+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: WKU and NM State next?

2011 Bowl Confidence Champion TechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: WKU and NM State next?

From Chad Bishop (Western Kentucky beat writer for the Bowling Green Daily News): https://twitter.com/MrChadBishop

The rumor of Western Kentucky and New Mexico State joining Conference USA is a strong one. Neither school has confirmed, thus, chill.
    When I know, you will. RT @Gracepeacebg: @MrChadBishop when are we expecting a annoucement?
    Hi friends. Only confirmation is that there is no confirmation/announcement/press conference/party/anything. Strictly rumors and hearsay.

Champ ITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond repute ITdrummer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckK3 View Post
    I don't want ANY UL-X nor New Mexico State. Why do you want Lafayette?
    I didn't say I wanted them. I said I would rather have them than NM St.

Champ parialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of light

These two are a bit of a surprise.

New Mexico State because of, among other things, UTEP. UTEP has already had to swallow bringing UTSA in. If true, I have to assume this means that UTEP will have no invitation from the MWC is forthcoming. Alternately, AggieVision is such a big plus that it's worth losing UTEP over. I doubt that. So, either UTEP has come around on the idea of NMSU or UTEP has nowhere to go.

Western Kentucky surprises me because of the market. Though the athletics budget mentioned by someone else is a good selling point.
    University of Houston '01. Any references to "we" or "us" likely refer to UH. Cheers!

Champ RougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond repute RougeDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LATechBanjo View Post
    Takes away their last option to have an immediate FBS member.
    Wow. I thought it must have been for basketball, but that is pretty damn ruthless. However, there is another . . .

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Sorry, but that makes no sense. If we take ASU it does the same thing.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Champ LATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg View Post
    Wow. I thought it must have been for basketball, but that is pretty damn ruthless. However, there is another . . .
    Idaho has given up. Too much $$$. id bet they are not staying in the FBS past 2014.

Champ ITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond repute ITdrummer's Avatar

I can't believe stAte hasn't been on the list yet. Would have figured they would have been picked up before WKU and FAU based solely on performance. Although, FAU brings a larger market, so I can kind of understand that one.

Champ parialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of light

Arkansas State's issue is likely academics. They've avoided adding any more schools that aren't USNWR National. Not that they're necessarily using USNWR as a guide, but we might look at it as an indicator.
    University of Houston '01. Any references to "we" or "us" likely refer to UH. Cheers!

Champ LATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    Sorry, but that makes no sense. If we take ASU it does the same thing.
    Down to 7 after WKU (6 if you dont count GA State -2014). Don't you need 8 for a conference? I remember seeing that if one team left the WAC this year, the goose was cooked.

Down to 7 after WKU (6 if you dont count GA State -2014). Don't you need 8 for a conference? I remember seeing that if one team left the WAC this year, the goose was cooked.
    You need 8, but you can get a waiver if you have some transitioning programs. The Big East had less than eight one year, the SBC has in the past as well, and the WAC did this year. The WAC is dead, obviously, but they would have been okay if they'd had some teams in transition to keep the number at 8.

Oh, and Tech77 is correct. If the purpose was to cripple the SBC, they could have picked any two SBC teams or NMSU and it would have had the same effect.
    Last edited by parialex; 11-28-2012 at 05:19 PM. Reason: added second paragraph

2011 Bowl Confidence Champion TechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond repute

They will have 7 football members (including Georgia State) and 9 basketball members after 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by parialex View Post
    You need 8, but you can get a waiver if you have some transitioning programs. The Big East had less than eight one year, the SBC has in the past as well, and the WAC did this year. The WAC is dead, obviously, but they would have been okay if they'd had some teams in transition to keep the number at 8.
    So my point is that Mr. Peanut has to find another FCS victim willing to jump in the mix, which is not going to be easy.

So my point is that Mr. Peanut has to find another FCS victim willing to jump in the mix, which is not going to be easy.
    The SBC is better-positioned than the WAC was to do that. They're in an environment where schools want to make the jump *and* they have no standards. Jacksonville State, Lamar, and SHSU are all in their footprint and at least two of the three have expressed interest in transitioning to FBS. I'm not sure about the situation with Idaho (whether the 8 schools have to be allsport or whether you can use FBO's to get to 8).

Since Karl Benson became the Sun Belt Commissioner in February, the conference has lost Florida International, Florida Atlantic, North Texas, Middle Tennessee State, and Western Kentucky to C-USA. He gained Texas State (recent FCS football team in 2010), Georgia State (current FCS football team), and UT-Arlington (non-football member).

Time for Karl to do what he does when he loses more members of his conference: raid the nearest FCS conference.

After only several weeks on the job, Benson quickly set the tone for the future of the Sun Belt Conference by adding Georgia State, Texas-Arlington and Texas State to the league. These three new additions to the Sun Belt Conference add not just stability to the league, but also strength.

Because of Benson’s vision, the Sun Belt Conference will remain a 10-team football league and restore its position as a 12-team basketball league because of the additions. Additionally, the Sun Belt Conference will be able to restore a logical geographical split for divisional play.
    http://www.sunbeltsports.org/ABOUTTH...arlBenson.aspx

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Florida A&M, JMU, Liberty, or perhaps North Alabama? I think all of them have made noises in the past few years about moving up.

+ Reply to Thread