+ Reply to Thread

Thread: If you win the Powerball tonight

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

If you win the Powerball tonight

I won't be playing the Powerball tonight, but when I have played in the past, I had these designs for using the winnings to benefit Tech:

ENDOWMENTS, ENDOWMENTS, ENDOWMENTS

I would set up a large endowment for academics and a large endowment for athletics, and fund them equally. The endowments would pay into the general budget. The big stipulation would be that a percentage of all undesignated gifts to the Foundation and LTAC would go into these endowments to keep them growing. The percentage would depend on how large the endowment, but I'd shoot for at least 10%. (In my mind, having the endowments disburse into the general fund would make the diversion of undesignated gifts more palatable to our cash-whore administration.)

It has been discussed ad nauseum on here (largely by me and CChandler) that a lack of respectable endowments has been the single most significant rate-limiting step in the modern growth of the university. For example, having even double our endowments (which would still have been 4th in the state) would likely have sufficiently raised our dollars-per-student ration to propel us into higher status on the US News rankings at an earlier date.

Granted, my dream donation is very simplistic, and it reflects my personality. The take home, though, is that if a Tech fan wins and chooses to bless their alma mater, please consider the perpetual benefits of a) endowments and b) a stipulation that would divert a percentage of undesignated gifts into said endowments to keep them growing.

Thank you for your consideration.

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

Re: If you win the Powerball tonight

25 million total
    10 to academics endowments
    10 to an athletic endowment
    5 to coaches and facilities
    And we make a run at BE.

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

Re: If you win the Powerball tonight

Even if it is simplistic there is some sound reasoning there Brian. For me, the percentage would be no less than double the rate of inflation but no less than 10%.
    WWDog
    La Tech
    Region and hyphen free since 1894!
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

+ Reply to Thread