if he is out multiple games.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

They run an offense similar to the "pro style" offense that Dooley ran at Tech. They will split out a few receivers, but it's not really a "spread" offense. Running is their strong suit, and their best RB is a guy named Tim Cornett who has been doing a pretty good job. Their O line returns a lot of starters from last season, and might be the best part of the team. Through the first two games, they allowed 5 sacks on about 70 drop backs. The QB, Sherry, is not a threat to run the ball. He is a pretty traditonal pocket passer, so if we get pressure on him, we should get a few sacks or force him into bad throws.

I didn't mention special teams in my last post, but that will be big for us. In the Minnesota game, UNLV scored 27 points, but 14 of those were in OT, when they started at the 25, and only one scoring drive in the entire game started in UNLV territory. Same story against Northern Arizona. UNLV had a 14-0 lead early, but couldn't sustain drives and eventually lost. If our punter and kicker can win the field position battle, their young QB and young offense will struggle.

The defensive backfield only returns one starter from last year, Sidney Hodge. He will probably be guarding Patton most of the night, but that won't be much of a contest. If Patton is covered, I would expect every other receiver to be open. Patton might see a lot of double teams.

Another tidbit that might make this game interesting behind the scenes:

The AD at UNLV is Jim Livengood, and he previously served as AD at Arizona for a number of years. He was the AD there when Sonny Dykes was the OC. After moving to UNLV, one of Livengood's first moves was to fire Mike Sanford (a good move in my opinion, and the opinion of every single Rebel fan I know here). When the process started for finding the next coach, Dykes put his name in and said he wanted the job. Livengood ruled him out because he said that head coaching experience was necessary for the spot.

It eventually came down to Dennis Franchione (sp?) who is now at Texas State, (formerly coached at A&M and Alabama) and Bobby Hauck, who had coached at Washington under Ty Willingham before taking over at Montana and winning a lot of games there. Hauck eventually got the job, but everyone sort of thought that Livengood slapped Dykes in the face by not considering him.

I do not know if Dykes feels like he got slapped, but the guys on local sports talk radio certainly do, and they are expecting him to exact revenge on Livengood this weekend. They keep talking about how bad Dykes wanted this job. I remember his name being tossed around then, but I don't remember a lot of focus being put on him by media members. Anyway, it will be interesting to see if Sonny feels the need to settle any old scores.

Big Dog Rickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really nice

I just hope they aren't looking past this game to next week and the Aggies. I know I am! haha. Living inside the Republic of Texas, I've been waiting for years for the chance that Tech would rise up and pop the Ags. This would be a good year to do it with all of the changes, but the new Aggie QB has a few games experience now and is looking good.

One week at a time, though.
    Tech 41
    UNLV 31

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

This one has trap game written all over it. Scares me to death. I don't do predictions but I do hope we are focused and play well enough to rest our starters because not only do we have a big game the next week but we no longer have a bye week this season.

Bulldog SoFloDawg seems to have something between the earsSoFloDawg seems to have something between the earsSoFloDawg seems to have something between the earsSoFloDawg seems to have something between the earsSoFloDawg seems to have something between the earsSoFloDawg seems to have something between the earsSoFloDawg seems to have something between the earsSoFloDawg seems to have something between the ears

Well, I hope you're right. I'd love to see them blowout a team before we play tamu

They put up 14 vs Northern Arizona and 2 as talented 8 vs Wash St. Those 2 teams are easily just as bad as our team, plus they are traveling East to a place that has proven hard to play for the west coast teams. No way they get 49 pts. Maybe 31. But not near that many.

+ Reply to Thread