+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Why spread teams struggle on defense

Puppy SlickRick Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeSlickRick Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeSlickRick Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeSlickRick Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeSlickRick Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeSlickRick Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeSlickRick Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeSlickRick Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeSlickRick Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeSlickRick Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeSlickRick Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

Re: Why spread teams struggle on defense

Quote Originally Posted by eagle2180 View Post
    A lot of it has to do with the philosophy and priorities of the coaching staff. I would say the bulk of our best athletes play on the offensive side of the ball.
    Don't agree. There are more athletes on defense than offense. There are athletes in the skill positions of offense, but you need athletes across the board on defense. Defensive players REACT, while offensive players EXECUTE, that's a big difference.

Champ eagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to behold

While I agree you need better athletes on defense, I'm not so sure it holds true with our current team.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

We have NO pass rush. Opposing QBs have all day. Our DL does not even come close to pressuring QBs and they don't put their hands up to try to block passes. In effect, they do nothing.

Suffered thru a good portion of the SJSU game again (replay). And, it is ridiculous how much time the QB had, and all QBs have against us. Can't expect a secondary to cover for that long.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    Don't agree. There are more athletes on defense than offense. There are athletes in the skill positions of offense, but you need athletes across the board on defense. Defensive players REACT, while offensive players EXECUTE, that's a big difference.
    there's that word again. I don't want a defense that reacts, I want a defense that anticipates. It takes very good instinctive athletes to do that.

Champ LookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog View Post
    I don't believe TF is as rigid as you suggest.
    You are also not convinced that statistically having the second worst defense in NCAA HISTORY is reason enough to replace Spangler. The warning signs are abundant. By the time you are willing to acknowledge a problem, we'll be a train wreck again.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by LookingForResults View Post
    You are also not convinced that statistically having the second worst defense in NCAA HISTORY is reason enough to replace Spangler. The warning signs are abundant. By the time you are willing to acknowledge a problem, we'll be a train wreck again.
    If you're basing an evaluation of TF on statistics, your argument makes no sense.

Champ LookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond repute

If you're basing an evaluation of TF on statistics, your argument makes no sense.
    I referenced statistics only in regard to Spangler. My concerns with TF can be seen now in subtle ways, but are currently more conceptual than tangible but, if I'm correct, will become very evident over the next two seasons. Consequently, there is no current sound basis for change regarding the OC. I'm just convinced there will soon be an apparent basis and wish we could implement some subtle changes now that would make the offense so much more effective now, particularly against better teams, and into the future.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

I referenced statistics only in regard to Spangler. My concerns with TF can be seen now in subtle ways, but are currently more conceptual than tangible but, if I'm correct, will become very evident over the next two seasons. Consequently, there is no current sound basis for change regarding the OC. I'm just convinced there will soon be an apparent basis and wish we could implement some subtle changes now that would make the offense so much more effective now, particularly against better teams, and into the future.
    And I posited some reasoning as to why Spangler might be retained in the recruiting forum. There was context you left out and I never said he "should" be retained.

And I posited some reasoning as to why Spangler might be retained in the recruiting forum. There was context you left out and I never said he "should" be retained.
    So sue me!

So sue me!

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

The OL needs a major rebuild. Forget about the QB having time to throw or having holes to run through next year.

It's an experience thing.

Quote Originally Posted by FishingBack View Post
    The OL needs a major rebuild. Forget about the QB having time to throw or having holes to run through next year.

It's an experience thing.
    Yep. Unless strong leadership quickly emerges on the OL, it will be a looong season.

+ Reply to Thread