+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Big East considering up to 8 candidates to replace BSU/SDSU

Champ parialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of light

Re: Big East considering up to 8 candidates to replace BSU/SDSU

From a link provided elsewhere by Dawg06:

The influx of new members is to offset the rapid loss of Conference USA teams to the Big East, who will add six Conference USA schools over the next two years. That number could increase in the near future, as the Tulsa World has recently published multiple reports that Conference USA member Tulsa is highly likely to jump to the Big East soon. They'd be joined by Southern Mississippi, who have loudly clamored to exit Conference USA since the start of the conference realignment era, and could be given an option to do so by the Big East.

This is the first I've heard about Southern Miss jumping UMass for the second slot.
    University of Houston '01. Any references to "we" or "us" likely refer to UH. Cheers!

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Not surprising, but still...

WOW!

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Not surprising, but still...

WOW!
    I'm working Midnights this week, what's your excuse?

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Nothing wrong with UTEP, Rice, Marshall, and UAB, but USM and Tulsa are the last two left in CUSA that I really want to see us aligned with and care anything about. If they leave (and I fully expect them to), CUSA will have gone from sexy to total yawner in terms of attractive matchups.... and yes, CUSA is much better than some possibilities we had, much worse than others.

As someone mentioned on another thread, we escaped the SBC, but they came to us anyway...

Champ DawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond repute DawgFaninHous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by parialex View Post
    From a link provided elsewhere by Dawg06:

The influx of new members is to offset the rapid loss of Conference USA teams to the Big East, who will add six Conference USA schools over the next two years. That number could increase in the near future, as the Tulsa World has recently published multiple reports that Conference USA member Tulsa is highly likely to jump to the Big East soon. They'd be joined by Southern Mississippi, who have loudly clamored to exit Conference USA since the start of the conference realignment era, and could be given an option to do so by the Big East.

This is the first I've heard about Southern Miss jumping UMass for the second slot.
    Why couldn't UMass take the 2nd spot and then they add USM, along with their new BFF, La tech???

Wishful thinking, I know!

Champ parialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of light

The more I read about UMass, the more I hope we take a pass period. I think Tulsa and USM are the best options at the moment, but then I want LaTech and Old Dominion. I am hoping the mentions of Rice and UMass are off target.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

The more I read about UMass, the more I hope we take a pass period. I think Tulsa and USM are the best options at the moment, but then I want LaTech and Old Dominion. I am hoping the mentions of Rice and UMass are off target.
    I would think Houston would vote no to Rice, but Tulane might want them. If it waits long enough for Tulsa to have a vote, they may vote Rice, as well. Hoping we have a friend in a LOT of the schools in the new Big East.

I'm honestly not sure where UH stands. I'd think that we wouldn't be big on the idea, especially when there are better candidates around. On the other hand, we play them year in and year out anyway and it would free up an OOC game. I'd think most of the opposition would come from eastern schools. Especially those uninterested in the power dynamics of CUSA with the western private (plus a couple) coalition in a position to make all the decisions.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    I'm working Midnights this week, what's your excuse?
    Getting up to go duck hunting. Got up at 3 instead of 4. As my Dad would say, " I'm give out and tarred".

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Tulsa rumored to be next: http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...evenue-sharing

Quote Originally Posted by CBS Sports
    Tulsa is an attractive candidate inside Big East offices to pair with Navy as a 12th team in 2015, one league source said.
    That statement also suggests that the Big East is looking at a model similar to the Mountain West with 12 football teams and 11 basketball teams.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    Tulsa rumored to be next: http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...evenue-sharing

That statement also suggests that the Big East is looking at a model similar to the Mountain West with 12 football teams and 11 basketball teams.
    Does that mean it would be Tulsa and Navy to the Big East and USM would be staying with us?? If you are of the opinion that Tulsa is leaving anyways than that is good news for us.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    Does that mean it would be Tulsa and Navy to the Big East and USM would be staying with us?? If you are of the opinion that Tulsa is leaving anyways than that is good news for us.
    What I took from it is that CBS Sports confirmed the rumors from a league source that Tulsa is next in line for the Big East.

The Big East will have to add at least one more school before July 1, 2014, to be able to host a conference championship game when Navy joins in 2015. I think it's safe to assume that will happen.

To me, it read like that Florida newspaper was just speculating about Southern Miss. USM may be in line right behind Tulsa, but USM would need another spot to open if the Big East wants to stay at 12 football members. That's if/when the BTN and SECN decide to expand to 16 members.

To me, it read like that Florida newspaper was just speculating about Southern Miss. USM may be in line right behind Tulsa, but USM would need another spot to open if the Big East wants to stay at 12 football members. That's if/when the BTN and SECN decide to expand to 16 members.
    Assuming, of course, that Navy doesn't become the fourth school to leave before joining. I haven't heard much from them one way or the other. Last I heard, it was Gladchuck (their AD, our former AD, good riddance) saying that they were "keeping an eye on things" in a way that did not inspire confidence. And they've always been among the most lukewarm additions. On the other hand, it seems significant that there hasn't already been smoke in that regard.
    University of Houston '01. Any references to "we" or "us" likely refer to UH. Cheers!

Assuming, of course, that Navy doesn't become the fourth school to leave before joining. I haven't heard much from them one way or the other. Last I heard, it was Gladchuck (their AD, our former AD, good riddance) saying that they were "keeping an eye on things" in a way that did not inspire confidence. And they've always been among the most lukewarm additions. On the other hand, it seems significant that there hasn't already been smoke in that regard.
    I've thought the same thing. I originally thought Navy wouldn't end up joining the Big East, but after hearing the Navy AD so outspoken about the Boise State situation, I think Navy is committed to the Big East. I'm thinking that Navy will strongly advocate for Army to join the Big East. With Army, Air Force, and Notre Dame as annual non-conference opponents, Navy only has one OOC opening per year as a member of the future Big East. Also, scheduling for basketball and other sports is so much better with 10 teams. I think 10 full members plus Army and Navy as football-only members is the best model for the Big East. That's why I listed Army in my initial group of eight.

I've thought the same thing. Before I thought Navy wouldn't end up joining the Big East, but after hearing the Navy AD so outspoken about the Boise State situation, I think Navy is committed to the Big East. I'm thinking that Navy will strongly advocate for Army to join the Big East. With Army, Air Force, and Notre Dame as annual non-conference opponents, Navy only has one OOC opening per year as a member of the future Big East. Also, scheduling for basketball and other sports is so much better with 10 teams. I think 10 full members plus Army and Navy as football-only members is the best model for the Big East. That's why I listed Army in my initial group of eight.
    Hmmm. Having looked it up, Gladchuk's comments are more supportive than I remember. You might be right. Army is going to be a tough sell, though. They've been in this conference before, plus or minus a team, and they were already scheduled to leave *before* the realignment spit hit the fan.

Why is 10 teams ideal for basketball scheduling? If 10 is ideal, I might be worried if I were ECU.

+ Reply to Thread