+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Make-A-Wish Child to be at the Utah St. Game

Champ BhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Mak-A-Wish Child to be at the Utah St. Game

It is really hard to get this many feel good stories(Tyrone, make-a-wish, Hayden Slack) out of the NCAA, much less just a single football team.

This is why this is such a special team and time, nice guys don't always finish last!:icon_wink:

Champ RhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Just took the cobbler out of the oven and the secret chili ingredient off the smoker and thought I would check the board before retiring and saw this thread. When I saw the date of this game many months ago I was flooded with memories of what seems so long ago - I started to put them in a thread of their own a time or two and share them with everyone but just could not get the strength to do it but I am moved to do so now at this wee hour as I read the posts above.

November 17th...11/17 holds a special place in my heart every year but 11-17-90 is special for several reasons. Our oldest son, David, was born November 17, 1986. He was a typical happy baby boy growing up in Ruston with 2 parents that loved him very much. Less than 2 years later along came little sister and then after another tenth of a score our baby boy, the caboose, who many of you know from my tailgates, rolled into our lives. Unfortunately, around the time sister was born another interloper named leukemia visited our home and made "friends" with David. He was diagnosed around noon at Green Clinic and we had him at St. Judes Childrens Research Hospital in Memphis shortly after the sun went down that same day - he was very ill and the expert physicians there made us no promises as to if he would ever leave the hospital, but leave he did. He was a fighter and within a few weeks remission was achieved!

Between little sister and brother being born he relapsed...we always knew it was a possibility. The doctors told us if that happened chances of going into remission again were not good...but he was a fighter and he licked it again, if only for a season. By now David was almost 4, his hair was coming back in and life was good. We had always taken him to football games whenever we could squeeze it in between clinic visits and he loved the sport. In 1990 his fourth birthday fell on a game day. We asked him if he wanted a regular birthday party or a tailgate birthday party and he did not hesitate in answering - a tailgate birthday party it was!

Tech Athletics heard of David's story and decided to make his birthday extra special. We tailgated under the pines on the hill below the TAC that crisp, clear sunshiny day just above the spot where my tent now stands. David was named an honorary team captain (I am pretty sure Bobby Slaughter was one of the actual captains that day). After a great tailgate that included cake and ice cream, we went to the Joe and David got to walk out to midfield with the big boys for the coin toss. That may have been my boys last birthday, as he relapsed for the last time that Winter, but it was also our first victory over a Division I program and sealed our invitation to the I-Bowl that year. It was a glorious day that I will remember as long as I live, and a memory that I know David and I will rejoice over when I see him again in eternity. I got to go now. HBTD!

Champ Geaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by RhinoDawg View Post
    Just took the cobbler out of the oven and the secret chili ingredient off the smoker and thought I would check the board before retiring and saw this thread. When I saw the date of this game many months ago I was flooded with memories of what seems so long ago - I started to put them in a thread of their own a time or two and share them with everyone but just could not get the strength to do it but I am moved to do so now at this wee hour as I read the posts above.

November 17th...11/17 holds a special place in my heart every year but 11-17-90 is special for several reasons. Our oldest son, David, was born November 17, 1986. He was a typical happy baby boy growing up in Ruston with 2 parents that loved him very much. Less than 2 years later along came little sister and then after another tenth of a score our baby boy, the caboose, who many of you know from my tailgates, rolled into our lives. Unfortunately, around the time sister was born another interloper named leukemia visited our home and made "friends" with David. He was diagnosed around noon at Green Clinic and we had him at St. Judes Childrens Research Hospital in Memphis shortly after the sun went down that same day - he was very ill and the expert physicians there made us no promises as to if he would ever leave the hospital, but leave he did. He was a fighter and within a few weeks remission was achieved!

Between little sister and brother being born he relapsed...we always knew it was a possibility. The doctors told us if that happened chances of going into remission again were not good...but he was a fighter and he licked it again, if only for a season. By now David was almost 4, his hair was coming back in and life was good. We had always taken him to football games whenever we could squeeze it in between clinic visits and he loved the sport. In 1990 his fourth birthday fell on a game day. We asked him if he wanted a regular birthday party or a tailgate birthday party and he did not hesitate in answering - a tailgate birthday party it was!

Tech Athletics heard of David's story and decided to make his birthday extra special. We tailgated under the pines on the hill below the TAC that crisp, clear sunshiny day just above the spot where my tent now stands. David was named an honorary team captain (I am pretty sure Bobby Slaughter was one of the actual captains that day). After a great tailgate that included cake and ice cream, we went to the Joe and David got to walk out to midfield with the big boys for the coin toss. That may have been my boys last birthday, as he relapsed for the last time that Winter, but it was also our first victory over a Division I program and sealed our invitation to the I-Bowl that year. It was a glorious day that I will remember as long as I live, and a memory that I know David and I will rejoice over when I see him again in eternity. I got to go now. HBTD!
    Beautiful story Rhino. Fighting back the tears......

Champ dchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to all dchi72's Avatar

Now I am crying. Saturday is going to be an emotional day.

Champ RhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto.

Big Dog coop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud of coop1448's Avatar

OMG. There are no words to adequately say how sorry I am for these losses. These break my heart. But so many people are putting daily "I'm thankful for" on FB. I'll put mine here. I am thankful i can and have been a part of this wonderful family of bulldogs for 42 years. I am thankful I was able to witness a random act of kindness from the General to this beautiful child and hope it's repaid tenfold. I am thankful Rhinodog was given this beautiful soul, even if only briefly. I am thankful for this University Family! #WEAREBULLDOGS!!

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Rhinodawg for sharing.

Champ ChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond repute

Heavenly Father, bless these parents, these kids and all the kind people that minister to them...from the doctors, to the nurses, to friends, family members and yes, Lord, even complete strangers that appear in the form of star athletes, that bring a little light into a hard, cold and dark place. They are a smile in a sad time, a Friend when they feel all alone. As You said, "to them that do this to least of these, you have also done to Me." Thank You Jesus. In YOUR Name I beg these blessings, Amen.

GO DAWGS!!

Champ NashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for sharing, Rhino. Very touching. <wiping tears>

GATA Goddess and Ultimate Fan Winner 2011 Dawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond repute Dawgmatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckK3 View Post
    Heavenly Father, bless these parents, these kids and all the kind people that minister to them...from the doctors, to the nurses, to friends, family members and yes, Lord, even complete strangers that appear in the form of star athletes, that bring a little light into a hard, cold and dark place. They are a smile in a sad time, a Friend when they feel all alone. As You said, "to them that do this to least of these, you have also done to Me." Thank You Jesus. In YOUR Name I beg these blessings, Amen.

GO DAWGS!!
    Well now I've cried 3 times this morning and it's not even 9 in the morning. Y'all are killing me. :
    Rhino, bless you and your family and our Bulldog family. Thank you for sharing that. You inspire me my friend.
    And Chuck that was a beautiful and moving prayer. Thank you. I'm so fortunate to know good people like y'all!

Champ Amos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond repute

Rhino....just wow. A wonderful story with a tragic end, but one you have so masterfully and articulately used as a testiment to David and that Tech team, as well as your entire family. You seldom hear of the wonderful stories like David's and Cael's, and I now feel fortunate to have heard both! God bless you and your family. God bless Quinton Patton and Adrian Cole for their unselfless generosity!

Champ Westv is a jewel in the roughWestv is a jewel in the roughWestv is a jewel in the roughWestv is a jewel in the roughWestv is a jewel in the roughWestv is a jewel in the roughWestv is a jewel in the roughWestv is a jewel in the roughWestv is a jewel in the roughWestv is a jewel in the roughWestv is a jewel in the rough

I would love to give my skybox tickets and I'd give my sideline pass to on field. If anyone knows how to relay this message to them or have them contact me, let me know- David/ Faulk Collier Moving & Storage official mover for the Bulldogs! I hope I get a chance to meet this young man. It will make my afternoon.
    I have been moved by all the stories on this board.

Please email me david@faulkcollier.com, pm me, call me 318-323-2254, cell 318-372-0994

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

Man, I have no words. I will hold my kids a little tighter tonight and tell them I love them more. Thanks Rhino for sharing that with us. Having worked in bone marrow transplant for the last 7 years, I'm all to familiar with leukemia.

Big Dog aan is on top of his/her gameaan is on top of his/her gameaan is on top of his/her gameaan is on top of his/her gameaan is on top of his/her gameaan is on top of his/her gameaan is on top of his/her gameaan is on top of his/her gameaan is on top of his/her gameaan is on top of his/her gameaan is on top of his/her game

I am not much of a cryer, but this was too touching. This is the first time I cry in a veeeeery long time, in fact I do not recall crying in the last 10-12 years of my life, even when I lost some loved ones. Rhino God bless your heart.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Thanks for sharing Andy.

+ Reply to Thread