+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 100 Great Ideas

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Re: 100 Great Ideas

I mentioned in the Campus Pics thread that I would be pushing the aesthetics of campus. I have not forgotten. osl566, I may PM you soon.

Puppy osl566 is an unknown

Y'all have given us great ideas to start with! I'm really happy/excited!

Side note - I've quickly realized 100 pieces is unrealistic. We got the idea from a program at University of Toledo, and we probably should have changed the number. We're not changing the program name mid-year because I don't want to dishearten our senators, but you guys don't have to worry on that front!

Thanks SO much for all your contributions!! I've printed many out and put them on our bulletin board.

Puppy RaleighDAWG is just really niceRaleighDAWG is just really niceRaleighDAWG is just really niceRaleighDAWG is just really niceRaleighDAWG is just really niceRaleighDAWG is just really niceRaleighDAWG is just really niceRaleighDAWG is just really niceRaleighDAWG is just really niceRaleighDAWG is just really niceRaleighDAWG is just really nice

Reading these great ideas has brought me to make my first post here on BBB.

I've always wondered why Tech allows a trash dumpster to be front and center when people turn into campus off of California Ave. You'd think we could come up with a better location or build some kind of wall around it. I still remember as a student walking past it on my way to class and thinking surly this is a temporary location for this and I graduated in '05.

My comments are probably better for the thread I remember called "things that bother you on campus" but since people suggested ideas about improving the campus grounds I figured this would be something that could be changed with little effort and have a big impact.

I commend osl556 for reaching out to get ideas, thanks for letting me share mine. Go Dawgs!

Puppy RaleighDAWG is just really niceRaleighDAWG is just really niceRaleighDAWG is just really niceRaleighDAWG is just really niceRaleighDAWG is just really niceRaleighDAWG is just really niceRaleighDAWG is just really niceRaleighDAWG is just really niceRaleighDAWG is just really niceRaleighDAWG is just really niceRaleighDAWG is just really nice

Btw the dumpster I'm talking about is next to Davison Hall in the curve on Hergot Ave.

2011 Bowl Confidence Champion TechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond repute

Idea #5: Launch effort for open-source textbooks at Louisiana Tech

College students have to pay a lot of money for their textbooks much quarter. One way to help some students reduce the cost of textbooks is for Louisiana Tech to allow open-source textbooks for some of the introductory-level courses like physics, english, and sociology. The textbooks have to be peer-reviewed and developed by educators as well as readable, accurate, and able to fit into the materials of each course. Open-source textbooks can be obtained from websites like www.openstaxcollege.org. These textbooks are free or much cheaper than the current textbooks used at Tech.

Idea #6: Have a non-voting student representative on the Ruston City Council

The student body at Louisiana Tech could be represented at the Ruston City Council by selecting a non-voting student representative to serve on the City Council. This could work similar to the U.S. House where the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands select delegates to represent them in the House. The student representative would not get to vote on any measure, but they could debate bills and resolutions and bring up concerns of the Louisiana Tech students in the city of Ruston.

This could be a better way to represent the student body in the City of Ruston and give the student body a voice in the Ruston community. The student representative can advocate for issues and concerns relative to the students' interests.
    Last edited by TechAlum05; 12-06-2012 at 09:42 PM.

Puppy merlin1771 is on top of his/her gamemerlin1771 is on top of his/her gamemerlin1771 is on top of his/her gamemerlin1771 is on top of his/her gamemerlin1771 is on top of his/her gamemerlin1771 is on top of his/her gamemerlin1771 is on top of his/her gamemerlin1771 is on top of his/her gamemerlin1771 is on top of his/her gamemerlin1771 is on top of his/her gamemerlin1771 is on top of his/her game merlin1771's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by osl566 View Post
    Y'all have given us great ideas to start with! I'm really happy/excited!

Side note - I've quickly realized 100 pieces is unrealistic. We got the idea from a program at University of Toledo, and we probably should have changed the number. We're not changing the program name mid-year because I don't want to dishearten our senators, but you guys don't have to worry on that front!

Thanks SO much for all your contributions!! I've printed many out and put them on our bulletin board.
    Since you bring up legislation, would you look back and see what happened to the legislation we (SGA) passed to ban credit card solicitors on campus?

I was SGA Secretary and several other positions for my years there at Tech and we passed to ban anyone on campus and especially student union to push students to sign up for Credit Cards. I visited back awhile ago and groups were soliciting the students AGAIN....even though we had passed that "legislation".

Kids coming out of college end up with so much debt these days and we found that students were signing up for a Credit Card based on getting a free t-shirt....Am I totally old? Do they do that anymore? :-)

So I HAD to bring that up since you mentioned the 100 pieces of legislation. When I was on SGA we had some big projects each year that we "left" behind such as the Teak benches in the Quad...Is that what you are talking about with this money?

Big Dog dch028 is a jewel in the roughdch028 is a jewel in the roughdch028 is a jewel in the roughdch028 is a jewel in the roughdch028 is a jewel in the roughdch028 is a jewel in the roughdch028 is a jewel in the roughdch028 is a jewel in the roughdch028 is a jewel in the roughdch028 is a jewel in the roughdch028 is a jewel in the rough

Ehhh. Signing up for it doesn't mean they have to use it. R-E-S-P-O-N-S-I-B-I-L-I-T-Y

Quote Originally Posted by merlin1771 View Post
    Since you bring up legislation, would you look back and see what happened to the legislation we (SGA) passed to ban credit card solicitors on campus?

I was SGA Secretary and several other positions for my years there at Tech and we passed to ban anyone on campus and especially student union to push students to sign up for Credit Cards. I visited back awhile ago and groups were soliciting the students AGAIN....even though we had passed that "legislation".

Kids coming out of college end up with so much debt these days and we found that students were signing up for a Credit Card based on getting a free t-shirt....Am I totally old? Do they do that anymore? :-)

So I HAD to bring that up since you mentioned the 100 pieces of legislation. When I was on SGA we had some big projects each year that we "left" behind such as the Teak benches in the Quad...Is that what you are talking about with this money?

Puppy merlin1771 is on top of his/her gamemerlin1771 is on top of his/her gamemerlin1771 is on top of his/her gamemerlin1771 is on top of his/her gamemerlin1771 is on top of his/her gamemerlin1771 is on top of his/her gamemerlin1771 is on top of his/her gamemerlin1771 is on top of his/her gamemerlin1771 is on top of his/her gamemerlin1771 is on top of his/her gamemerlin1771 is on top of his/her game merlin1771's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dch028 View Post
    Ehhh. Signing up for it doesn't mean they have to use it. R-E-S-P-O-N-S-I-B-I-L-I-T-Y
    Oh I agree...but that doesn't actually happen. They use it.

Plus even a owning a credit card affects your credit to income ratio.

I am a Dave Ramsey girl all the way. Not debating credit card debt though...just wondering if "legislation" passed still upheld 10 years later on campus or forgotten.

Big Dog justincad is a jewel in the roughjustincad is a jewel in the roughjustincad is a jewel in the roughjustincad is a jewel in the roughjustincad is a jewel in the roughjustincad is a jewel in the roughjustincad is a jewel in the roughjustincad is a jewel in the roughjustincad is a jewel in the roughjustincad is a jewel in the roughjustincad is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by ITdrummer View Post
    Putting up posters and flyers on a wall isn't enough.

I meant, have people walking around the student center/quad/plaza promoting the games. Not just the "big" games. Every game.
    I actually did this on a volunteer basis during my time at Tech (for basketball), but it was pretty difficult to find others to help out. It was amazing how few students kept up with the basketball teams. And this was back when we had Gibson/Rolle and we were doing pretty well

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by merlin1771 View Post
    I am a Dave Ramsey girl all the way. Not debating credit card debt though...just wondering if "legislation" passed still upheld 10 years later on campus or forgotten.
    We were on SGA at the same time, merlin. (I was KLPI's designee to the student senate.) I specifically remember debating that measure. I'm fairly sure I voted for it.

It was a good thing. By that time, I had already been had by the student center credit card pushers and was well on my way to maxing one out. Buy by golly, I had my free tshirt!

+ Reply to Thread