+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ESPN: Big East fate vexes Catholic schools

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Re: ESPN: Big East fate vexes Catholic schools

Insanity.
    It's time to close the doors to the Temple of Janus.

Champ parialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of light

Whatever the rules are pertaining to their credits, I don't really see a scenario where dissolution improves their odds over splitting. I read somewhere that they're golden either way because they've all been playing together over 5 consecutive years. But if that's not true, then it's still not true if they dissolve, if you get my meaning.

There has been some talk that they might merge with the A-10. That'd solve any problems they have.

And, like Maddawg points out, they probably don't even need the credits anyway.

My guess is that if this happens, the NCAA is going to go back to the drawing board on these matters anyway, the same way they did to account for the WAC's situation.
    University of Houston '01. Any references to "we" or "us" likely refer to UH. Cheers!

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KSDAWG View Post
    Why can't they just a split the baskeball units based on who earned them and give the Catholic schools an auto bid since the tournament has increased in numbers. It's really pretty simple. Then let the Big East Football Conference rename and expand to 12.
    Why should the NCAA make a special provision for the Catholic schools? Again, the auto bid is not a big concern for them.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KSDAWG View Post
    Why can't they just a split the baskeball units based on who earned them and give the Catholic schools an auto bid since the tournament has increased in numbers. It's really pretty simple. Then let the Big East Football Conference rename and expand to 12.
    Back when the MWC schools split off, the simple solution was to add an auto-bid and stay at 64 games. Instead they added the play-in game.

The tournament hates auto-bids. Even with several play-in games like we have now, they'll bot be crazy about adding a bid.

Champ parialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    Back when the MWC schools split off, the simple solution was to add an auto-bid and stay at 64 games. Instead they added the play-in game.

The tournament hates auto-bids. Even with several play-in games like we have now, they'll bot be crazy about adding a bid.
    I don't think they're as averse to adding an autobid likely to be filled by Temple or Marquette than they are one to be filled by New Jersey Tech. Beyond which, they have more play-ins now than they did when they added the one for the MWC.
    University of Houston '01. Any references to "we" or "us" likely refer to UH. Cheers!

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

K, don't add an autobid for them then. But let them keep the units they earned. I see this as the chance we get to move up with USM into BE or whatever you want to call it.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

The best solution (from where I sit, which is obviously at odds with what a lot of the individual players would want) is to let the Catholic schools go and keep the Big East auto-bid and name. Then the leftover BE teams and CUSA work together to make a sensible re-arrangement along geographical lines (and this would obviously never fly - ).

UTEP, Houston, Rice, SMU, UNT, Tulsa, Tech, UTSA, USM would have a few too many Texas teams, but wouldn't be too bad for football. Add Memphis, Tulane, and UAB for 12.

The new eastern conference would be stuck with FIU, FAU, UCF, USF, Marshall, ECU, Cin, ODU, UNC-Charlotte, Uconn, Temple, and Navy right?

I think everybody finds a home this way (assuming SDSU and Boise return to MWC).

That makes sense in the same way that it made sense to a lot of people thought "LaTech to the Sun Belt" made sense a few years ago. When C*USA invited UNT, UTSA, FIU, and FAU, they made the conference or any sort of merger a lot less attractive to UH, SMU, UCF, and USF. Six schools in Texas and four schools in Florida is absolutely suffocating. And what might be saved in terms of travel is lost in terms of TV money (and likely post-season payouts). We would likely have the option of splitting Texas up with some schools heading towards the MWC. I don't know what the Florida schools would do. But I think UH and SMU are almost as averse to the MWC as they are C*USA. Which is why I think that ultimately the schools hang together unless FSU and Miami go to the Big 12 and UCF and USF go to the Big East.

Speaking of which, a wide enough pilfering of the ACC may render all of this moot. A "Big 18" would essentially result in a merger of the ACC and most of the nBE. I don't know if we would be a part of that calculation or not, but it would at least be clarifying (and if we're not, westward ho I think).

It's decided. Lot of details to hash out.

As a fan of a CUSA school - I hope the remaining BE falls apart.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...hools/1767387/

Quote Originally Posted by parialex View Post
    That makes sense in the same way that it made sense to a lot of people thought "LaTech to the Sun Belt" made sense a few years ago. When C*USA invited UNT, UTSA, FIU, and FAU, they made the conference or any sort of merger a lot less attractive to UH, SMU, UCF, and USF. Six schools in Texas and four schools in Florida is absolutely suffocating. And what might be saved in terms of travel is lost in terms of TV money (and likely post-season payouts). We would likely have the option of splitting Texas up with some schools heading towards the MWC. I don't know what the Florida schools would do. But I think UH and SMU are almost as averse to the MWC as they are C*USA. Which is why I think that ultimately the schools hang together unless FSU and Miami go to the Big 12 and UCF and USF go to the Big East.

Speaking of which, a wide enough pilfering of the ACC may render all of this moot. A "Big 18" would essentially result in a merger of the ACC and most of the nBE. I don't know if we would be a part of that calculation or not, but it would at least be clarifying (and if we're not, westward ho I think).
    Understood. But it's not like either conference can tell the less desirable schools to take a hike not that they've got them. That's why it'd never happen.

But all the Tech to SB mess overlooked the existence of CUSA as an ultimate goal. That's gone unless you think Houston is joining the ACC (although I guess that dream still exists for USF and UCF and Uconn - and Cin can dream of the Big 12).

I understand Houston and SMU preferring Tulane and Temple to UNT and UTSA. And I understand USF and UCF preferring Memphis and UConn to FIU and FAU.

I think the ACC becomes a possibility for us if they lose enough members (the Big 18 Scenario), or the Big 12. Of course, that ACC would look a lot like the Big East past, present, and future. But that's genuinely a better situation for us than the new Conference USA. It's primarily about trying to find the next step up and positioning yourself in the best spot possible for whatever the next step up is. Whether that opportunity is the ACC or the Big 12 and whether it's two years or twelve years down the line, rejoining Conference USA would constitute a resignation of sorts. Far better to do whatever we can to be in C*USA+ (Big Metro or whatever) than C*USA- (C*USA proper). And I'd put the MWC a step ahead as well, both in the short term and the long term. It's the TCU model, in a nutshell. They were a better fit for C*USA in every imaginable way that they left - up to the point that I thought leaving was a mistake on their part - but looking back it was unquestionably the right decision.

Thanks for the USAT link. I'm happy to hear that they are going to take their time trying to think things through rather than rashly dissolving the conference. I understand your preference that the BE fall apart. In your shoes, I'd probably share it (unless I thought we could get in on its football successor). Man, I really wish Tulane hadn't been invited. It really throws a wrench in my preference for a conference of the other seven members plus Tulsa, LaTech, and USM with a couple eastern market acquisitions. Just goes to show: Tulane ruins everything.

Champ RougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond repute RougeDawg's Avatar

Tulane will forever be remembered as the school that killed a conference. Poison pill washed down with a Green Wave.

Remember when they were mentioned for the Big 12 opening? I doubt that'll happen next time even as a vague, distant possibility.

It's not really their fault, though. They were offered an invitation and accepted one. I wouldn't have done any different. Of course, it may be their fault that they are so undesirable to begin with (when Holgorsen discussed leaving UH for OSU, he specifically called out Tulane and the three thousand people who show up for their games)... but they're trying.

According to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, the basketball schools will be starting a new league. It doesn't look like they're going to be taking the name with them and - if this is accurate - the football schools are in about as good of shape as can be expected. An infusion of BCS cash for 2013, not having to start from scratch on bowl contracts, and so on. If I were BSU and SDSU (and to a lesser extent Navy) I'd be re-evaluating all of my options, and of course there are potentially or likely more shoes to drop with the ACC, but the conference is in a place where it can rebuild. Just... please... no more Tulanes. The wrong school from Louisiana, that one.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Basketball schools leaving Big East. http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebask...vidence-121312

+ Reply to Thread