+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Big East considering up to 8 candidates to replace BSU/SDSU

Champ GrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to all

Re: Big East considering up to 8 candidates to replace BSU/SDSU

I'm not sure you can give the Philly market to Delaware. Wilmington De has only 188,420 DMA TV homes. I think that is a better representation of Delaware's market. sure you can give them some of the Philly market, but that market is dominated more by Penn State then even Temple (which is in the city). I doubt that the Big East would consider Delaware as having that large a market. and anyway...it is a duplicate market to Temple.

Champ JAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to behold

Its like waiting on C USA all over again.

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

This time I think we punch through and end up in the nBE.

Champ RougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond repute RougeDawg's Avatar

I can't take that analysis seriously without including our women's basketball attendance.

I'm kidding, I'm kidding. But seriously . . . . we should fire BVDV for the decline of WBB.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrassyNoleHitman View Post
    I'm not sure you can give the Philly market to Delaware. Wilmington De has only 188,420 DMA TV homes. I think that is a better representation of Delaware's market. sure you can give them some of the Philly market, but that market is dominated more by Penn State then even Temple (which is in the city). I doubt that the Big East would consider Delaware as having that large a market. and anyway...it is a duplicate market to Temple.
    The University of Delaware is physically located in the Philly DMA. I assigned every school to the one DMA in which they were physically located (except for Tech, which I gave 2 DMAs). It was much simpler that way. I'm sure some other schools can claim more than one DMA like Southern Miss can claim the Biloxi/Gulfport market, etc.

I don't think Delaware is a Big East candidate, but I do think Delaware could be a C-USA candidate. That wasn't a table just for the Big East. I included the Big East, C-USA, Belch, and FCS schools that I thought could be candidates for C-USA or the Belch. That's why there were so many schools listed.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    Of course they will pick a university off a spreadsheet.
    Of course they won't, but I guarantee you that they've looked at all the numbers on that spreadsheet.

Investment in athletic facilities may be the second biggest factor, but I have no way to objectively quantify it.

There are other important factors like geography, politics, and relationships, but I have no way to objectively quantify those either.

You have to put yourselves in the shoes of the decision makers. What are their visions for the future of the Big East?

- UConn, Cincinnati, Temple, and Memphis want a strong basketball conference.

- South Florida, UCF, and East Carolina want an eastern-based league.

- South Florida, UCF, and Tulane want a strong presence in the big northeastern markets.

- Houston, SMU, and East Carolina want a strong football conference.

- Navy probably wants Army to be a conference game to give them more flexibility in scheduling.

- Houston and SMU supposedly have strong relationships with Tulsa and Southern Miss.

- Aresco wants schools from big markets for TV negotiations and schools that show financial commitment to building a strong athletics program.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Dawg06,

You make some good points, but your UTEP pick puzzles me. We have witnessed the western experiment blow up for the Big East and most of the schools in the nBE want to keep the league "Eastern". UTEP has a pretty good MBB program, but they are basically in New Mexico and the Juarez market probably isn't something the Eastern folks covet too much.

I also think we are just as attractive s UAB, minus the fact that they have previous CUSA membership with the nBE schools. If they are looking at adding 8, then I think we should be in the mix. I totally agree that our outgoing president viewed CUSA as a destination, and we should have already had the Q4E project completed. I just don't think you should write us off that quickly.

Champ parialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of light

UTEP is unlikely, but they could get in basically by having a solid relationship with the right schools. (I know it was common knowledge around here that Conference USA wanted to boot UTEP. Everything I have heard is very much contrary to that.)
    University of Houston '01. Any references to "we" or "us" likely refer to UH. Cheers!

Champ tigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant future tigtoo30's Avatar

But depending on the MWC, wouldn't UTEP prefer that? MWC is turing out to be stronger than initially thought.

Quote Originally Posted by tigtoo30 View Post
    But depending on the MWC, wouldn't UTEP prefer that? MWC is turing out to be stronger than initially thought.
    Yes. UTEP wants the MW. I don't think there is really any mutual interest between UTEP and the Big East. UTEP was my last team in the candidate pool. I think UTEP would need another football team to join the MW with them. The MW wants BYU football, but I just don't see BYU joining for football right now. I don't think SMU or Houston will move to the MW. I don't think there's any other school out there attractive enough to the MW for UTEP to come along with them.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    I'm thinking more like...
    - Army (football only with Navy)
    - Old Dominion
    - UAB
    - UTEP
    UAB? Really? Seriously? Me thinks '06 is simply attempting to stir the pot.

Champ parialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of light

UTEP will as likely as not get an invite in the unlikely event that talks with SDSU break down. Or if UH goes without SMU or BYU reconsiders and UH doesn't,, also unlikely (but not impossible).

Quote Originally Posted by StrayDawg View Post
    Dawg06,

You make some good points, but your UTEP pick puzzles me. We have witnessed the western experiment blow up for the Big East and most of the schools in the nBE want to keep the league "Eastern". UTEP has a pretty good MBB program, but they are basically in New Mexico and the Juarez market probably isn't something the Eastern folks covet too much.

I also think we are just as attractive s UAB, minus the fact that they have previous CUSA membership with the nBE schools. If they are looking at adding 8, then I think we should be in the mix. I totally agree that our outgoing president viewed CUSA as a destination, and we should have already had the Q4E project completed. I just don't think you should write us off that quickly.
    UTEP vs. LaTech
    UTEP's athletic budget is $10.5 million greater than LaTech's budget.
    UTEP has much better facilities than LaTech.
    UTEP has a much bigger fan base than LaTech.
    UTEP has shared a conference with most of those schools since 2005.
    LaTech has a stronger football program than UTEP.
    UTEP has a stronger MBB program than LaTech.
    LaTech has better academics than UTEP.
    Neither school offers a coveted market.
    I don't think geography is a concern to the Big East.
    I don't think Tulane wants to share a conference with us.
    I don't think anything has changed significantly enough since UTEP got the C-USA invite over LaTech in 2004.

UAB vs. LaTech

UAB's athletic budget is over $8 million greater than LaTech's budget.
    We both have sub-par football facilities. Don't know about UAB's other sports.
    LaTech has a bigger football fan base, but UAB has a bigger MBB fan base.
    UAB was a charter member of C-USA with a lot of the new Big East schools.
    LaTech has a stronger football program than UAB.
    UAB has a stronger MBB program than LaTech.
    UAB has better academics than LaTech.
    UAB offers a bigger market than LaTech.
    I think Aresco, ESPN/NBC, Memphis, UConn, Temple, Cincinnati, East Carolina, UCF, South Florida, Navy, and Tulane would be in UAB's corner.
    I think only Houston and SMU may be in our corner.

I hope you're wrong about the others, 06, but I think youre wrong about ECU.

+ Reply to Thread