+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 82

Thread: Why is Bruce still here?

  1. #31
    Big Dog RGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the rough
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Laurel,MS / New Orleans,LA
    Posts
    778

    Re: Why is Bruce still here?

    This thread has taken a strange turn...Bruce should be fired for alienating 3 bowls. But it is ok for us as fans to abandon entire cities in our hopes for developing a fan base?!?

    For me, I'll take any and all who want to cheer for Louisiana Tech.

  2. #32
    Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    35,180

    Re: Why is Bruce still here?

    Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog View Post
    Heck, I live in north Bossier and this area is every bit as nice as the neighborhoods in DFW. You need to come visit. Anyway, there are alot of fans over here who want what's best for LaTech. Slamming the entire region b/c of a few incompetents in S'port is unnecessary.
    The people that you are referencing need to stand up and be heard NOW! I am ashamed to say it, but I have an uncle that played for Tech (Rudolf Smith, drafted by the 49ers - but chose to pursue other things). He was Superintendant of Bossier Parish Schools for years. He roots for lsu, then Tech. It makes no sense. So, all of you that are in the Shreveport/Bossier area and DO believe that Tech could be N. Louisiana's flagship school, stand up and be heard! Who appoints the I-Bowl Committee? Why is there not pressure from Shreveport to change that committee? Does Advocare or Shreveport appoint those positions?

  3. #33
    Champ LookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond repute
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    7,690

    Re: Why is Bruce still here?

    Quote Originally Posted by RGTech98 View Post
    This thread has taken a strange turn...Bruce should be fired for alienating 3 bowls. But it is ok for us as fans to abandon entire cities in our hopes for developing a fan base?!?

    For me, I'll take any and all who want to cheer for Louisiana Tech.
    Don't be a silly generalist. Tech has pursued and wooed Shreveport for 40 years and if anything has lost ground in the area during that time. Dallas is already an important recruiting area for Tech, has a larger population than the entire State of Louisiana, has tens of thousands of good students that do not qualify for Texas and A&M due to statewide admissions restrictions, does not have a primary public university in the metroplex, and has a huge business base from which new donors can be mined.

    Compare that to Shreveport. It's all a matter of priorities. Shreveport should be in the second order.

  4. #34
    Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    12,764

    Re: Why is Bruce still here?

    Well we don't have to compare Ratchet city and Big . I will say that I've been underwhelmed with the response we've gotten in the past few years. The LSUS debacle was shameful.

    We do have passionate fans and alumni there but the return on our effort has been disappointing to me.

  5. #35
    Champ maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3,829

    Re: Why is Bruce still here?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    Excellent and true.
    I would say "excellent and yet to be seen." I would love to hear of an example of a university reaching out to a metroplex 4 hours away and in another state and that their model having worked. Not that we have to use another's mold, but it sounds like a gamble (let's not even discuss how our recent gamble paid off). There are several Dallas area schools that Dallas does not support and I imagine at least some of LFR's reasons for that are true. Just sounds odd--but, that does not mean it wouldn't work.

  6. #36
    Champ maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3,829

    Re: Why is Bruce still here?

    Quote Originally Posted by LookingForResults View Post
    Don't be a silly generalist. Tech has pursued and wooed Shreveport for 40 years and if anything has lost ground in the area during that time. Dallas is already an important recruiting area for Tech, has a larger population than the entire State of Louisiana, has tens of thousands of good students that do not qualify for Texas and A&M due to statewide admissions restrictions, does not have a primary public university in the metroplex, and has a huge business base from which new donors can be mined.

    Compare that to Shreveport. It's all a matter of priorities. Shreveport should be in the second order.
    Maybe we just have not been great at pursuing and wooing.

  7. #37
    Champ LookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond repute
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    7,690

    Re: Why is Bruce still here?

    Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    I would say "excellent and yet to be seen." I would love to hear of an example of a university reaching out to a metroplex 4 hours away and in another state and that their model having worked. Not that we have to use another's mold, but it sounds like a gamble (let's not even discuss how our recent gamble paid off). There are several Dallas area schools that Dallas does not support and I imagine at least some of LFR's reasons for that are true. Just sounds odd--but, that does not mean it wouldn't work.
    It's no gamble; it just requries effort; something we often lack. Arkansas is offering in-state tuition to those falling below the Texas/A&M cutoff; I don't know about LSU , but I know they have been the beneficiary of 'Texas/A&M refugees', particularly from the Houston area, but also some from Dallas.

    There's no reason we couldn't likewise benefit.

  8. #38
    Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Shreveport
    Posts
    5,002

    Re: Why is Bruce still here?

    Are you people nuts??? fire your AD in middle of this crap. We need Bruce to do the one thing he does well-- use his contacts to get a new coach. Love his Basketball and Football selection. Get the new coach-- we can,t wait for new AD selection and time wasted. We need new coach NOW-- keep as many kids from abandoning us and try to keep committments. Adress concerns after we get out of this crisis!! Be absolutely the worst move--just more negative news to pile on-- who would even consider committing to Tech as player or coach.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAB View Post
    Why is no one talking about this?
    1. Saturday Night ESPN reports that Louisiana Tech has turned down a bowl invite from the IBowl. (doesn't matter if it was fact or not. Perception is everything and the perception of asking for "more time" vs. being told "no" is nill, you turned it down. And THAT is what the country remembers)

    2. Monday Night Bruce gets on TV and states he thought there was good will built up with the IBowl because we "turned down the Houston Bowl to go to the Independence Bowl" in 2008. (Is it realy needed that we publicly state we turned down a bowl 4 years ago? I bet that bowl feels good!))

    3. Tuesday Bruce releases a statement that basically says the Liberty Bowl lied to us. (We called a regional bowl a liar. WOW!)

    So, in a matter of 4 days BVDV has aleinated 3 bowls. Three regional bowls that at some time in the future we will desire some type of interaction with.

    Oh, and we all know Bruce doesn't wipe without asking Dan. What makes any of us think DR didn't know we were passing on a bowl game? (or the politicaly correct version of "we asked for more time when a deadline was set"?)

    How is Bruce not gone because of this alone? And if it was Dan's fault we waited then Bruce should resign out of principle that he was not allowed to do his job because of Dan.

  9. #39
    Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    McKinney, TX & Franklin, TN
    Posts
    36,363

    Re: Why is Bruce still here?

    Quote Originally Posted by LookingForResults View Post
    I doubt that it's common, but I've done no research. But I live in Dallas, and have carefully observed the dynamics here for many years. Dallas does not have an edcation vacuum, but it does have a vacuum when it comes to a primary university that it supports. Of course Texas and A&M supporters abound, but the "top 10% admissions" limitation turns thousands of students away annually. SMU is supported and populated by established monied families, but has never reached out to the vast suburbia. TCU is more "approachable" than SMU, but tuition is sky high and therefore not a practical consideration for many. Finally, there's North Texas. UNT has traditionally been known as a fine music school, but little more. The reality is better than that, but, despite it's large size, the predominant perception is that it is a fall-back school for students that couldn't get into their university of choice.

    With an aggressive and clever marketing campaign, there is NO doubt that Tech could parlay its Tier 1 status into a strong foothold in the metroplex - a metroplex that has a population that approaches that of the whole State of Louisiana!
    Excellent post. The University of Oklahoma and the University of Arkansas have been pulling great students out of the metroplex ever since the "Top10" rule was enacted. They even offer "in state" tuition incentives to the better high school graduates (3.0 GPA or better?). The DFW Metroplex offers LA Tech a huge opportunity. There's certainly room for LA Tech over here.

  10. #40
    Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Shreveport
    Posts
    5,002

    Re: Why is Bruce still here?

    You are on a roll == some of your best posts ever have been lately-- we have been on opposite sides a few times but you have been perfect on this whole crisis--
    Quote Originally Posted by LookingForResults View Post
    Get out of Bossier for a while. Come to Dallas and catch a Cowboys game or something. You'll get a fresh perspective. This bowl thing is not even a BLIP on the radar screen. The few in Dallas that are even aware think the bowl system is messed-up. Tech, if people are even aware of the school, have a generally favorable impression and that will remain unchanged.

  11. #41
    Varsity Bulldog Nuke Dawg is a jewel in the roughNuke Dawg is a jewel in the roughNuke Dawg is a jewel in the roughNuke Dawg is a jewel in the roughNuke Dawg is a jewel in the roughNuke Dawg is a jewel in the roughNuke Dawg is a jewel in the roughNuke Dawg is a jewel in the roughNuke Dawg is a jewel in the roughNuke Dawg is a jewel in the roughNuke Dawg is a jewel in the rough Nuke Dawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Slidell, La.
    Posts
    478

    Re: Why is Bruce still here?

    Quote Originally Posted by LookingForResults View Post
    I doubt that it's common, but I've done no research. But I live in Dallas, and have carefully observed the dynamics here for many years. Dallas does not have an edcation vacuum, but it does have a vacuum when it comes to a primary university that it supports. Of course Texas and A&M supporters abound, but the "top 10% admissions" limitation turns thousands of students away annually. SMU is supported and populated by established monied families, but has never reached out to the vast suburbia. TCU is more "approachable" than SMU, but tuition is sky high and therefore not a practical consideration for many. Finally, there's North Texas. UNT has traditionally been known as a fine music school, but little more. The reality is better than that, but, despite it's large size, the predominant perception is that it is a fall-back school for students that couldn't get into their university of choice.

    With an aggressive and clever marketing campaign, there is NO doubt that Tech could parlay its Tier 1 status into a strong foothold in the metroplex - a metroplex that has a population that approaches that of the whole State of Louisiana!
    I love the way you think LFR! What we have traditionally lacked is VISION. A vision doesn't necessarily have to come to fruition, it's results are gained through the effort trying to achieve the vision, AND, this is a vision worth pursuing. Though you have said some things about Dr. Guice that I don't think are accurate (isuppose because you don't really know him) I think you would find him amenable to your hypothesis. I have spoken with him on many occasions and he has personally traveled to Slidell to meet with me and other City of Slidell officials to help us in some endeavors which are beneficial to both us and Louisiana Tech. He "gets it".

    Nuke

  12. #42
    Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    McKinney, TX & Franklin, TN
    Posts
    36,363

    Re: Why is Bruce still here?

    Quote Originally Posted by LookingForResults View Post
    It's no gamble; it just requries effort; something we often lack. Arkansas is offering in-state tuition to those falling below the Texas/A&M cutoff; I don't know about LSU , but I know they have been the beneficiary of 'Texas/A&M refugees', particularly from the Houston area, but also some from Dallas.

    There's no reason we couldn't likewise benefit.
    I've been saying this for the last 10 years on BB&B. Thanks for posting. The "Top 10" rule in Texas has really opened up some opportunities for nearby out of state colleges and uinversities. LA Tech is in a great position to benefit from this.....but we've got to get our act together on the marketing front.

  13. #43
    Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    53,273

    Re: Why is Bruce still here?

    Quote Originally Posted by LookingForResults View Post
    No lie! I've been saying from the beginning that this was the best outcome but everyone refused to listen. People were blind not to see that Dykes was leaving and that we'd be without a head coach for a bowl game. And now we can finally lay Shreveport to rest and concentrate on our REAL opportunity - DFW; that's where you'll find all the people and all the money.

    Shreveport's broke and is a dead man walking. We can 'backfill' Shreveport after we've secured sound footing in DFW.
    I love it!!!

  14. #44
    Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    5,450

    Re: Why is Bruce still here?

    Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    I've been saying this for the last 10 years on BB&B. Thanks for posting. The "Top 10" rule in Texas has really opened up some opportunities for nearby out of state colleges and uinversities. LA Tech is in a great position to benefit from this.....but we've got to get our act together on the marketing front.
    In fact, the top 10% is getting tighter :

    • Class rank to be automatically admitted: Top 10%
    • Class rank to be automatically admitted: Top 8%
    • Notification to Texas educators: September 2009
    • Class rank to be automatically admitted: Top 9%
    • Notification to Texas educators: September 2010
    • Class rank to be automatically admitted: Top 8%
    • Notification to Texas educators: September 2011
    • Class rank to be automatically admitted: Top 7%
    • Notification to Texas educators: September 2012
    • Class rank to be automatically admitted: To be determined
    • Notification to Texas educators: September 2013

  15. #45
    Champ JAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond repute JAB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bossier City
    Posts
    7,038

    Re: Why is Bruce still here?

    LFR,
    First, will you answer my question about your opinion of bowls?
    Quote Originally Posted by LookingForResults View Post
    I'll tell you what, just sit there in the shadow of the casinos and stew in it, because you're sure not going to DO anything about it are you?!!
    Like start an alumni group that aggresively goes after alumni and friends to get them activated? Check
    Like approach local businesses to help sponsor? Check
    Talk to (and get) national businesses about the opportunity to support and fund LaTech and how it would benefit their business? Check
    Like organize and run huge events that take months to prepare for and demands me to take vaction time from my paying job? Check

    Don't you tell me I don't do anything! I work my ass off for Louisiana Tech! What the hell do you do?


    Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    The people that you are referencing need to stand up and be heard NOW! I am ashamed to say it, but I have an uncle that played for Tech (Rudolf Smith, drafted by the 49ers - but chose to pursue other things). He was Superintendant of Bossier Parish Schools for years. He roots for lsu, then Tech. It makes no sense. So, all of you that are in the Shreveport/Bossier area and DO believe that Tech could be N. Louisiana's flagship school, stand up and be heard! Who appoints the I-Bowl Committee? Why is there not pressure from Shreveport to change that committee? Does Advocare or Shreveport appoint those positions?
    Pay your $200 and get on the committee! You want more Tech influence in the bowl....join the freeken bowl!
    People can't sit back and say "why don't they..." they need to be there saying "why don't we....!"

    Quote Originally Posted by LookingForResults View Post
    It's no gamble; it just requries effort; something we often lack. Arkansas is offering in-state tuition to those falling below the Texas/A&M cutoff; I don't know about LSU , but I know they have been the beneficiary of 'Texas/A&M refugees', particularly from the Houston area, but also some from Dallas.

    There's no reason we couldn't likewise benefit.
    Seems there are two different things being talked about here.
    No one says we should not target new students from the DFW area. But that we should NOT ignore the 12,000 alumni in S/B and the 300K others that live there.
    But if Arkansas is already doing that now, and you say no one has been successfull at owning that market, why do you think LaTech could beat out everyone else over there and own it?
    Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Excellent post. The University of Oklahoma and the University of Arkansas have been pulling great students out of the metroplex ever since the "Top10" rule was enacted. They even offer "in state" tuition incentives to the better high school graduates (3.0 GPA or better?). The DFW Metroplex offers LA Tech a huge opportunity. There's certainly room for LA Tech over here.
    I like the idea of using some resources to target Dallas. Especially for recruting bright students. But we still need the bright kids from Louisiana.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts