+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Skip Holtz

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Skip Holtz

A big NO to Skip Holtz. I'd definitely hire Scott Maxfield before hiring a guy that just got fired because he couldn't win.

Champ AG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the rough AG_jr's Avatar

After reading his Wikipedia profile, not too crazy about him. He showed a glimmer of hope at ECU, but other than that, nothing too promising. Most of his success was as a coordinator for his dad, and the only success at USF was his first year, which arguably was because of Leavitt's recruits.

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

Consistent winner from FCS would be better.

GATA Goddess and Ultimate Fan Winner 2011 Dawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond repute Dawgmatic's Avatar

I love Scott Maxfield.

Big Dog BCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to all

I'm not feeling good about anything coaching search related right now. I'm fearfull that Tech has slid backwards in it's approach to the hiring process AND in the eyes of potential candidates. While I supported the desire to play in a better bowl than the IBowl, I think that fiasco has colored the eyes of coaches around the country. They probably are thinking "if they can't get that decision right, what can they get right?"...speaking of the administration, both athletic and otherwise.

Petey's departure I think speaks volumes about the search process. He stuck through the Dooley and Dykes searches. But he didn't this time. I sense (pure speculation on my part) that he threw in the towel and headed for greener (other) pastures.

I'm not optimistic right now, if you can't tell...

Champ AG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the rough AG_jr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BCSDAWG View Post
    I'm not feeling good about anything coaching search related right now. I'm fearfull that Tech has slid backwards in it's approach to the hiring process AND in the eyes of potential candidates. While I supported the desire to play in a better bowl than the IBowl, I think that fiasco has colored the eyes of coaches around the country. They probably are thinking "if they can't get that decision right, what can they get right?"...speaking of the administration, both athletic and otherwise.

Petey's departure I think speaks volumes about the search process. He stuck through the Dooley and Dykes searches. But he didn't this time. I sense (pure speculation on my part) that he threw in the towel and headed for greener (other) pastures.

I share your sentiment about losing Perot. Makes you wonder just how bad this search is going if even he wouldn't stick around to see who we hired. Either the search is going that badly, or USM is giving him a nice little raise.

Varsity Bulldog B.Y.O.C.B. is a glorious beacon of lightB.Y.O.C.B. is a glorious beacon of lightB.Y.O.C.B. is a glorious beacon of lightB.Y.O.C.B. is a glorious beacon of lightB.Y.O.C.B. is a glorious beacon of lightB.Y.O.C.B. is a glorious beacon of lightB.Y.O.C.B. is a glorious beacon of lightB.Y.O.C.B. is a glorious beacon of lightB.Y.O.C.B. is a glorious beacon of lightB.Y.O.C.B. is a glorious beacon of lightB.Y.O.C.B. is a glorious beacon of light

Is our opening interview question for the HC position, "So, tell us a little about your dad"?

Champ latech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond repute

it is not even a week since Dykes left - noob says.

Bulldog bpennark is on top of his/her gamebpennark is on top of his/her gamebpennark is on top of his/her gamebpennark is on top of his/her gamebpennark is on top of his/her gamebpennark is on top of his/her gamebpennark is on top of his/her gamebpennark is on top of his/her gamebpennark is on top of his/her gamebpennark is on top of his/her gamebpennark is on top of his/her game bpennark's Avatar

Dykes left Dec 5

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

The thread on Dykes and NCSU started on 27 November, 16 days ago. Plenty of time to gauge potential interest and candidates between then and the 5th. Probably strong reason to suspect he was job hunting before that.

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by BCSDAWG View Post

Did have any job offers before? My guess is No, but its a pure guess.

Varsity Bulldog rlmiddle is a glorious beacon of lightrlmiddle is a glorious beacon of lightrlmiddle is a glorious beacon of lightrlmiddle is a glorious beacon of lightrlmiddle is a glorious beacon of lightrlmiddle is a glorious beacon of lightrlmiddle is a glorious beacon of lightrlmiddle is a glorious beacon of lightrlmiddle is a glorious beacon of lightrlmiddle is a glorious beacon of lightrlmiddle is a glorious beacon of light

I would much rather spend a couple of weeks making this hire and get the best coach that we can get, than to quickly hire the the wrong coach. We DON'T want what happened to Southern Miss this year to happen to us!!!

If Skip Holtz is the best coach that we can get now, then I am fully supportive of hiring him. He offers a big initial advantage over both Dooley and Dikes, in that we will not be his OJT as a first time head coach. Plus he probably has better connections than most of the remaining candidates to put together a good staff.

Champ 70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute 70TECHGRAD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rockdog View Post
    I think the next level should be to consistently push to be a top 25 team or near a top 25 team year after year. I also think the next level should be to follow a similar model to Boise State. I feel we have the resources and the location to not only be a consistent winner but also a salty team year after year.

Southern Miss' situation was and is interesting. They were content for years with the same results. The problem with Bower is that he was NEVER able to get them over the hump. They got rid of him, and Fedora was much closer to taking them to where they wanted to be. I know it's a long shot, but if you aren't trying to be the best team in the nation every year, then what exactly are you trying to do? I feel a lot of people are content with us simply being a good ol' little team from Ruston. I'll play the naive card, but I am still hoping that in my lifetime that I can see Louisiana finally support and have two legitimate teams.

Would Holtz be the worst hire? No. Certainly not. The man can coach. I just don't see him taking Tech to the level that I want to see us at. I guess I'll be the "pie in the sky" guy for the day. I get what you're saying. It's not like we've ever been a consistent winner at this level, and Holtz could probably bring that. I just want more than a consistent winner, but I may be thinking too "rah rah" at this point.
    Well, after reading this entire thread....this post hits the nail on the head! A lot of us older guys have been waiting for this type of results for a long, long time!! We are ready to see the Dawgs get to the "next level". Let's build on what we have done and NOT start over!

Champ Woof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by rlmiddle View Post
    I would much rather spend a couple of weeks making this hire and get the best coach that we can get, than to quickly hire the the wrong coach. We DON'T want what happened to Southern Miss this year to happen to us!!!
    The flipside to this is the longer you wait, the pool of the best coaching candidates gets smaller, and smaller, and.....

Champ latech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Woof! View Post
    The flipside to this is the longer you wait, the pool of the best coaching candidates gets smaller, and smaller, and.....
    we found Dykes 3 weeks into Jan

+ Reply to Thread