+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you were Britton Banowsky....

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

If you were Britton Banowsky....

What would you be doing right now?

This Big East thing could still go many different directions, but you obviously want to get some/all of your old teams back into your conference.

The schools that just left C-USA could try to stay where they are and grow the Big East, in which case you can't get them back. But, what would you do to try to get them to leave the Big East (or whatever it will be called) and come back to C-USA? Keep in mind the tricks that other commissioners play.

What would you do? Give a few details explaining why you would do it that way.

Champ parialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of light

Re: If you were Britton Banowsky....

I'm not sure there is anything he can do. So much of it is dependent on things outside his control. Schools will return if they have to. The only borderline case may be Temple and with the A-10 set to lose some schools the prospect of going back to the A-10 for non-FB may be a no-go anyway (and the MAC may harbor some bad blood given the lack of advance notice they gave).

But... I might try to force the BE teams to scramble by reading the NCAA book back and forth and trying to see if there is a bylaw somewhere that can be used to deprive the BE of its basketball credits. I'd seek commitments from Tulsa, UTEP, UTSA, and a few other western schools to prevent them from going to the MWC (because if they stay, it'd make it harder for UH and SMU to go west). Basically, try to deprive the BE school of any other options.
    University of Houston '01. Any references to "we" or "us" likely refer to UH. Cheers!

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Yeah, not much he can do. He will not get the schools that just left back and he has to hope they do not grab USM, UAB, Marshall, Rice, and/or Tulsa as well.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by hookdown View Post
    Yeah, not much he can do. He will not get the schools that just left back and he has to hope they do not grab USM, UAB, Marshall, Rice, and/or Tulsa as well.
    This is what we have to hope the NCAA rules will help with........ We need it to be prohibitive for them to form a new conference. No waivers........ The problem is that SMU and Houston will not want to come back, because it will look like they failed. They will try to get into MWC, instead. Plus, with North Texas in the conference, it hurts our chances at both those teams (especially SMU). I guarantee Houston is lobbying hard to get in the B12, but I don't think that is a chance. We may get lucky here. The worst is Tulsa and Southern Miss jumping to be in a new conference, unless we are included in that group.

If I were Commish, I would be talking to all the President's (SMU, Houston, ECU, and Tulane) and making a great case for them to return. We could quickly establish a great brand in CUSA with them. Let's hope that MWC doesn't want to expand more. They aren't as much of a "false perception market whore conference" as CUSA was during every allignment. They were usually slower to add, until this last go around - more conservative.

The other chance is to still team up with MWC with a partnership that would appeal to these schools. I don't know how interested MWC would be in that now, though, unless you got Houston, SMU, and ECU to agree to come back to CUSA. I don't think many care about Tulane, but I would like them with us. Rice needs to be a selling point to Tulane and Tulsa. They used to stick together, so I would use teh Rice President to help with this process.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Those schools are not coming back to C-USA. Forget about it. Not gonna happen. The presidents have already stated this. I never understood why our fans were rooting for the demise of the Big East.

We aren't getting invited to join the Big East football schools because of our lack of market.

The future direction of Big East football rests in Boise State's hands. We want them to stay in the Big East. If Boise decides to return to the MW, then the Big East will raid C-USA some more, and we aren't getting picked. It would mean more Belch schools to C-USA.
    Last edited by Dawg06; 12-14-2012 at 08:24 AM.

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

What he does, I don't know. But I do know I'm a lot happier having him working on the problem than having Karl Benson at the helm.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Scenario 1 (Boise stays in Big East)
    So if I'm Banowsky, I'm lobbying for Boise State and San Diego State to become full members of what's left of the Big East. If that happens, that means the Big East will form a national conference, and some MW schools will get picked off. Probably some C-USA too, but we are ok. Maybe ULL gets shut out. Belch survives, and Mr. Peanut is still employed.

Scenario 2 (Boise returns to MW)
    If Boise State decides to go back to the MW, that means SDSU goes back to the MW. That means the Big East won't become a national conference, and the Big East will decimate C-USA. We are probably the least attractive school to the Big East. Not in their Top 10. They want MARKETS. Then we are essentially stuck in the Belch under the alias of C-USA. Bye-Bye Sun Belt. Benson will have to find a third conference to put to rest before he can retire. ULL would certainly end up in the new C-USA. ULM may become the new Idaho.

Champ domangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond repute domangue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    Scenario 1 (Boise stays in Big East)
    So if I'm Banowsky, I'm lobbying for Boise State and San Diego State to become full members of what's left of the Big East. If that happens, that means the Big East will form a national conference, and some MW schools will get picked off. Probably some C-USA too, but we are ok. Maybe ULL gets shut out. Belch survives, and Mr. Peanut is still employed.

Scenario 2 (Boise returns to MW)
    If Boise State decides to go back to the MW, that means SDSU goes back to the MW. That means the Big East won't become a national conference, and the Big East will decimate C-USA. We are probably the least attractive school to the Big East. Not in their Top 10. They want MARKETS. Then we are essentially stuck in the Belch under the alias of C-USA. Bye-Bye Sun Belt. Benson will have to find a third conference to put to rest before he can retire. ULL would certainly end up in the new C-USA. ULM may become the new Idaho.
    We're not the top of the list, but come on man...

Marshall is not going to the Big East. UAB, although they have a reasonable market, has done ZERO and has been neutered by their BoR (a stark contrast to the Tulane value proposition). UTEP... to caputure the coveted Juarez market?

Out of these choices:

Tulsa
    Rice
    Southern Miss
    UAB
    UTEP
    Marshall

Scenario 3: MW takes Tulsa and UTEP... alongside Boise and SDSU returning. BE gives up the coast-to-coast thing. They retrench on a strategy of a strongly bound south-central regional presence; direct competition to the SEC, and add Southern Miss and Louisiana Tech for market penetration in the DFW/Houston/NOLA markets. C-USA then takes every team from Sun Belt except ULM, and ULM drops to FCS.
    Last edited by domangue; 12-14-2012 at 09:54 AM.

Varsity Bulldog Lazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of lightLazarus_KKY is a glorious beacon of light Lazarus_KKY's Avatar

It will be interesting to see if any of the Big 5 go after Cincy UConn or USF. That combined with Boise & SDSU leaving could open the door for us.

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

.... I would offer membership to all of the teams, and let them know that the first 4 to accept had a spot. It's worth a shot.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Those schools are not coming back to C-USA. Forget about it. Not gonna happen. The presidents have already stated this. I never understood why our fans were rooting for the demise of the Big East.

We aren't getting invited to join the Big East football schools because of our lack of market.

The future direction of Big East football rests in Boise State's hands. We want them to stay in the Big East. If Boise decides to return to the MW, then the Big East will raid C-USA some more, and we aren't getting picked. It would mean more Belch schools to C-USA.

I think you're partially correct. After Boise, SDSU, Cincy, and UConn are all gone, they're going to stay together and add schools, but politics and geography, along with brand, will play a big role, as well.

Also, many of the bigger market schools would have "veto" votes that would block their invitation. FIU, FAU, North Texas, and MTSU would not be a part of that league. Remember, back in 2010, CUSA set up a batting order for any future invitations. And they followed that order. It was TCU, then Temple, then Tech. When TCU was invited to the Big East, FIU came into the discussion.

For all those reasons, I think Tech and USM would have a chance at being included if they're looking for four to six schools. In any case, Tulsa is first school up.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by detltu View Post
    .... I would offer membership to all of the teams, and let them know that the first 4 to accept had a spot. It's worth a shot.
    I can't imagine that working. But I doubt it would hurt.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

If Boise decides to return to the MW, then the Big East will raid C-USA some more, and we aren't getting picked. It would mean more Belch schools to C-USA.
    It wouldn't have to. CUSA is up to 14, right?

If the new BE takes two eastern schools, we could stick at 12. And depending on who was taken, that might actually increase the average football strength of the conference (see also; Tulane to BE).

As far as I'm concerned, they can have any 2 out of Marshall, ODU, UNC-Charlotte, F_U, UAB, MTSU (and for that matter, UTEP, who obviously wouldn't be considered).

Naturally, if they take more than that, it'd be bad. Or if we lose schools to the MWC (and we're not one of them - which we wouldn't be). Or if the last remaining decent football programs are taken (Tulsa or USM).

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

I think the only thing that can be said for all of this realignment is logic is out the window and no one knows what will happen at this point. There are simply NO absolutes here. Hopefully when all is said and done TECH will land in a safe place that is not including all the old SB schools and hopefully with USM.

Champ dawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to behold dawgs1's Avatar

I think a new conference will be formed for tv dollars. For all of the bad points of creating a new conference (lack of BB credits, no bowl tie-ins...etc.) it also serves the purpose of "dumping the losers." Cincy & Uconn could dump Tulame, Temple, Memphis (since football is driving the bus) & any others.

Just think if CUSA would not have made rush to jugment inclusions. A regional conference with the "best programs." This would increase tv value & $$$$$. FAU, FIU, ODU, Charlotte? Really?

We are stupid if we are not actively lobbying for the newly created conference. It is a no-brainer.

+ Reply to Thread