+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Big East considering up to 8 candidates to replace BSU/SDSU

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Re: Big East considering up to 8 candidates to replace BSU/SDSU

Quote Originally Posted by parialex View Post
    I hope you're wrong about the others, 06, but I think youre wrong about ECU.
    East Carolina does have a new AD now, but Terry Holland was very vocal about adding eastern teams to C-USA to help reduce travel costs. Holland was the one who championed Charlotte and Old Dominion to C-USA even though elevating those schools created recruiting competition that wasn't previously there. Regardless, East Carolina is still only a football-only member, and East Carolina only gets one vote if they even get one at all. I just don't think ECU would really care that much either way. I think all the basketball schools would be strongly in UAB's corner.
    Last edited by Dawg06; 01-09-2013 at 01:24 AM.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    East Carolina does have a new AD now, but Terry Holland was very vocal about adding eastern teams to C-USA to help reduce travel costs. Holland was the one who championed Charlotte and Old Dominion to C-USA to reduce travel costs even though elevating those schools created recruiting competition that wasn't previously there. Regardless, East Carolina is still only a football-only member, and East Carolina only gets one vote if they even get one at all. I just don't think ECU would really care that much either way. I think all the basketball schools would be strongly in UAB's corner.
    I didn't hear about Terry Holland leaving. Where did he go?

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    I didn't hear about Terry Holland leaving. Where did he go?
    Holland announced he was stepping down about a month ago. I assumed he was already gone, but it looks like he's still there. The reports say that he will continue his role as AD until a replacement is found. I guess ECU is currently searching for a new AD.

Champ rebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond repute rebelboi's Avatar

We aren't getting an invite to BE so you guys need to not even start that dream

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by rebelboi View Post
    I feel sorry for anyone that can't allow themselves to dream nor even see the possibilities that could be. And I'm speaking about life in general. And that my friends is why TECH is stuck where we are at times.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    I feel sorry for anyone that can't allow themselves to dream nor even see the possibilities that could be. And I'm speaking about life in general. And that my friends is why TECH is stuck where we are at times.
    When you dream with a broken heart, waking up is the hardest part...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25URKL26I04

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

The athletic budgets are definitely a big deal, and the existing relationship with former C-USA (now Big East) schools are important factors. But, I don't think any of the other stuff matters that much. I will admit that I am not up to snuff on which schools might favor us and who would oppose us, but I do know that the main person opposing us in 2005 was Dick Giannini (AD at USM, and former AD at NLU) and he is now retired.

UTEP would prefer the Mountain West and I think there is a chance they could get it. If SDSU stays in the Big East (a really dumb move in my opinion) then BYU will take their spot in the MWC. If SDSU comes back, then the MWC will still go after BYU and might bring in UTEP to even out the number of teams.

Geography also makes UTEP unilkely, IMO. UTEP was brought into CUSA in 2005, mostly because of Giannini's lobbying, after he got Memphis in his corner and they swayed some other schools. The western movement has fallen apart for the Big East and it will be difficult for them to try again. The only way I see them going for UTEP is if they can get another western school to come with them, and the only team that makes sense is BYU, but the MWC is going to make a pretty hard push for BYU. With Boise and SDSU, the Big East had a shot at BYU, but with only UTEP as a travel partner, I don't see it happening. Moreover, they would be ridiculed in the media for continuing to attempt western expansion after the most recent failure, and nobody wants to be publicly ridiculed during conference relaignment.

I guess it all comes down to the politics of "friendship." Who would support us and who would oppose us? I have no idea, but hopefully Dr. Guice is using his status as president-elect to make a few calls and make new friends.

Stray,

I think that athletic budgets, investment in facilities, and relationships with the member schools are by far the most important factors. I agree that those other factors probably don't mean much. I just think that we fall woefully short with the big three criteria.

Like I said above, I don't think UTEP is getting invited to the Big East, and I think it's clear that UTEP wants to join the MW. UTEP was the last of the 8 schools that I think are in the candidate pool. I just think UTEP would get selected before LaTech. That's all.

Andy Katz (who's employed by ESPN, the same network that the Big East is negotiating their tv contract) pretty much said that Tulsa and UMass are at the plate, and Southern Miss and Rice are on deck. I think that Army, Old Dominion, UAB, and UTEP would be in the hole. Just my guess, but it doesn't look like the Big East will drop down that far in the very near future.

I still think our admin is celebrating the C-USA invite. I honestly don't think Dr. Reneau or Dr. Guice has made any calls to those future Big East schools. I doubt our PowerPoint has even been updated. Dr. Guice has spent his entire career in Ruston so I doubt he has any friends at those schools. After watching the presidential and coaching searches, I don't have confidence in his ability to sell LaTech to the Big East, but I don't hold it against Dr. Guice. The previous admin hasn't given him much to work with. Hopefully I'm totally wrong though, but I haven't seen any evidence to suggest otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by rebelboi View Post
    I'm definitely not saying this. The Big East has to be our goal. We've just got our work cut out for us to achieve the goal. We have to get serious about raising a lot of money and executing major facility improvements.

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

We need a little more movement for a better chance. Maybe Cincinnati and UConn or USF to the ACC.

Champ GrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to all

guess ECU is currently searching for a new AD.
    Tech has one they can give away if ECU is looking....

Puppy Cougar King Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCougar King Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCougar King Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCougar King Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCougar King Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCougar King Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCougar King Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCougar King Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCougar King Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCougar King Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCougar King Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

Us and SMU already blocked Rice. Plus I'm pretty sure Tulane is going to block you guys if they haven't already.

Champ parialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of light

I can think of no reason as to why Tulane should have the influence to blackball anybody.

(On Rice... who knows? I would not think that it is something UH or SMU should want, and UH/SMU are likely to have more influence than Tulane. But Rice has been getting mentioned, and with a conference that invites Tulane, anything is possible.)
    University of Houston '01. Any references to "we" or "us" likely refer to UH. Cheers!

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

We shouldbe focusing our efforts Westward. Should became should have been talking to the MWC all along.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

I hays spell check. I hate that we can't edit in the mobile mode.

+ Reply to Thread