+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Simon

Varsity Bulldog SpreadEagle has a brilliant futureSpreadEagle has a brilliant futureSpreadEagle has a brilliant futureSpreadEagle has a brilliant futureSpreadEagle has a brilliant futureSpreadEagle has a brilliant futureSpreadEagle has a brilliant futureSpreadEagle has a brilliant futureSpreadEagle has a brilliant futureSpreadEagle has a brilliant futureSpreadEagle has a brilliant future

John Simon

First let me congratulate you Dogs on a great hire. Skip Holtz's teams at ECU were always well coached and won back to back CUSA titles. He will bring a wealth of experience to your program and I have no doubt will win big in Ruston.

Now, I have a question. Todd Monken has evidently hired a former Tech rb to be on his staff at USM. His name is John Simon. I was just wondering if some of you could pass along a little information about him. One of our boards said he is presently coaching at a HS in Dallas. Thanks and once again congrats on hiring Coach Holtz.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Re: John Simon

John was a good RB at Tech in the late 90s, and a leader in the locker room. He played briefly in the NFL (Titans, I believe), but only for a year or two.

After leaving the NFL, I think he came back to Ruston for a while and worked with our program. I do not have any direct experience with him, but people who know him only say great things about him. I believe his last season at Tech was one of the years that Monken was coaching here, so he obviously made an impression on the coaching staff.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Was excellent at catching the ball out of the backfield. In fact as a RB he might have had more receiving yards than rushing yards. Good guy. Don't know much about his coaching abilities.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Good ole #8. John Simon is the type of player who makes a good coach. He was unselfish as a player, did what he was asked...was under-rated as well....he was a very good player! Wish him much success! Oh...not too much success helping to build USM though. Nothing personal, you understand.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Can catch glimpses of him...check out around the 2:15 mark:

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar

He is from Baton Rouge...will help USM with Baton Rouge recruiting
    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”
    Lou Holtz - Football Coach

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

"Bring back the rotary phone so we don't have to press 1 for English."
    www.casadice.com

Champ rebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond repute rebelboi's Avatar

maybe once Simon does a good job at USM then he can come back home to Ruston

Champ dawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud of

Two thoughts:

1. It has to be a little worrisome to USM fans that Monken is hiring a high school assistant. I'm not sure we Tech fans would approve if he didn't have Tech ties.
    2. Or, it could make more sense if there is a stud running back at his high school he's bringing with him.

Champ rebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond repute rebelboi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawgtired View Post
    Two thoughts:

1. It has to be a little worrisome to USM fans that Monken is hiring a high school assistant. I'm not sure we Tech fans would approve if he didn't have Tech ties.
    2. Or, it could make more sense if there is a stud running back at his high school he's bringing with him.
    I don't think there's anything wrong with bringing in a high school football coach as a RB coach or to coach any other position as long as you don't start them off as a coordinator

Champ deadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to behold deadawg's Avatar

The thing I remeber about him was that he was a very smart football player.

Varsity Bulldog SpreadEagle has a brilliant futureSpreadEagle has a brilliant futureSpreadEagle has a brilliant futureSpreadEagle has a brilliant futureSpreadEagle has a brilliant futureSpreadEagle has a brilliant futureSpreadEagle has a brilliant futureSpreadEagle has a brilliant futureSpreadEagle has a brilliant futureSpreadEagle has a brilliant futureSpreadEagle has a brilliant future

Thanks for all the replies. Simon sounds like a good future college coach. As for hiring a high school coach, I fully understand that concern. I read on our board this morning that Simon has been coaching HS football in the Dallas area. I am sure Monken would like a coach recruiting that area, since we never have. His background in Baton Rouge should help also. One thing I like about Monken is that he is aware of just how good LaTech football is and the respect he has for your program will just help build on a good, healthy rivalry. I know Skip Holtz feels the same about USM. I can't wait to start playing again.

GATA Goddess and Ultimate Fan Winner 2011 Dawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond repute Dawgmatic's Avatar

John Simon. He will be great. So fun to watch play.

Champ ChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond repute

I was a huge fan of John Simon. Y'all --- the Tech / USM series is going to a whole new level. I CAN'T WAIT. Perot/Monken/Simon in Black & Gold...facing ... ummm...well... Lou Holtz's kid.

Just kidding! I'm excited to get our rivalry going again, too, Spread. Thanks for ALWAYS being a great poster.

Varsity Bulldog sportkid is a glorious beacon of lightsportkid is a glorious beacon of lightsportkid is a glorious beacon of lightsportkid is a glorious beacon of lightsportkid is a glorious beacon of lightsportkid is a glorious beacon of lightsportkid is a glorious beacon of lightsportkid is a glorious beacon of lightsportkid is a glorious beacon of lightsportkid is a glorious beacon of lightsportkid is a glorious beacon of light sportkid's Avatar

I know both Monken and Simon very well and I believe both to be fantastic people. If John is half as good a coach as he is a person, then USM will have a good one. Looking forward to the rivalry and wish you luck in all but one game

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

John Simon was a joy to watch and I think a great hire by Monken. He will be a lunch pale kinda guy for your program.

+ Reply to Thread