+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Connecticut Elementary Shooting

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

Re: Connecticut Elementary Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    As far as mental illness goes, I think it is safe to say that these people that go on killing sprees are not acting sanely in the circumstances. Yet, not all of the mentally ill go on killing sprees.
    Very true, most act inwardly and hurt themselves; on rare occasions we have incidents like these. I disagreeing that any parenting could have helped, when these things come up the only thing that can help are professionals. It would be like your son or daughter coming down with a genetic disease and the parent thinks they can cure it with chicken noodle soup and having them stay home for a day or two. Yeah their symptoms might go away for awhile but it's gonna come back with out serious medical treatment. Most people in the US have no respect for mental illness, they think it's just an attitude problem and people need to "get over it" or can be fixed with a few pills. One commentator I heard on Fox News was asked what will change he said (and i'm paraphrasing) 'Nothing, we'll put off talking about the underlying issues because it's too painful right now then when we go to talk about it no one will care enough to fight about it, it's horrible that in this country more people have access to guns than mental health services.'

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GermDawg View Post
    Very true, most act inwardly and hurt themselves; on rare occasions we have incidents like these. I disagreeing that any parenting could have helped, when these things come up the only thing that can help are professionals. It would be like your son or daughter coming down with a genetic disease and the parent thinks they can cure it with chicken noodle soup and having them stay home for a day or two. Yeah their symptoms might go away for awhile but it's gonna come back with out serious medical treatment. Most people in the US have no respect for mental illness, they think it's just an attitude problem or can be fixed with a few pills.
    Parenting, to me, means understanding what your child needs and providing it. In these cases, it means paying attention and understanding that your kid needs medical treatment.
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GermDawg View Post
    It would be like your son or daughter coming down with a genetic disease and the parent thinks they can cure it with chicken noodle soup and having them stay home for a day or two. Yeah their symptoms might go away for awhile but it's gonna come back with out serious medical treatment. Most people in the US have no respect for mental illness, they think it's just an attitude problem and people need to "get over it" or can be fixed with a few pills. One commentator I heard on Fox News was asked what will change he said (and i'm paraphrasing) 'Nothing, we'll put off talking about the underlying issues because it's too painful right now then when we go to talk about it no one will care enough to fight about it, it's horrible that in this country more people have access to guns than mental health services.'
    The "put prayer back in school" solutions to this problem offered in this thread are in the same boat as the "chicken noodle soup" solution from your example.
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Crowdaddy View Post
    There's no excuse for what transpired but it's time to put pray back in school! We're not bigger than our Creator. It's time for us as a nation to stand on That principle alone.
    There were probably several of those kids praying that they would not get shot.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

The "put prayer back in school" solutions to this problem offered in this thread are in the same boat as the "chicken noodle soup" solution from your example.
    Keep thinking that and watch what continues to happen per these type of tragedies and society in general.

Puppy Crowdaddy is a jewel in the roughCrowdaddy is a jewel in the roughCrowdaddy is a jewel in the roughCrowdaddy is a jewel in the roughCrowdaddy is a jewel in the roughCrowdaddy is a jewel in the roughCrowdaddy is a jewel in the roughCrowdaddy is a jewel in the roughCrowdaddy is a jewel in the roughCrowdaddy is a jewel in the roughCrowdaddy is a jewel in the rough

As a Christian I did suggest to "put pray back in school." Being a Christian doesn't mean you're naive. I understand fully that "Faith without work is dead." It takes a concerted effort on all levels to be voices for the voiceless victims. But what I am certain of is that God is the Principal counsel. How can our nation prosper and be sheilded from all detriments, threats, etc. if we dont put him first?

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    Keep thinking that and watch what continues to happen per these type of tragedies and society in general.
    My thinking has no effect on the situation.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Meanwhile In Texas, Another Deranged Lunatic Is Stopped In His Tracks

Posted by: MacAoidh on Monday, December 17, 2012, 11:36

We nearly had another Aurora movie theater shooting. This happened in Texas over the weekend, as a San Antonio movie theater erupted in gunfire
    Two people are hospitalized after a gunman chased terrified restaurant patrons into the lobby of the Santikos Mayan 14 movie theater during a showing of “The Hobbit” last night, 1200 WOAI news reprots.
    Police detectives and sheriff’s investigators say the incident started in the China Garden Restaurant on Southwest Military Drive about 9 PM Sunday, when an employee of the restaurant walked in looking for a woman.
    When the woman, who officials say is also a restaurant employee, wasn’t there, the man pulled a gun and attempted to open fire in the restaurant but his weapon jammed.
    “It started at the restaurant and then went into the parking lot and then into the movie theater,” Deputy Lou Antu told 1200 WOAI news.
    Investigators say some of the terrified restaurant patrons poured into the movie theater, and the gunman followed.
    He opened fire, shooting one man in the chest, before Antu says an off duty sheriff’s deputy who was working security at the theater shot him once.
    Nobody died in San Antonio, thank God. The reason? There was armed security in that theater. The deranged lunatic was beaten at his game.

The good guys won, and lives were saved.

MORE
    http://thehayride.com/2012/12/meanwh...in-his-tracks/

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    Meanwhile In Texas, Another Deranged Lunatic Is Stopped In His Tracks

Posted by: MacAoidh on Monday, December 17, 2012, 11:36

We nearly had another Aurora movie theater shooting. This happened in Texas over the weekend, as a San Antonio movie theater erupted in gunfire
    Two people are hospitalized after a gunman chased terrified restaurant patrons into the lobby of the Santikos Mayan 14 movie theater during a showing of “The Hobbit” last night, 1200 WOAI news reprots.
    Police detectives and sheriff’s investigators say the incident started in the China Garden Restaurant on Southwest Military Drive about 9 PM Sunday, when an employee of the restaurant walked in looking for a woman.
    When the woman, who officials say is also a restaurant employee, wasn’t there, the man pulled a gun and attempted to open fire in the restaurant but his weapon jammed.
    “It started at the restaurant and then went into the parking lot and then into the movie theater,” Deputy Lou Antu told 1200 WOAI news.
    Investigators say some of the terrified restaurant patrons poured into the movie theater, and the gunman followed.
    He opened fire, shooting one man in the chest, before Antu says an off duty sheriff’s deputy who was working security at the theater shot him once.
    Nobody died in San Antonio, thank God. The reason? There was armed security in that theater. The deranged lunatic was beaten at his game.

The good guys won, and lives were saved.

MORE
    http://thehayride.com/2012/12/meanwh...in-his-tracks/
    And then there's this one. Typical hypocrites!!

Houston Dem Precinct Chair: Stop Gun Violence by Shooting NRA Members

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

The guns were all acquired legally by his mom. Current thinking is that he took them after he killed her.

Champ tigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant future tigtoo30's Avatar

Sad thing is, many parents are in denial that their children are "challenged". I spoke to a friend today whose nephew has mental problems. Just had to have spinal surgery from throwing himself on the floor during a tantrum. He's 24. Mental care in this country has been overlooked for years. My opinion is that we need to stop taking money away from our school system, and reinvest in our children as well as teaching parents.

I've watched over the years, our government cut school spending more and more. This never happened when I was a kid because teachers were allowed to discipline and talk honestly with parents about behavioral problems. Today, most teachers have to play by a set of rules that has created a generation of disrespect.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

As far as mental illness goes, I think it is safe to say that these people that go on killing sprees are not acting sanely in the circumstances. Yet, not all of the mentally ill go on killing sprees.
    Nope! some think they're traffic cops and stand in the middle of the highway "directing" traffic. Like that loon who did that in Coushatta on busy Hwy 71. I asked, and was told he was not some whacked-out drug head, but rather a mental health patient who escaped from some home periodically. He wore a toy badge and cop hat, and blew a toy whistle.

And....if these cold-blooded killers are not insane, what's that say about the human race? I HOPE they are crazy.

Message from Mike Huckabee

I’ve said some controversial things from time to time, but none which prompted such a backlash as when I stated that the horrific shooting in CT of school children and teachers couldn’t be blamed on God because we’ve systematically marginalized God out of our culture by removing Him from all aspects of the public square. The vicious attacks that have resulted, most of all of which are based on total ignorance of what I actually said have actually validated my point, but I’m quite certain that was not the intent of both the professional and amateur critics who have demanded everything from my being banned from ever speaking in public again, or wished me a slow and painful death. On that alone, I wish to acknowledge that the left has again shown that it defines tolerance and diversity as being tolerant only of that with which it agrees, and diverse only to include slight shades of the orthodoxy of liberalism to which they adhere. They abhor censorship of their own profanity, obscenities, or graphic violence, but are the first to demand that a voice that invokes the name of God to be silenced. A specific act of violence is rarely the result of a specific single act of a culture that prompts it. In other words, I would never say that simply taking prayer and Bible reading from our institutions or silencing Christmas carols is the direct cause of a mass murder. That would be ludicrous and simplistic. But the cause and effect we see in the dramatic changes of what our children are capable of is a part of a cultural shift from a God-centered culture to a self-centered culture. We have glorified uninhibited self-expression and individualism and are shocked that we have a generation of loners. We have insisted on a society where everyone gets a trophy and no the notion that there are moral absolutes and seemed amazed when some kids make it their own morality to kill innocent children. We diminish and even hold in contempt the natural family of a father and mother creating and then responsibly raising the next generation and then express dismay that kids feel no real connection to their families or even the concept of a family. We scoff at the need for mothers and fathers to make it their priority to train their children to be strong in spirit and soul and responsible for right and wrong and exalt instead the virtue of having things and providing expensive toys, games, and electronics that substitute for parenting and then don’t understand why our kids would rather have ear buds dangling from their ears, fingers attaching to a smart phone, and face attached to a computer screen than to have an extended conversation with their family at dinner. And we don’t teach them there is a Creator God who sets immutable rules, a God who is knowable, and to whom we are ultimately responsible. Instead we teach that God was not involved in our origins, that our very lives are biological happenstances and in fact are disposable should they be inconvenient to us, and that any outrageous behaviors are not sin, but disorders for which we should be excused and accommodated. I realize my viewpoint sounds out-dated and archaic, but when that world view was the foundation of our nation’s social contract, we got in trouble at school for talking in class, chewing gum, pulling a girl’s pigtails, or slouching in our school desks. We took guns to school, to be sure, but they were in the gun racks of our trucks and we used them to hunt before and after school. It never occurred to us to use them to murder our teachers and fellow students. So yes, I can stand the contempt and criticism of the left. I’ll gladly accept their scorn as they substitute creative language with a steady stream of profanity-laced tirades that I’m an idiot, a throwback to the past, and a person who should be forever silenced. But when we as a nation feared God, we didn’t fear that a 20 year old with a high powered rifle would gun down our children in their schoolrooms.

Huckabee = more chicken soup

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tigtoo30 View Post
    Sad thing is, many parents are in denial that their children are "challenged". I spoke to a friend today whose nephew has mental problems. Just had to have spinal surgery from throwing himself on the floor during a tantrum. He's 24. Mental care in this country has been overlooked for years. My opinion is that we need to stop taking money away from our school system, and reinvest in our children as well as teaching parents.

I've watched over the years, our government cut school spending more and more. This never happened when I was a kid because teachers were allowed to discipline and talk honestly with parents about behavioral problems. Today, most teachers have to play by a set of rules that has created a generation of disrespect.
    I have a friend that is begging for help with her son due to mental issues. There is simply no help available for parents that work and have an income. If they quit they could get him on free programs, but they are still programs that are reactive and not proactive to keep bad things from happening. All of the money gets cut quickly for mental health care. I can understand why it gets cut, but it is a real problem for those that need it. My friend would gladly pay, there is just no one to pay for the help they need. If they truly have dangerous behavior from mental health issues, all the teaching parents in the world will not change that they are a danger.

+ Reply to Thread