+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why spread teams struggle on defense

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Re: Why spread teams struggle on defense

Quote Originally Posted by LookingForResults View Post
    Putting better players in poor schemes and failing to coach good fundamentals will result in marginal improvement, but not the improvement that anyone seeks or the team requires.
    IMO, Dykes needs to hire our new 2013 Def Coordinator NOW, so he can have an immediate impact on recruiting. I think everyone agrees that Spangler is done. So get on with it. Our new DC will need to recruit speed, and tacklers. And he'll need to do it quickly. Our new DC will likely have to raid the JC ranks for most of his talent. But make no mistake, we need an influx of defensive talent for 2013.

HD

Champ TechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant future

You keep saying Tony is rigid and yet he has adapted and made the running game a bigger part of the offense. He installed the big bone formation to get Dixon more blocking by big bodies. He looked at what we had coming back and decided to go with Tevin and Dixon. I think most of us would have stuck with Holley and Hunter. Yes, if he runs the 2003 version of "the system" and never updates it, people will catch on, just like they did with Crowton. I have not seen the offense lacking options or adaptation. As I understand things, Colby has a run/pass option on nearly every formation based on what the defense does. Arguing that some day in the future this offense will no longer be successful is not a reason to enjoy it now,

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    I can't speak for Higgins, but if Scottie Young earns the starting role, we will NOT be run oriented. No offense to Colby Cameron, but Scottie Young is a real passer. Young can be three times as good as Cameron at QB. Young is very talented.

Now.....having said that, I freely acknowledge that other factors can play into Young's future. Some kids get to college and just don't handle it well. Some get homesick, some get in trouble, and some just don't pan out. So anything's possible. But, on paper, LA Tech fans should be in for a real treat at QB in 2013. Scottie Young is very, very good.

HD
    Cameron is vastly underrated as a passer. I think he has the BEST deep ball in the country! Plus, there aren't many types of passes he can't make. I remember our players talking about how he is the best basketball player on our team--which speaks to his athleticism. I think he will get a shot at the next level.

Champ rangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by LookingForResults View Post
    TF gets recognized for statistics. The limitations of his approach will be apparent over the next couple of years unless our schedule continues to primarily consist of teams with losing records. Over the next year or two, good defenses will adjust. If TF's rigid philosophy remains so, I believe offensive output (against good defenses) will decline significantly. Unless his approach can expand to be more creative, I believe we've won a battle but will lose the war (long-term, sustained success). I remain convinced that my original criticism's of TF's offensive philosophy are valid.

That is where we find ourselves with Spangler. Two years ago I was making similar observations about him, even while the defense looked good statistically. Strategic talent and turnovers were masking bad schemes and poor coaching fundamentals.
    LFR, I disagree with you on our offensive scheme. There are limitless variations in the scheme which change with every play. Oregon sure seems to keep it going. A defense can adjust to what is thrown at them today and the variations can make them look silly on the next series of downs.

Boxer....you have heard me rant forever about the D. The scheme, coupled with a drop in talent this year, has exposed us. There has been NO playing to our strengths this season on defense. However, there is no way that we are a LAST place defense with the talent we have. There is zero creativity on defense. Two schemes. TWO. There are obvious situations were we could throw a wrinkle in, however, we chose to play the same zone read, drop 7 in coverage, which simply does not work......as evidenced. Our D needs an overhaul. Yes, we need more speed and talent, but we need a creative defense.....much like our offense.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog View Post
    Cameron is vastly underrated as a passer. I think he has the BEST deep ball in the country! Plus, there aren't many types of passes he can't make. I remember our players talking about how he is the best basketball player on our team--which speaks to his athleticism. I think he will get a shot at the next level.
    I agree that Colby is an underrated passer. He throws a good deep ball. And he's certainly been very good at protecting the football. But Scottie Young is THAT good, and then some.

HD

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by rangerdawg View Post
    LFR, I disagree with you on our offensive scheme. There are limitless variations in the scheme which change with every play. Oregon sure seems to keep it going. A defense can adjust to what is thrown at them today and the variations can make them look silly on the next series of downs.

Boxer....you have heard me rant forever about the D. The scheme, coupled with a drop in talent this year, has exposed us. There has been NO playing to our strengths this season on defense. However, there is no way that we are a LAST place defense with the talent we have. There is zero creativity on defense. Two schemes. TWO. There are obvious situations were we could throw a wrinkle in, however, we chose to play the same zone read, drop 7 in coverage, which simply does not work......as evidenced. Our D needs an overhaul. Yes, we need more speed and talent, but we need a creative defense.....much like our offense.
    Maybe Dykes will hire Mike Stoops!

Champ rangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog View Post
    Maybe Dykes will hire Mike Stoops!
    As much of a goober as he was, I always liked what Joe Lee Dunn did with his D at Memphis. I know it was a failure at NMSU, but what he did at Memphis was amazing. Took a not so talented group of guys and disguised his weakness with the defensive version of the spread. You never knew what was going to happen when the ball was snapped. Just give me someone that is not so rigid and is willing to throw some bodies around.

Champ dawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to behold dawgs1's Avatar

IMO, Dykes needs to hire our new 2013 Def Coordinator NOW, so he can have an immediate impact on recruiting. I think everyone agrees that Spangler is done. So get on with it. Our new DC will need to recruit speed, and tacklers. And he'll need to do it quickly. Our new DC will likely have to raid the JC ranks for most of his talent. But make no mistake, we need an influx of defensive talent for 2013.

HD

I know who can correct this. Anybody ever heard of Tyrone Nix? Former USM linebacker, coached at USM, South Carolina, Ole Piss & is currently the Co-Defensive Coordinator for the MUTS. Good pedigree & is also a great recruiter. We could certainly afford him & he could certainly help our defense.

Champ SixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of light

Wasn't Nix's name thrown around when we hired Sonny?

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

I agree that Colby is an underrated passer. He throws a good deep ball. And he's certainly been very good at protecting the football. But Scottie Young is THAT good, and then some.

HD
    I think CC is good. Its just that Young has been blessed with more physically.

That said, as good as Young will be, I KNOW Dixon and King are damn good. That should make Youngs job a lot easier. There will be growing pains but there is no reason why our offense shouldn't be effective next year and extremely good the year after.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawgs1 View Post
    I know who can correct this. Anybody ever heard of Tyrone Nix? Former USM linebacker, coached at USM, South Carolina, Ole Piss & is currently the Co-Defensive Coordinator for the MUTS. Good pedigree & is also a great recruiter. We could certainly afford him & he could certainly help our defense.
    LOL stealing a second coordinator from them would cause them to become unhinged.

That said Nix was a hot commodity when he was at USM. He sounds like someone worth talking to.

Big Dog TBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of light TBDawg01's Avatar

Tyrone Nix was also the DC for the last few years at Ole Miss and their Defenses sucked.

TB

Champ SixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of light

Tyrone Nix beat GT with the personnel at MTSU.

Pretty sure a triple option like GT's, even in a down year, would put up half-a-hundred on us without too much effort.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by ChipDog View Post
    According to the article the only other successful spread offenses that have acceptable defenses are Oregon and TX A&M and they are only ranked 47 and 49 in defense.
    waited til the final #'s came in to respond. These teams may not run the exact same style we do, but they run at least what I would call a variation of the spread.........

Texas Tech #39
    Cincy #41
    Oklahoma #44
    Oregon #46
    TAMU #53
    Mizzou #56
    La Monroe #70
    Ok St #72
    Houston #114
    Arizona #115
    WVU #117
    Baylor # 119

I know those bottom 4 are just as sad as we are, but I would argue that if we were good enough to be in Houston's spot we would be 11-1 right now. I think you would be hard pressed to prove that anyone on that list had an easier schedule than we had.

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    I think you would be hard pressed to prove that anyone on that list had an easier schedule than we had.

^^^^THIS!!!

+ Reply to Thread