+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Marshall Plan, Cognitive Dissonance, and Perspective

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

The Marshall Plan, Cognitive Dissonance, and Perspective

A decade ago the members of this board discussed at great length the merits of the "Anyone, Anytime, Anywhere" approach to program building (ala Florida State / Fresno State) versus the "Marshall Plan" (later employed by Boise). By the end of Bicknell's tenure, the consensus here was that in the BCS-era, the growing divide between the "haves" and the "have-nots" had rendered the former approach obsolete. The way to build a program was to get wins, get wins, get wins. I was among those who arrived at this conclusion.

Through yesterday I was, frankly, disgusted with our team's late-season collapse. We were exposed as a team that can only beat bad teams, but not good ones. Missed tackles, dropsies, stupid penalties, low energy ... this season had far greater potential than WAC #3.

My disgust was confronted with cognitive dissonance this morning when I realized -- this is what we wanted. We wanted to get scads of wins, even if it meant playing patsies. We wanted to get national attention. We wanted to get N.La excited about our team. Nine wins, in historical perspective, is still really stinking good for Tech's program. 25K in JAS, on quarter break no less, is pretty freakin fantastic. Back-to-back winning seasons had not even happened since I became a Tech fan half my life ago. And there was a time, very very recently, where we could expect to choke against at least one of the supposed cupcakes. But we beat all 9 teams we were "supposed" to beat, and got blown-out by nobody.

Though I remain disappointed whenever I think of what this year might have been, my former disgust has been replaced with acceptance that this was, on the whole, a really good year when viewed in perspective of the program's history and ongoing development. Not the best it could have been, but still an excellent foundation on which to build.

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: The Marshall Plan, Cognitive Dissonance, and Perspective

We need to just be as good as possible and it doesn't matter who's on the schedule. We were good this year, just not Top 25 good. There is no way to know who will be good before you schedule them.

Who would have thought that the AQ teams on our schedule (Illinois and Virginia) were the patsies and the WAC teams (Utah St and San Jose St) were the good teams?

Champ domangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond repute domangue's Avatar

This is a great post. There is no doubt that ADBVDV has done a great job of scheduling for success!
    Next year with games @ Kansas and @ NC State present similar opportunities for us to build on.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by domangue View Post
    This is a great post. There is no doubt that ADBVDV has done a great job of scheduling for success!
    Next year with games @ Kansas and @ NC State present similar opportunities for us to build on.
    What is ADBVDV?

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

The Marshal Plan is absolutely the way to go. No doubt in my mind.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    What is ADBVDV?
    BVDV.jpg

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Why not say BVDV?

Big Dog dawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud of dawg1984's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T1 View Post
    We need to just be as good as possible and it doesn't matter who's on the schedule. We were good this year, just not Top 25 good. There is no way to know who will be good before you schedule them.

Who would have thought that the AQ teams on our schedule (Illinois and Virginia) were the patsies and the WAC teams (Utah St and San Jose St) were the good teams?
    Well, my initial response was going to be "Absolutely!" Then I researched everyone's records back to 2009. Illinois' and Virginia's records appear to support that weaker AQ teams are not nearly as much better than Non-AQ teams as believed and portrayed. I see a definite indication of a good recruiting class cycling through Illinois & Virginia; not unlike we experience. They didn't "reload" year over year like the better AQ teams (i.e., Alabama, Florida, etc.) Still, I didn't expect such drastic differences between 2011 and 2012 for all 4 programs.

Illinois
    2009 3-9
    2010 7-6 (beat Baylor in bowl game)
    2011 7-6 (beat UCLA in bowl game)
    2012 2-10

Virginia
    2009 3-9
    2010 4-8
    2011 8-5 (lost to Auburn in bowl game)
    2012 4-8

Utah State
    2009 4-8
    2010 4-8
    2011 7-6 (lost bowl game)
    2012 10-2

San Jose State
    2009 2-10
    2010 1-12
    2011 5-7
    2012 10-2

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Having said all that ... I wonder how much of our final result was affected by the decision, all those weeks ago, to not play TAMU in the wind and rain.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    Why not say BVDV?
    I prefer LTADBVDV. Just to make sure no one gets confused.

I used to use LTOTWACADBVDV. But I thought since we were moving to CUSA that I shouldn't use that anymore.

Varsity Bulldog ETXBULLDOG is a glorious beacon of lightETXBULLDOG is a glorious beacon of lightETXBULLDOG is a glorious beacon of lightETXBULLDOG is a glorious beacon of lightETXBULLDOG is a glorious beacon of lightETXBULLDOG is a glorious beacon of lightETXBULLDOG is a glorious beacon of lightETXBULLDOG is a glorious beacon of lightETXBULLDOG is a glorious beacon of lightETXBULLDOG is a glorious beacon of lightETXBULLDOG is a glorious beacon of light

I think it was a lot but having to travel to the West Coast and then play @ 9:30PM our time and game over @ 1:30AM
    may have been worse. I was pretty waisted yesterday and I did not have to travel or play football. The team got much
    worse in the last quarter. This will be the last Conference game on the West Coast and I am sure the coaches and players
    are very glad! I still think Boise and SDSU will have a greater problem with the travel than they realize in the Bog East

GATA Goddess and Ultimate Fan Winner 2011 Dawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond repute Dawgmatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ETXBULLDOG View Post
    I think it was a lot but having to travel to the West Coast and then play @ 9:30PM our time and game over @ 1:30AM
    may have been worse. I was pretty waisted yesterday and I did not have to travel or play football. The team got much
    worse in the last quarter. This will be the last Conference game on the West Coast and I am sure the coaches and players
    are very glad! I still think Boise and SDSU will have a greater problem with the travel than they realize in the Bog East
    I think the Big East will ruin Boise.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgmatic View Post
    I think the Big East will ruin Boise.
    Before it is all over, the BE may end up as just a basketball conference and BSU won't be there anymore. Or it could ruin them, which might be fun to watch.

+ Reply to Thread