+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking West for the Next Head Football Coach?

Champ JDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant future JDubyadawg's Avatar

Re: Looking West for the Next Head Football Coach?

From coachingsearch.com

LA Tech:
    Sources tell me that Oklahoma offensive coordinator / quarterbacks coach Josh Heupel talked with LA Tech officials about their head coaching job.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JDubyadawg View Post
    From coachingsearch.com

LA Tech:
    Sources tell me that Oklahoma offensive coordinator / quarterbacks coach Josh Heupel talked with LA Tech officials about their head coaching job.
    I'm confused. Guess we'll take either one of them.

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

Funny, I never saw Oklahoma's offense as a spread offense...

Champ JDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant future JDubyadawg's Avatar

I believe and more than one person in Oklahoma believes that both Norvell and Huepel are being asked to interview, seeking interviews or have already interviewed with not only Tech but Arkansas State and possibly other schools. They may even be on the phone with each other comparing notes (seriously)! Despite our recent travails, don't think it has gone unnoticed that Sonny Dykes came to Tech making 350K, almost doubled his salary in three years, created or took credit for the #1 Scoring Offense in the nation and left for Cal makng 3.5 Million - 10 times what he was making at Tech just 3 years ago and did it despite the worst defense in the nation. Jay and ole Josh can probably do the same. Beats hanging around Oklahoma where if they don't make it to a BCS bowl next year, Uncle Bob is going to take it out on someone and it won't be brother Mike the DC.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

I believe and more than one person in Oklahoma believes that both Norvell and Huepel are being asked to interview, seeking interviews or have already interviewed with not only Tech but Arkansas State and possibly other schools. They may even be on the phone with each other comparing notes (seriously)! Despite our recent travails, don't think it has gone unnoticed that Sonny Dykes came to Tech making 350K, almost doubled his salary in three years, created or took credit for the #1 Scoring Offense in the nation and left for Cal makng 3.5 Million - 10 times what he was making at Tech just 3 years ago and did it despite the worst defense in the nation. Jay and ole Josh can probably do the same. Beats hanging around Oklahoma where if they don't make it to a BCS bowl next year, Uncle Bob is going to take it out on someone and it won't be brother Mike the DC.
    Sonny's starting salary at Tech was $450,000.

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

I believe and more than one person in Oklahoma believes that both Norvell and Huepel are being asked to interview....

Clarification needed - who is asking them to interview? Outside sources or Stoops? Not a good sign if you ask me, if it is Stoops asking them to interview.

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

From coachingsearch.com

LA Tech:

Whole thread over on the OU board on it:

http://www.landthieves.com/board/sho...or-La-Tech-Job

Champ rockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond repute

I posted this on the other thread too:

My quick chat with my work's resident Oklahoma fan produced this information: He would not be upset to see Heupel go. He questioned his play calling throughout the year. Of course - this is fan speak, but I thought I would share it nonetheless. Oklahoma threw the ball a lot this year. Their offense wasn't nearly as balanced as our offense this season.

Quote Originally Posted by hookdown View Post
    Clarification needed - who is asking them to interview? Outside sources or Stoops? Not a good sign if you ask me, if it is Stoops asking them to interview.
    It's a good question and I think it this point it has been them asking to interview and our reply was " Hey, we were going to call you anyway". It's not Stoops asking them now. Uncle Bob doesn't get a BCS bowl next year - that could change.

Quote Originally Posted by rockdog View Post
    I posted this on the other thread too:

My quick chat with my work's resident Oklahoma fan produced this information: He would not be upset to see Heupel go. He questioned his play calling throughout the year. Of course - this is fan speak, but I thought I would share it nonetheless. Oklahoma threw the ball a lot this year. Their offense wasn't nearly as balanced as our offense this season.
    Rock, that is also what I am hearing from OK folks and it is fan sentiment. Kinda like our fan sentiment regarding DEFENSE.

Now Brian Harsin from Texas is being reported interested in the Arkansas State job. As I stated at the beginning of this thread, the situations at Texas and Oklahoma are very similar. You have Offensive Co-coordinators at both schools with legacy coaches. None of them are on the hot seat but they are all a little nervous about what could happen at the end of next year. Norvell may be angling to just move into the play calling job at OU and they could bring back another guy to coach the QB's.

Harsin and Wilcox being mentioned in connection with SJSU. AD there used to be at Boise.

Jay Norvell........stay tuned.

You might be on to something here...

The Big 12 Conference has continued to be a hotbed for supplying coordinators for HC jobs and we all know the names that have been talked about on here and other sites. I will add a few more names and share what I know or have found out about some of the previous names discussed:

Jay Norvell: Co-offensive coordinator at Oklahoma.
    http://www.soonersports.com/school-bio/jay_norvell.html

A lot of NFL experience plus previous OC experience at UCLA and Nebraska and more experience at Iowa State and Wisconsin. He has not been pursued in the past or has been known to be interviewed for HC positions. Like Todd Monken, he is at an age (48) that if he wants an HC position it’s probably time to make that move.

Josh Huepel: Shares co-offensive coordinator duties with Norvell at Oklahoma.
    http://www.soonersports.com/school-bio/josh_heupel.html

The great QB for Oklahoma in their 2000 National Championship and has been as assistant there since 2004 with the exception of 2005 (Coached at U of Arizona). Coached Sam Bradford and Landry Jones.

Things are not great at the mighty OU. Recruiting is lagging; they are not in a BCS bowl and headed to play in the Cotton Bowl vs Texas A&M. It could be their turn to be embarrassed by Johnny Football. Many feel Stoops has simply plateaued or is too comfortable in his current position and bringing back ole brother Mike to be DC didn’t help. Oklahoma sources believe Norvell wants to seriously look at HC positions and Huepel while he is very tied to Oklahoma in many personal ways is possibly open if someone comes looking.

Major Applewhite: Co-offensive Coordinator at Texas
    http://www.texassports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/applewhite_major00.html

Baton Rouge native, Catholic HS graduate and starting QB for the Longhorns with a 22-8 record as a starter. Also coached at Syracuse, Rice and was the OC/Quarterbacks coach at Alabama’s first year under Nick Saban. Coached at the Independence Bowl when Alabama beat Colorado 30-24. (Wow have things changed since then!)

Bryan Harsin: Co-offensive Coordinator at Texas
    http://www.texassports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/harsin_bryan00.html

Former Boise State player and OC there from 2006-10. Knows how to beat the crap out of LA Tech. Was hired in 2011 at Texas to help straighten out the offensive mess at Texas and develop QB’s.

Things at Texas are in flux at best. It’s strongly believed that next year will be Mack Browns last year regardless of the success they have. It is believed that Applewhite has been “uncomfortable” since Harsin was hired even though he is personally close to Brown. Harsin’s two years at Texas has seen improvement but some of the play calling this past season with Ash and McCoy starting at different times has been confounding to many. Others say that Mack will just not leave it alone and keeps overriding Harsin and has left Harsin frustrated. There is no "Head Coach in Waiting" situation at Texas as there was when Muschamp was there.

At both Oklahoma and Texas you have two legacy head coaches who appear to be underachieving with the talent they have and it is making the job of OC’s there tougher to do because if too much heat is brought – they can always fire the OC’s. These are obviously two great programs that seem to have tremendous talent but there is great expectations and demand for performance from very well paid coaches and assistants. Neither program is meeting those expectations and people are getting impatient and frustrated. Just think if Texas A&M would have stayed in the Big 12 this year!

I believe one or more these OC’s will interview for some HC positions. Time will tell how serious they are taken or how serious they will pursue the jobs.

It appears Harsin is headed to Arkansas State and Applewhite will be promoted to OC but continue to share some OC duties with someone else that Mack Brown will hire. Norvell and Huepel either interviewed and turned us down or one of them interviewed and turned us down or both were just trying to improve their position at OU - either way they or we no longer seem to be talking to them. We either have our guy and we are in the process of doing the paperwork or on the verge of flailing around which would start to attract the Ron Turner's of the world. Hope we have our guy very soon or we are going to end up ZOOKED.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

I still think there are some quality guys out there. Greg Peterson and Shannon Dawson would both be great hires. I think it "feels" like time is running down because other non-AQs have made a lot of decisions. As far as I can tell, the only ones we had genuine interest in were Monken and Brown. I don't know what's going on with the OU Co-OCs, but I think we'll be alright. Better to get it done right than get it done fast.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

+ Reply to Thread