+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Athletes

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Athletes

I would say Ouachita has at least 10 kids who are faster than Rummel’s fastest player, and overall, team speed was (is) an obvious disparity. OHS was probably a little bigger too, overall, but the biggest difference was speed. The question is, how is it possible that some programs seem to always have a stable of such great athletes? One would think in the ebb& flow of HS enrollment even the best programs would have some down years….just because. But some programs never seem to miss a beat.
    A group of we old dudes, one of which played at De La Sallein the 1960’s back in their heyday, and the rest Rummel grads/fans, were discussing the obvious differences in pure athleticism. Together we have DECADES of HS football exposure and experience. The topic, given that we were playing one, turned to some of those North Louisiana programs, namely WM and Neville, and of course Evangel. Let me hasten to add that Curtis was also mentioned, which is an unapologetic football factory. So it’s not just a “North Louisiana” thing. But, much like Byrd last year, it was like watching a track meet. Not just on offense, but OHS’ speed on defense was obvious too. Our RB, Keith Fulton, is not exactly slow but many times what looked like a huge playabout to happen, say an option play where Fulton got outside, had a blocker ahead on the only DB in a position to make a play, ended up being a 3-7 yard gain as a Lion defender shot out of nowhere to make a tackle.

In our group of old dudes, this observation summed it up: they are playing a different game than us.

Rummel looks like a typical HS team. Just kids playing football. And, yes, that also describes many players on the OHS side too. But…there were (are) some kids that simply look waaaaaaaaaaaaay more physically mature.
    BTW, there was a very obnoxious WM fan present. Never shutup…well, he moved twice when challenged by some Rummel fans who simply had hadenough of his BS. I spoke to him after the game. Asked him if he’s such a huge WM fan why wasn't he in Bossier supporting the Rebels. Said WM didn’t need his help to beat a crappy Airline team. He was there “to scout” Rummel. Said WM would crush Rummel by 40 points. No contest. Well, maybe. So…we made the walk to the parking lot together and I engaged him in a conversation. He neverlet up. Said Rummel did not deserve being ranked #1 He said: The difference in athleticism was so obvious, it was a joke. I asked him why was that. How is it that WM gets all these athletes? He said, we make ‘em! He wouldn’t explain that comment.Then he said, do yourselves a favor and lose in the semis, or face utter humiliation in the Dome. Nice guy.
    I do want to add, spoke with several OHS fans before and after the game. They were very gracious and classy. Sorry for the long post, but I just find it curious that some programs seem to, year after year, be so loaded with athletes.
    Comments?

Puppy greggrambling is a jewel in the roughgreggrambling is a jewel in the roughgreggrambling is a jewel in the roughgreggrambling is a jewel in the roughgreggrambling is a jewel in the roughgreggrambling is a jewel in the roughgreggrambling is a jewel in the roughgreggrambling is a jewel in the roughgreggrambling is a jewel in the roughgreggrambling is a jewel in the roughgreggrambling is a jewel in the rough greggrambling's Avatar

Re: Athletes

I was at the Rummel/OPHS game last night but I didn't see you. I was sitting with my cousin from Metairie. Both sides had some animals on the field. #75 for Rummel was massive. OPHS was faster but look who won! Being a Tech fan, I was disappointed that 100 points was not scored by the two teams...other than that, it was an enjoyable game. Obnoxious fans are a part of sports in general and WM in particular. btw-I was also at the Rummel/Byrd game last year...Byrd was way faster than Rummel too, and won. This year, Rummel did a better job of controlling how many times OPHS fast guys got past the line of scrimmage. My cousins and I have decided to make this our annual reunion...whichever game Rummel comes north for.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

The guy who you say said he was a WM fan is full of crap. If he was a WM fan he'd have been in WM watching the game. I call BS on that whole post.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

You can call BS on whatever you wish. I said the guy "claimed to be" a WM fan. You were there? You spoke to him? I did. He was wearing a WM shirt and talking a lot of chit about WM. Maybe he's just an idiot. But that doesn't change the fact he claimed to be a WM fan. And now I know the WM game was actually in WM. I just assumed they played in Bossier since this guy was following scores on his phone, Ipad thingy, whatever it was.

Quote Originally Posted by greggrambling View Post
    I was at the Rummel/OPHS game last night but I didn't see you. I was sitting with my cousin from Metairie. Both sides had some animals on the field. #75 for Rummel was massive. OPHS was faster but look who won! Being a Tech fan, I was disappointed that 100 points was not scored by the two teams...other than that, it was an enjoyable game. Obnoxious fans are a part of sports in general and WM in particular. btw-I was also at the Rummel/Byrd game last year...Byrd was way faster than Rummel too, and won. This year, Rummel did a better job of controlling how many times OPHS fast guys got past the line of scrimmage. My cousins and I have decided to make this our annual reunion...whichever game Rummel comes north for.
    We were on the north 40, I guess it is...closest to the Lionzilla.

Puppy ChargerPride Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeChargerPride Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeChargerPride Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeChargerPride Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeChargerPride Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeChargerPride Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeChargerPride Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

All teams have obnoxious fans, even Rummel. I apologize for his apparent arrogance. But, West Monroe fans would have been at the West Monroe game in West Monroe (watching an outstanding Airline quarterback). And, he would not have been scouting anything except for his own opinions on things. The West Monroe coaches would have been at the West Monroe game.

Quote Originally Posted by ChargerPride;1305752[B
    ]All teams have obnoxious fans, even Rummel. [/B]I apologize for his apparent arrogance. But, West Monroe fans would have been at the West Monroe game in West Monroe (watching an outstanding Airline quarterback). And, he would not have been scouting anything except for his own opinions on things. The West Monroe coaches would have been at the West Monroe game.
    Been attending Rummel games for over 40 years. I've never seen an obnoxious fan.

As for that dude, as I said he claimed to be a WM fan. He was wearing a WM shirt. But, also was wearing a Dallas Cowboy sock hat and sat on an LSU stadium seat. So, maybe he's just naturally obnoxious. Anyway, I accept that he is NOT representative of most WM fans.

Back to the athlete discussion.....

Champ maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Been attending Rummel games for over 40 years. I've never seen an obnoxious fan.

As for that dude, as I said he claimed to be a WM fan. He was wearing a WM shirt. But, also was wearing a Dallas Cowboy sock hat and sat on an LSU stadium seat. So, maybe he's just naturally obnoxious. Anyway, I accept that he is NOT representative of most WM fans.

Back to the athlete discussion.....
    Nah...too easy.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    Nah...too easy.
    Exactly!

Big Dog TBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of light TBDawg01's Avatar

All I can add to this is: I have been attending high school and college games for over 25 years now and the only place I have ever had a problem is WM (twice). In my personal opinion, WM has some of the worst fans in the country.

TB

I didn't intend for this thread to become an analysis of fans.

But, no one seems to be able, or willing, to comment on the apparent athleticism advantage some programs SEEM to have. I same "seem" because maybe there really is nothing to it. But, I know what I've seen.

Puppy greggrambling is a jewel in the roughgreggrambling is a jewel in the roughgreggrambling is a jewel in the roughgreggrambling is a jewel in the roughgreggrambling is a jewel in the roughgreggrambling is a jewel in the roughgreggrambling is a jewel in the roughgreggrambling is a jewel in the roughgreggrambling is a jewel in the roughgreggrambling is a jewel in the roughgreggrambling is a jewel in the rough greggrambling's Avatar

@dawg80: stadium oriented E/W. You were on the West end ... I was on the East 40... that's why I didn't see you ... Several Rummel fans near me were bad-mouthing the coaching staff and the officiating staff pretty heavily, until Rummel took the lead ... then all was forgotten. Both sides had their hosses. Some teams develop hosses and some wait for them to show up. I'd rather develop.

If "critiquing" refs qualifies one as being obnoxious, then guilty! But, then, so is a bunch of folks here and elsewhere.

Oh, and if expressing dissatisfaction with the coaches of your team makes one obnoxious....hmmm, where does that happen??? Not on this board, eh! :icon_wink:

Champ maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    If "critiquing" refs qualifies one as being obnoxious, then guilty! But, then, so is a bunch of folks here and elsewhere.

Oh, and if expressing dissatisfaction with the coaches of your team makes one obnoxious....hmmm, where does that happen??? Not on this board, eh! :icon_wink:
    Greg did not say "critiquing," or "expressing dissatisfaction," he said "bad-mouthing...coaching...and officiating...pretty heavily," then forgetting all about it when their team got ahead. To most folks, people who bitch and moan about referees and coaches only when their team is losing are obnoxious. Is it really so hard to believe that Rummel could have obnoxious fans like everyone else? Time to remove your Raider-colored glasses.

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Back to the original topic at hand ...

For the most part, "inner city" schools tend to have better athletes. I think there are historic reasons for this, but basically anywhere you have a pool of people who come from an athletic heritage, you tend to have some pretty good athletes. In some of the bigger cities (i.e. New Orleans and Baton Rouge), those pools sometimes get dilluted because of the great presence of private schools. And the pools that don't get dilluted sometimes aren't successful because they lack the coaching to develop those talent pools. You especially see this in some New Orleans-area public schools, who have tons of raw talent but little development of that talent.

Take, for instance, a McKinley vs. Catholic game that I went to earlier in the season (I was scouting an offensive lineman that I hope we sign). Catholic had a couple of great athletes (their soph RB is small, but will be a high major recruit) and a bunch of good, private school football players. McKinley had a stud WR/DB, a very athletic TE and a couple of others players who were naturally good football players. They also had great athletes all over the field who didn't know a lick about playing football. Catholic put a butt-whoopin' on 'em. Man, it was ugly! And could have been uglier! It was clear which sideline had the better coaching that night.

I'd say you see this in the Monroe area. There's a naturally large amount of gifted athletes. Those athletes are spread among Ouachita, Neville, Wossman and Carroll. Wossman and Carroll have good athletes. Historically, they've had some good college players. But they aren't as good as Ouachita and Neville because of coaching (though, it's not like those two schools haven't had down years; again, it goes back to coaching).

Alexandria has some great athletes. Saw them with my own eyes for years. Just look at Peabody and the basketball program they turn out every year. It's loaded. The football program stinks, though. Coaching. I could go on and on ad nauseum, but I'll wrap it up. The South produces great athletes. It's in the gene pool. Some of those athletes get the chance to shine, but many others simply never reach their potential.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

+ Reply to Thread