+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Few thoughts...

Champ OmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud of OmahaDawg's Avatar

Few thoughts...

in my humble opinion...

1. SD was correct in what he said about the fans, he just should not have said it. If he was going to call anyone out, it should have been to those LaTech grads or "fans" that never went to the game last night. For the record, I would rather have a head coach speak out than to not appear to care...just my thought.
    2. To those that say increase the size of the Joe and don't play in Shreveport, we should simply sell out the Joe first to create demand. Nonsense talking about expansion. Plus you can fit more than 30,600 in the Joe with SRO areas and the grass berm.
    3. The goal line play was a fumble, but the game-changing plays were 2 things: a) blocked PAT that they scored 2 on b) our decision to go for 2 on earlier before they missed the extra point.
    4. We have some very good players on this team with many of them being Freshman...should be a good rest-of-season.
    5. We have to recurit some speed to play D. Our D plays very hard, but really need some speed badly.
    6. Looking forward to catching Dawgs in person for the first time this year on November 3 and again on November 17!

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Few thoughts...

One sellout at Aillet Stadium will get the ball rolling. An A&M type games needs to happen in Ruston.

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

Very well put!!

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

I actually think Dykes' calling out the fans' premature exit shows that he is taking more ownership in the program. He didn't think it reflected well on our fans, our team, or our school---for A&M to have more fans cheering at the end of OUR home game. That needed to be said. And for him to say it shows leadership, imo. He used terms like "we" and "us" and I think it will make a difference...

Champ LookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde View Post
    One sellout at Aillet Stadium will get the ball rolling. An A&M type games needs to happen in Ruston.
    Get more motels; figure out how to have toilet paper in the bathrooms, adequate concessions and adequate game day staffing; bring this up again when we can host such a game without embarrassing ourselves (hint: it may be a while).

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog View Post
    I actually think Dykes' calling out the fans' premature exit shows that he is taking more ownership in the program. He didn't think it reflected well on our fans, our team, or our school---for A&M to have more fans cheering at the end of OUR home game. That needed to be said. And for him to say it shows leadership, imo. He used terms like "we" and "us" and I think it will make a difference...
    Excellent points.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

A&M had more fans actually CHEERING than we did at kickoff.

What he said served zero purpose. Fans can't be shamed into attending a ball game.

Once again he blamed lack of execution for falling behind 27-0. No "we" or "us" mentioned there.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    A&M had more fans actually CHEERING than we did at kickoff.

What he said served zero purpose. Fans can't be shamed into attending a ball game.

Once again he blamed lack of execution for falling behind 27-0. No "we" or "us" mentioned there.
    I don't know about purpose, but it does show concern and vested interest. Are you implying that he blamed fans for the loss?

He basically thought the mass exodus was offensive to the team and was compelled to address it.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

I don't know about purpose, but it does show concern and vested interest. Are you implying that he blamed fans for the loss?

He basically thought the mass exodus was offensive to the team and was compelled to address it.
    Not implying that he blamed the fans for a loss. How do you know what he thought? How do y'all know which group of fans he was referring to? The ones who left at or before halftime or the ones who left when we were 3 scores down with 2 minutes left?

If what you and so many other say is true about what he said, he would have said it again during the Monday presser and on the Monday coaches show. After a cooling off period he relized he had messed up.

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Not implying that he blamed the fans for a loss. How do you know what he thought? How do y'all know which group of fans he was referring to? The ones who left at or before halftime or the ones who left when we were 3 scores down with 2 minutes left?

If what you and so many other say is true about what he said, he would have said it again during the Monday presser and on the Monday coaches show. After a cooling off period he relized he had messed up.
    After Manziel scored, there was a mass exodus of LaTech fans out of the stadium. The aisles were packed with people leaving. I'm quite sure that's what he was referring to because, although some did leave, people didn't exit in droves at any other point.

He might not have brought it up again because he had already spoke his mind after the game. Dykes knew many of the people that left were listening to the radio broadcast.

Varsity Bulldog DustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to all

I think we need to apply some grace on all fronts in this - to the team, fans and the coaches. We all know that this game was emotionally super-charged for the entire Tech Nation. It is unfortunate that so much had to be riding on this one game - that the non-AQ's have absolutely no margin for error, while the AQ's do. EVERYBODY was hopeful, but naturally uptight. I think the pressure on the team by outside expectations was tremendous and that the pressure they put on themselves was even greater... "This is a destiny game", "This is the most significant game in Tech history", "Everything is riding on this one game", "This is a 15 million dollar game". That is pretty heady stuff, and certainly enough to wear on emotions. As far as the team goes, anyone who has ever competed athletically knows that your adrenaline goes into over-drive on game days, and it is tough to manage the physical highs and lows properly. Add to that the aforementioned issues, coupled with an extremely late start time, and I can certainly see why our team had some first half struggles because they had already had to deal with an emotional track meet all day.

Now, as for the fans, our emotions were also in over-drive and the massive dissapointment of getting down by 27 points was extremely tough to process. Frankly, in many cases, it is because people love Tech so much, and are so emotinally tied to the team, that getting away from the game was the only way they felt they could deal with the disappointment. They, too ,were crashing. (I am not agreeing with that choice, but I am saying that I do understand it). For the others who were not really that tied to Tech, they frankly were not seeing any reason to stay because we were only showing that it was going to get worse. (I know that I when I have been an outside observer of other teams in apparent blow-out games, I have left early as well.)

As far as the coaches are concerned, I give them grace too. Coach Dykes' post-game remarks only serve to prove to me how much he wanted to win, and that he was COMPLETELY emotionally invested and spent when we fell so incredibly close to our goal. It is the "almost, but not quite" losses that tend to sting the most. He was having to process mega-tons of disappoinment, and sometimes that gets a little messy around the edges. Coach, I cut you a break on that, and I really appreciate that you care that much about my school's success. Thank you for leading us to greatness and such high expectations.

Yes, I still have that "knife-in-the-gut" feeling about how close we were and what "might have been", but good grief, we are all grieving over the fact that we cannot be 12-0. We have a very real chance to be 11-1! Mercy, how many season have there been when we all been hoping to simply be "bowl eligible"? Rome/Tech was not built in a day, but Sonny has put us on an extremely fast-track for success. It is stunning how far he has brought us in a relatively brief time. BTW, I still don't give up hope for some amazing surprises this year. We all know college football is a wacky and undpredictable world. Let's just continue to learn and develop and move forward. When we finish 11-1 and are ranked again as result, the bowl situation may work out better than we now think. We just might find ourselves in a place that we would not have dreamed possible only two years ago. Man, I love being a Tech Bulldog!

Varsity Bulldog Dawg74 is a name known to allDawg74 is a name known to allDawg74 is a name known to allDawg74 is a name known to allDawg74 is a name known to allDawg74 is a name known to allDawg74 is a name known to allDawg74 is a name known to allDawg74 is a name known to allDawg74 is a name known to allDawg74 is a name known to all

Man, DustyDog, if you ain't a 'reverend" you missed your calling!! Nah, just picking....well said and I agree 100%!!

Champ LouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by LookingForResults View Post
    Get more motels; figure out how to have toilet paper in the bathrooms, adequate concessions and adequate game day staffing; bring this up again when we can host such a game without embarrassing ourselves (hint: it may be a while).
    "Agree"
    "Like"

Champ rockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by DustyDog View Post
    I think we need to apply some grace on all fronts in this - to the team, fans and the coaches. We all know that this game was emotionally super-charged for the entire Tech Nation. It is unfortunate that so much had to be riding on this one game - that the non-AQ's have absolutely no margin for error, while the AQ's do. EVERYBODY was hopeful, but naturally uptight. I think the pressure on the team by outside expectations was tremendous and that the pressure they put on themselves was even greater... "This is a destiny game", "This is the most significant game in Tech history", "Everything is riding on this one game", "This is a 15 million dollar game". That is pretty heady stuff, and certainly enough to wear on emotions. As far as the team goes, anyone who has ever competed athletically knows that your adrenaline goes into over-drive on game days, and it is tough to manage the physical highs and lows properly. Add to that the aforementioned issues, coupled with an extremely late start time, and I can certainly see why our team had some first half struggles because they had already had to deal with an emotional track meet all day.

Now, as for the fans, our emotions were also in over-drive and the massive dissapointment of getting down by 27 points was extremely tough to process. Frankly, in many cases, it is because people love Tech so much, and are so emotinally tied to the team, that getting away from the game was the only way they felt they could deal with the disappointment. They, too ,were crashing. (I am not agreeing with that choice, but I am saying that I do understand it). For the others who were not really that tied to Tech, they frankly were not seeing any reason to stay because we were only showing that it was going to get worse. (I know that I when I have been an outside observer of other teams in apparent blow-out games, I have left early as well.)

As far as the coaches are concerned, I give them grace too. Coach Dykes' post-game remarks only serve to prove to me how much he wanted to win, and that he was COMPLETELY emotionally invested and spent when we fell so incredibly close to our goal. It is the "almost, but not quite" losses that tend to sting the most. He was having to process mega-tons of disappoinment, and sometimes that gets a little messy around the edges. Coach, I cut you a break on that, and I really appreciate that you care that much about my school's success. Thank you for leading us to greatness and such high expectations.

Yes, I still have that "knife-in-the-gut" feeling about how close we were and what "might have been", but good grief, we are all grieving over the fact that we cannot be 12-0. We have a very real chance to be 11-1! Mercy, how many season have there been when we all been hoping to simply be "bowl eligible"? Rome/Tech was not built in a day, but Sonny has put us on an extremely fast-track for success. It is stunning how far he has brought us in a relatively brief time. BTW, I still don't give up hope for some amazing surprises this year. We all know college football is a wacky and undpredictable world. Let's just continue to learn and develop and move forward. When we finish 11-1 and are ranked again as result, the bowl situation may work out better than we now think. We just might find ourselves in a place that we would not have dreamed possible only two years ago. Man, I love being a Tech Bulldog!
    I think because we have such potential this year that we ran into a BCS or Bust mentality. I think that we have the chance to still have an amazing and memorable year for La Tech football. I hope that people don't get too dejected and turned off as a result of the A&M game. 11-1 is still very impressive, and it will be the best year I've ever witnessed from Tech.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

How could any REAL Tech fan have left that game early? I mean outside of some medical issue or whatever.

Did any of you really think the Dawgs were dead down 27-0? I didn't. I thought we were gonna win. Never stopped saying that to fans around me. Okay....even if you thought we couldn't overcome that deficit, what about getting back into the game, did you consider that? Okay....even if you thought the best we could do was match them score for score after that and lose by 4 TDs, didn't you think the team needed our support?

Of course, there many THOUSANDS of true blue Tech fans still there to the final whistle. We were rewarded by witnessing a heroic comeback. And now, 20 years from now, 50,000 Tech fans will CLAIM they stayed to the end..... but only we 8-10K who actually did, will really know.

+ Reply to Thread