+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Another thought on the Big East/MWC saga?

Champ parialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of light

Re: Another thought on the Big East/MWC saga?

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar King View Post
    As leaders of the incoming nBE schools, Us and SMU will not allow the teams I bolded and most certainly the team I underlined to join our conference. There is way too much deadweight in the conference you proposed and in turn will do nothing but hold us back. We will most likely block Rice from joining whatever conference we go to in the future and most of us CUSA originals are very pissed off with Southern Miss due the 2011 CUSA championship game fiasco, hence why they're in the situation they're in. I astrisked La Tech because they could be useful but weighing in all of the pros and cons make it a 55/45 thing when it comes to benefitting us personally.
    As mentioned, Houston doesn't even get a vote yet. That'll come later this year, when we are actual members. We may have soft influence, threatening to leave for the MWC and such, but it's appearing that's not a viable option for us.

Southern Miss blackballed because they whooped our [derrieres]? That's too lame for words. They came out to play and we didn't. Yes, they cost the conference a lot of money, but what were they supposed to do? Throw the game? That was *our* job, evidently. They're in the situation they're in due to financial constraints, lack of a market, and an 0-12 season last year. Despite that, though, they have quite a bit going for them.
    University of Houston '01. Any references to "we" or "us" likely refer to UH. Cheers!

Champ parialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    I dont think the Big10, $ec, ACC, & Big12 are done with their plans. In addition to UConn & Cincy, I think Temple also fits the profile of a likely expansion target by one of the "AQ" conferences.

Then its just UCF, USF, Tulane, Memphis, Houston, & SMU. Even if ECU joins for all sports, it's still not enough. But that group might be able to poach some CUSA members if the money is right.

But if the MWC also grabs some combination of Houston, SMU & Tulsa, then BE football will go the way of, well .... WAC football.
    I am tempted to say that UH and SMU leaving - along with Tulsa being taken off the table - might be the last straw, but I think I would be falling into the trap of supposing what other schools will just have to accept. They'll still be sitting on a pile of money to help C*USA and MAC schools transition to the conference. The main threat at this point is Cincinnati/UConn leaving and disbanding the conference on their way out. Even then, I don't think it's a slam dunk (and unlikely if UH and SMU don't go west and Tulsa is still on the able). UH and SMU heading west is appearing increasingly unlikely. It looks like they sold so much to Boise that they don't have a whole lot left to offer us.
    University of Houston '01. Any references to "we" or "us" likely refer to UH. Cheers!

Champ DawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond repute DawgFaninHous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by parialex View Post
    As mentioned, Houston doesn't even get a vote yet. That'll come later this year, when we are actual members. We may have soft influence, threatening to leave for the MWC and such, but it's appearing that's not a viable option for us.

Southern Miss blackballed because they whooped our [derrieres]? That's too lame for words. They came out to play and we didn't. Yes, they cost the conference a lot of money, but what were they supposed to do? Throw the game? That was *our* job, evidently. They're in the situation they're in due to financial constraints, lack of a market, and an 0-12 season last year. Despite that, though, they have quite a bit going for them.
    Parialex,

In your opinion, would UH be okay with Rice coming or could we (Tech) conceivably be a better fit with Tulsa & USM???? In other words, would UH blackball Rice because they are in Houston? I am sure Tulane would blackball us, but if UH was deadset against Rice, our chances are enhanced! My opinion.

DFiH

Quote Originally Posted by DawgFaninHous View Post
    Parialex,

In your opinion, would UH be okay with Rice coming or could we (Tech) conceivably be a better fit with Tulsa & USM???? In other words, would UH blackball Rice because they are in Houston? I am sure Tulane would blackball us, but if UH was deadset against Rice, our chances are enhanced! My opinion.
    As long as UH and SMU are in the conference, I have to think your chances are much, much better than Rice's. I wouldn't be worried about Tulane, I don't think they'll have the pull, though if Memphis is dead-set against you that could be problematic. In your favor would likely be ECU. You're far away, but you're a peer institution and they don't have any. One of the two or three reasons why I am (very marginally) worried about them backing out is that they are kind of lonely in the conference. A bunch of urban and private schools... and ECU. The fact that they haven't even been extended a full invite yet only adds to that (again, marginal) concern. For our sake, I really hope that the BE is taking ECU's concerns seriously.

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar King View Post
    As leaders of the incoming nBE schools, Us and SMU...
    Please do not take this wrong, and this is not an attack or flame, just some legit questions.

Who made the determination that UH/SMU were the leaders? What was the criteria? Would not Memphis/UCF take offense at that designation?

Seriously, just curious as to how this came about.

Champ BuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant future BuzDawg73's Avatar

I can answer that. It is the arrogance of this poster.

Champ GrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to all

The main threat at this point is Cincinnati/UConn leaving and disbanding the conference on their way out.
    they wouldn't be able to disband on their way out. there are currently 4 voting members of the Big East. Cincy, UConn, Temple, and USF. Cincy and UConn would need to get one of the other 2 to vote for disbanding the conference to make it happen.

my guess is the ONLY conference switch to happen between now and March is SDSU heading back to the MWC.

everyone else is watching Cincy+UConn. Those 2 are starting at their caller ID's waiting for a call from Greensboro NC. the ACC head office in Greensboro is waiting to see how the lawsuit vs Maryland will go.

if the courts rule that Md has to pay $52 to go to the Big 10+4 then you can bet that the rest of the ACC stays put (no further expansion by the ACC to take Cincy/UConn).
    If the courts rule that Md can get out cheaper (say for only $17 mil) then the floodgates will open. the Big 10+4 will add some. the SEC will add some. the Big 12-2 will add some. then the only question will be which conference name will the ACC/Big East merger take. my guess is they take the ACC name and sell the Big East name to the Catholic 7. if that is the case...then you may see all 4 of the voting members of the Big East vote to disband the conference before joining the ACC. that will leave some teams in limbo because not all of the "new" big east teams will be seen as having any value to the ACC (I am looking at you Tulane). you may have the new ACC be: Houston, SMU, Memphis, Cincinnati, N. Carolina St., Wake Forest, Louisville, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Connecticut, South Florida, Temple, Boston College, UCF. Tulane, ECU and Navy get left in the cold with no conference left to join. Tulane and ECU slink back to CUSA, Navy back to independent status.

all eyes in the conference shuffle need to be watching the Maryland lawsuit. that will determine a lot of team/conference fates.

Quote Originally Posted by GrassyNoleHitman View Post
    they wouldn't be able to disband on their way out. there are currently 4 voting members of the Big East. Cincy, UConn, Temple, and USF. Cincy and UConn would need to get one of the other 2 to vote for disbanding the conference to make it happen.
    It was previously reported - when the football schools left - that though Temple is a voting member in some respects, for some reason that didn't apply to dissolution. Of course, it was also reported that the basketball schools could disband the conference without any football votes and that turned out not to be true. So I dunno. (It would be kind of funny if West Virginia's early exit actually saved the conference from potential dissolution. Otherwise, Temple would be in the same position the rest of us are and - if Temple gets a vote on such matters - they could turn out the lights.)

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

It was previously reported - when the football schools left - that though Temple is a voting member in some respects, for some reason that didn't apply to dissolution. Of course, it was also reported that the basketball schools could disband the conference without any football votes and that turned out not to be true. So I dunno. (It would be kind of funny if West Virginia's early exit actually saved the conference from potential dissolution. Otherwise, Temple would be in the same position the rest of us are and - if Temple gets a vote on such matters - they could turn out the lights.)
    I guess because Temple is currently a football-only associate member and won't become a full member until July 1, 2013, at the same time as SMU, Houston, Memphis, and UCF.

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrassyNoleHitman View Post
    Tulane and ECU slink back to CUSA, Navy back to independent status.

I suspect Navy would have no problems going back to Indy status if needed. I am surprised they joined in the first place.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Madness
    It's time to close the doors to the Temple of Janus.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg View Post
    Madness
    Yeah, and not even a rumor about us. I don't know if we are trying to do something or just watching.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

NCAA football is self-destructing. Every school is looking out for itself without any consideration of how it is affecting the whole. No self-control; no manners. When a nation does that, it usually leads to an iron fisted dictator.

What can't go on won't.
    It's time to close the doors to the Temple of Janus.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg View Post
    NCAA football is self-destructing. Every school is looking out for itself without any consideration of how it is affecting the whole. No self-control; no manners. When a nation does that, it usually leads to an iron fisted dictator.

What can't go on won't.
    I agree..... I understand trying to better your situation. That is a good thing. However, this is not a situation like that. This is a case of schools leaving and, then, refusing to admit their mistake. So, the Big East will be a Southern conference. Is it now the Big South? We need a leader right now, because we are in a good spot with our program strength. If D.R. would give the reigns to L.G. on this right now, maybe he and Holtz could do something.

First, as I have stated many times, a quick (but formal) market study needs to be done. Hire someone from the outside to study true name recognition, TV audience and potential, and present in a nice "easy to read" packet.

Next, call a meeting with the Presidents, AD's, and HC's of Southern Miss, Tulsa, Houston, SMU, Tulane, ECU, and a few others. Discuss what can be done to make ourselves into a regional conference that has clout for a great TV deal and easy travel to fill the stands.

Get agreement on picking one conference to do that - be that CUSA, Big East, or skip the automatic bid for a few years and form a new conference ourselves.

LEAD - Don't FOLLOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Champ rangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    Yeah, and not even a rumor about us. I don't know if we are trying to do something or just watching.
    Based on current Admin, and bowl debacle, I am not sure we are even watching. As someone said in another post, for DR, CUSA was an arrival destination. Time to sit back and enjoy a pina colada.

+ Reply to Thread