+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Relationships Between Coaches and Boosters

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Relationships Between Coaches and Boosters

This is an article about Chip Kelly at Oregon, but I'm not posting it because of him or the school.

http://network.yardbarker.com/colleg..._head_12479341

The article basically says that some boosters wouldn't mind seeing him go to the NFL because he doesn't schmooze the boosters enough. There are also plenty of stories out there about Saban not being especially social, but both he and Kelly win. I guess if you win, you don't have to be friendly.

But, here's the question: Should a coach be expected to be overly friendly with boosters? I understand that there are expectations (banquets, golf tourneys, etc.) but why should a coach go out of his way to hang out with Mr. Big and make him feel cool?

I mean, I get it. The coach needs to be cool to those guys to keep them interested in the program. But, when a guy has put you on the map, and you want him to leave because he doesn't stroke your ego..... that's a you problem, not a me problem.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Re: Relationships Between Coaches and Boosters

Sonny D did fantasy camp/fund-raisers two summers he was here. It allowed "boosters" unlimited access for a couple of days and a get to know opportunity AND to socialize with all the coaches. And, yes, it allowed SD a way to squeeze a few more dollars out of the boosters for some projects he had in the fooball department.
    Last summer there was a lack of interest and it was not held.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ Woof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by StrayDawg View Post
    But, here's the question: Should a coach be expected to be overly friendly with boosters?
    If the boosters are billionaires like Phil Knight and T. Boone Pickens, the answer is yes. If the booster gives just a few million bucks, the answer is no.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Woof! View Post
    If the boosters are billionaires like Phil Knight and T. Boone Pickens, the answer is yes. If the booster gives just a few million bucks, the answer is no.
    I agree, Woof, and I had the same thought. This article sounds like a bunch of people who wish they were Phil Knight, but know they can't reach that level. That's what made me wonder where a coach is supposed to draw the line.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    Last summer there was a lack of interest and it was not held.
    He/Tech never announced the camp was going to be held. Could that have contributed to the lack of interest?

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    He/Tech never announced the camp was going to be held. Could that have contributed to the lack of interest?
    After the slim turnout in year two, the interest was lacking.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

+ Reply to Thread