+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MWC, CBS Restructure TV Deal

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Re: MWC, CBS Restructure TV Deal

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    IF Hair Thompson and CBS get their way, this is how I see the "Group of Five" falling into place in the next few months...

Mountain West
    East
    Houston
    SMU

New Mexico
    Air Force
    Colorado State
    Wyoming
    Utah State
    West
    Boise State
    Nevada
    UNLV
    San Jose State
    Fresno State
    San Diego State
    Hawai'i
    Big East
    North
    UConn
    UMass
    Temple
    Navy
    East Carolina
    Cincinnati
    Memphis
    South
    UCF
    South Florida
    Tulane
    Tulsa
    North Texas
    Rice
    UTEP
    Conference USA
    East
    Marshall
    Old Dominion
    Charlotte
    WKU
    Georgia State
    Florida Atlantic
    FIU
    West
    Middle Tennessee
    UAB
    Southern Miss
    Louisiana Tech
    Texas State
    UTSA
    New Mexico State
    MAC
    East
    Buffalo
    Kent State
    Akron
    Ohio
    Bowling Green
    Miami (Ohio)
    West
    Toledo
    Eastern Michigan
    Central Michigan
    Western Michigan
    Ball State
    Northern Illinois
    Sun Belt
    Football
    James Madison
    Appalachian State
    Georgia Southern

South Alabama
    Troy
    Arkansas State
    La-Monroe
    La-Lafayette
    Idaho (fb-only)
    Non-football
    UA-Little Rock
    UT-Arlington

This does not take into account the impending additions to the B1G and SEC that would send UConn and Cincinnati to the ACC.

Then the Big East would invite two more C-USA schools, and we would not be one of them.

Then C-USA would backfill with two more jucos from the Belch.
    North Texas in the BE?? I don't think so. And if needing 2 more from your CUSA list above I still say Tech and USM or maybe Tech and UTSA (especially over UNT). Not all would have to be markets when your talking that many teams. Quality and recruiting grounds come into play at some point and I betting on our new educated "sports minded" President, Coach White and Holtz getting us to that point.
    Last edited by TYLERTECHSAS; 12-28-2012 at 09:10 AM.

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

We have a way better chance if getting into BE than UNT.

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

I think ASU has already said that if moving up meant the SBC, they would not do it. They are holding out for CUSA or better. Things can change, but I believe that is their stance at this moment.

Champ domangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond repute domangue's Avatar

Ok Dawg06, UTEP to the Big East? Really?

For the coveted #91 DMA El Paso/Las Cruces market?

Why would we be behind them with the #83 DMA Shreveport?

As I've said, I understand your point, and I agree with you that we aren't close to being the prettiest girl at the dance. But, after you step away from the couple of obvious slam-dunk propositions (i.e. Tulsa)... you are way too negative on our prospects relative to the other schools down the ladder.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by domangue View Post
    Ok Dawg06, UTEP to the Big East? Really?

For the coveted #91 DMA El Paso/Las Cruces market?

Why would we be behind them with the #83 DMA Shreveport?

As I've said, I understand your point, and I agree with you that we aren't close to being the prettiest girl at the dance. But, after you step away from the couple of obvious slam-dunk propositions (i.e. Tulsa)... you are way too negative on our prospects relative to the other schools down the ladder.
    All you have to do is go back to April 30, 2004, to see that the Big East would take UTEP over us.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hookdown View Post
    I think ASU has already said that if moving up meant the SBC, they would not do it. They are holding out for CUSA or better. Things can change, but I believe that is their stance at this moment.
    Then the Belch is in serious trouble if Benson can't convince App State to move up. Hello Liberty, Lamar, Sammy State, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    North Texas in the BE?? I don't think so. And if needing 2 more from your CUSA list above I still say Tech and USM or maybe Tech and UTSA (especially over UNT). Not all would have to be markets when your talking that many teams. Quality and recruiting grounds come into play at some point and I betting on our new educated "sports minded" President, Coach White and Holtz getting us to that point.
    Quote Originally Posted by KSDAWG View Post
    We have a way better chance if getting into BE than UNT.
    The Big East already invited TCU and SMU, and if Hair Thompson and CBS get their way, SMU would be heading to the MW. The Big East obviously wants to claim the 5th largest media market in the United States. The Big East will go after North Texas to fill that void.

A North Texas invitation wouldn't just be for their media market. UNT has shown commitment to building and improving their facilities with their newly completed $78 million football stadium. We can't even get a $16 million stadium renovation project underway.

That new "sports minded" president couldn't convince anybody on page 1 of his initial list to come coach at Tech, but you think he can convince the Big East to invite us?

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

You are reading too much into the markets. A lot of people in hindsight believe that's what's gotten us in the expansion mess. It comes to a point where Product overcomes market.

Champ domangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond repute domangue's Avatar

All you have to do is go back to April 30, 2004, to see that the Big East would take UTEP over us.
    OK, gotcha. So we're still in the midst of the bowels of the JOAKES era with JBIII as coach coming off two straight losing seasons, with no hope in sight. And, UTEP just showed an incredible commitment to build the program by hiring a hotshot coach who led his team to multiple Rose Bowls.

Yep, those circumstances haven't been revised whatsoever in the past eight years.... just like the crime rate in Juarez hasn't gone up either.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

The Big East already invited TCU and SMU, and if Hair Thompson and CBS get their way, SMU would be heading to the MW. The Big East obviously wants to claim the 5th largest media market in the United States. The Big East will go after North Texas to fill that void.

A North Texas invitation wouldn't just be for their media market. UNT has shown commitment to building and improving their facilities with their newly completed $78 million football stadium. We can't even get a $16 million stadium renovation project underway.

That new "sports minded" president couldn't convince anybody on page 1 of his initial list to come coach at Tech, but you think he can convince the Big East to invite us?
    UNT doesn't capture the DFW media market. In fact, per today's DMN's paper, UNT didn't even capture the recruiting market as not a single Dallas Morning News Top 100 recruit in the DFW area has committed to UNT. They're not even referenced anywhere. But there are 2 Tech commits listed in the Dallas Morning News Top 100 today!!!

Champ parisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond repute parisdog's Avatar

Still upset over the Holtz hire?

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    UNT doesn't capture the DFW media market. In fact, per today's DMN's paper, UNT didn't even capture the recruiting market as not a single Dallas Morning News Top 100 recruit in the DFW area has committed to UNT. They're not even referenced anywhere. But there are 2 Tech commits listed in the Dallas Morning News Top 100 today!!!
    Since when has capturing a market ever mattered in conference realignment?

Quote Originally Posted by KSDAWG View Post
    You are reading too much into the markets. A lot of people in hindsight believe that's what's gotten us in the expansion mess. It comes to a point where Product overcomes market.
    It's not just about markets. There are secondary factors like I mentioned in another thread:
    - athletic budget
    - commitment to building and improving athletic facilities
    - size of the fan base
    - football program capable of busting the BC$ every year
    - men's basketball program that produces NCAA unit$ in March

Simply being competitive in the major sports won't get us invited to the Big East. At least nobody has been invited on that basis yet.

I just think we have as legitimate a shot as many you have mentioned prior. UNT is not on par with us. Athletic budgets are very skewed, our academics are rock solid and if we can ever get the Q4E started we would be in good shape.

Now show me a school besides Boise that is a year in and year out BCS buster.
    Our Basketball program is improving very much and could be in the tourney this year.
    Our fanbase has almost doubled since I left school in 06 and attendance in up 25k from 16k 10 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by domangue View Post
    OK, gotcha. So we're still in the midst of the bowels of the JOAKES era with JBIII as coach coming off two straight losing seasons, with no hope in sight. And, UTEP just showed an incredible commitment to build the program by hiring a hotshot coach who led his team to multiple Rose Bowls.

Yep, those circumstances haven't been revised whatsoever in the past eight years.... just like the crime rate in Juarez hasn't gone up either.
    I don't think much has changed when compared to UTEP.

Sure, our budget has increased. Dooley built a jumbotron. Our football attendance has increased.

But...
    UTEP still has better athletic facilities.
    UTEP still has a larger athletic budget.
    UTEP still has a larger fan base.
    UTEP likely now has better relationships with those schools headed for the Big East.

+ Reply to Thread