+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Would You Hire a Coach with a 16-20 Record.....

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Would You Hire a Coach with a 16-20 Record.....

Quote Originally Posted by deters View Post
    They lost 5 of their last 7 games with 3 of those losses to #8 Cincinnati, #20 Pittsburgh and #17 Miami. But that season was ruined after our 3rd game. Matt Grothe our 4 year starting senior QB who holds the record for all purpose yards in the Big East tore his ACL in our 3rd game vs Charleston Southern. Leavitt was then forced to start a redshirt freshman QB with no experience whats so ever the rest of the season.

3 straight seasons of starting 5-0 while defeating multiple top 25 teams over that span is a rising program.

I'm not even gonna get started on Leavitt hitting a player. I will just say it was blown out of proportion and multiple sources inside the locker contradicted what was reported.

Btw, those hyping his recruiting prowess because of Asiantii Woulard should keep in mind he was an unknown 3* prospect with almost no major offers and not even in the Top 15 of QB's before being a late add to ESPN Elite 11. Once he won that competition he shot up the boards based on hype. He had a horrible senior season and only played QB for 2 years. Holtz proved to be an average recruiter at USF. He won't have any flashy adds but will bring in consistent talent level. He could probably be a really solid coach with top coordinators and recruiters by his side.
    You mean you weren't happy with those 5 Big East wins in 3 years? That's almost 2 wins per year.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by glm47 View Post
    Damn Ray, didn't realize you had converted to a liberal democrat wanting to suppress dissenting views based on FACTS.
    Good point! been a long 10 days or so.

Champ MiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by DONW View Post
    I get a good laugh every time I hear about a coach being too rough on a player. I played football at Springhill in the early 60's. If any one of our coaches had ever hit a player, he would have got his ass kicked in a minute.
    Leavitt sure looked like he got his butt kicked from pics I have seen. I want a coach with character ala Dykes...not a man like Dooley. Both were successful to a certain degree at TECH but I respect one and not the other. Same with Leavitt and Holtz until proven otherwise.

My dad played on the Minden High State Championship team in the early/mid 60's.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by MiloBumP View Post
    Leavitt sure looked like he got his butt kicked from pics I have seen. I want a coach with character ala Dykes...not a man like Dooley. Both were successful to a certain degree at TECH but I respect one and not the other. Same with Leavitt and Holtz until proven otherwise.

My dad played on the Minden High State Championship team in the early/mid 60's.
    That was a really good Minden team. Freddy Haynes, the QB, was my second cousin. What position did your dad play? That was my junior year.

Champ MiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond repute

That was a really good Minden team. Freddy Haynes, the QB, was my second cousin. What position did your dad play? That was my junior year.
    My dad was the ONLY junior starter on that team. #63 guard 135 lbs soaking wet but didn't stop until that whistle blowed. Sent you a PM Don.

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

over the last 3 years?
    depends-- if I am in CUSA and he won 2 straight championship before leaving --probably. If he took over a program that had only won 3 games in 2 years and proceeded to win 38 games- probably. If he beat 2 top 20 teams in back to back years-- probably. If he took east Carolina to # 9 in nation-- probably. If I went on Rivals and saw the 3-4 star recruits ( few 2s). If I saw # 4 qb in nation commit to him for next yr-- out of probablies. Upside off the charts. We were on the job training for Dooley and Dykes. Skip needs the right staff and we will be serious contenders for CUSA with a coach who won championships his last 2 yrs coaching CUSA.. You will never get anyone to take you seriously till you do your homework. He's still won huge games and more than he's lost

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T1 View Post
    What was Dooley... 17-20? He got millions from Tennessee.

But Holtz has about 71 more wins and 3 more championships on his resume than Dooley.
    you ever get the feeling that some of these folks don't let the facts get in their way?? Holtz won last 2 CUSA championships before he left. Something obviously went wrong last couple yrs in s Florida. I think of Andy Reid and Eagles-- Andy did not become a bad coach-- he will come back somewhere and be successfully again-- heck, Saban could not win in Florida and Alabama did not give up on him

Puppy deters is just really nicedeters is just really nicedeters is just really nicedeters is just really nicedeters is just really nicedeters is just really nicedeters is just really nicedeters is just really nice

You mean you weren't happy with those 5 Big East wins in 3 years? That's almost 2 wins per year.
    If I knew Holtz time at USF was gonna be that pathetic, I would've asked a genie for Leavitt back. He took a team that returned 16 starters on a senior laden team and went 3-9. So yea, not too happy with those 5 wins over 3 years

Puppy deters is just really nicedeters is just really nicedeters is just really nicedeters is just really nicedeters is just really nicedeters is just really nicedeters is just really nicedeters is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by Dogsince65 View Post
    depends-- if I am in CUSA and he won 2 straight championship before leaving --probably. If he took over a program that had only won 3 games in 2 years and proceeded to win 38 games- probably. If he beat 2 top 20 teams in back to back years-- probably. If he took east Carolina to # 9 in nation-- probably. If I went on Rivals and saw the 3-4 star recruits ( few 2s). If I saw # 4 qb in nation commit to him for next yr-- out of probablies. Upside off the charts. We were on the job training for Dooley and Dykes. Skip needs the right staff and we will be serious contenders for CUSA with a coach who won championships his last 2 yrs coaching CUSA.. You will never get anyone to take you seriously till you do your homework. He's still won huge games and more than he's lost
    With all do respect to Asiantii, he was not the #4 QB in the nation when he committed to USF. He was a 3* under the radar guy without a single big time program offer (still doesn't have a premier offer) and not anywhere close to being listed as a top QB in the rankings. He has only played 2 seasons of QB, and his senior year was just atrocious. He was lucky to be invited to the Elite 11 and won it. After that it has been all hype from that one tourney that skyrocketed his exposure. After winning the E11 ESPN ranked him the #1 dual threat QB, before that he wasn't even in their Top 15. Don't get me wrong, he has all the tools and psychical stature to be a solid QB but Holtz didn't exactly steal a top 5 QB which had offers from USC, Alabama, LSU and Florida. His best offers are from Wake Forest, Pittsburgh, Ole Miss, NC State and Boston College with Tennessee showing interest but no formal offer.
    Last edited by deters; 12-14-2012 at 11:04 PM.

He had a 5-16 record in the Big East, the same Big East that Levitt had success in previously. I saw his record at Connecticut and East Carolina, but, why can't he win at USF when he followed a coach there that had been winning. It's not like he had to build the program from nothing like Levitt did.

Anyone interested--here is example of lazy posters--google Rivals-- football commits by position- qb. Then all purpose quarterbacks -- Asainti ranked number 4 in nation. This DETERS poser has no cred--caput, gone. Easy to verify. Issue is he committed to Coach Holtz and bailed SF when they let him go.

Anyone interested--here is example of lazy posters--google Rivals-- football commits by position- qb. Then all purpose quarterbacks -- Asainti ranked number 4 in nation. This DETERS poser has no cred--caput, gone. Easy to verify. Issue is he committed to Coach Holtz and bailed SF when they let him go.
    Yea, I have no cred. I've only followed his recruitment process since summer of 2011. He was a 3* recruit when he committed to USF in the spring of 2012. At that time 247 ranked him #12 dual threat QB in the nation and 2nd best in Florida as well as the #61 player in Florida. The Miami Herald had him ranked as the #35th best player in Florida.He was ranked as a 3* and #12th dual threat QB by rivals and outside the Top 20 of overall QB's at the time of his commitment. And was also one of the last QB's selected to be in the Elite 11 after Trent Dilfer decided to expand it to 25 players.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/hsspo...3-top-100.html

All of those stats are before he won Elite 11. After that is when he got his 4* ranking and jumped up the boards.

Current ranking by site
    Rivals - #4 DT 4*
    Scout - #21 Overall QB 4*
    247 - #4 DT 4*
    ESPN - #1 DT 4*

Still doesn't change the fact he has no premier offers.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Why are you even on our board?
    Quote Originally Posted by deters View Post
    Yea, I have no cred. I've only followed his recruitment process since summer of 2011. He was a 3* recruit when he committed to USF in the spring of 2012. At that time 247 ranked him #12 dual threat QB in the nation and 2nd best in Florida as well as the #61 player in Florida. The Miami Herald had him ranked as the #35th best player in Florida.He was ranked as a 3* and #12th dual threat QB by rivals and outside the Top 20 of overall QB's at the time of his commitment. And was also one of the last QB's selected to be in the Elite 11 after Trent Dilfer decided to expand it to 25 players.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/hsspo...3-top-100.html

All of those stats are before he won Elite 11. After that is when he got his 4* ranking and jumped up the boards.

Current ranking by site
    Rivals - #4 DT 4*
    Scout - #21 Overall QB 4*
    247 - #4 DT 4*
    ESPN - #1 DT 4*

Still doesn't change the fact he has no premier offers.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

How did he win the Elite 11?

Maybe he didn't get offered b/c he was committed to USF. Let's see if he gets more now that he decommitted...

Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog View Post
    How did he win the Elite 11?

Maybe he didn't get offered b/c he was committed to USF. Let's see if he gets more now that he decommitted...
    I'm not sure. Only the coaches from the Elite 11 know why they gave him the award. He had a solid showing and performed good in all the tests they ran him through. He decommitted the first time to take more visits and test the water. He had plenty of interest but it didn't equate to big time offers. The biggest school after him atm is Tennessee but to my knowledge there hasn't been a reported offer, only official visits.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/re...s-elite-11-mvp

+ Reply to Thread