+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big Priest Conference TV deal and expansion

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

Re: Big Priest Conference TV deal and expansion

Common they've gotta stick with the Religious aspect, add Notre Dame for non-fb sports

Champ DawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond repute DawgFaninHous's Avatar

I am in Cincinnati today and had lunch with two big Cincy alumni. They are being told by their guys that Fla State & Va Tech are about to join the Big 10 and they, along with UConn, are slated to get into the ACC in their spots. They are actually fairly confident and are saying that Louisville is helping them to continue the rivalries, especially in bball!

That would be two more spots open in the BE!!!! If we only had a leader to get us into position (and not the bent over kind)!

Champ GrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to all

Goodness I hope FSU does not go to the big ten. I know the money is good... but it would kill our rivalries with uf and/or Miami. And if VT is the closest conference mate, it will just stink all around.

Not worth the cash to go to the B1G.

The big 12 is only worthwhile if we can bring along 3 other ACC teams... but I think they want to only go up to 12.

Big Dog WonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of light WonderDawg's Avatar

GrassyNole, I am not sure this would be bad for FS. The B1G is Big in Florida, not only the snow birds, but the huge B1G retirees in FL mean many supporters. I see as many if not more B1G team caps and bumper stickers as FS. The B1G has its own TV that is more than supported by BrightHouse Network. I would certainly think that the B1G would want to be represented in FL. Just my thoughts.

Champ GrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to all

We get a lot of recruits from south Florida, Georgia, and the Carolinas. No longer playing games there will REALLY hurt recruiting. I have no interest in that at all.

Champ parialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of light

Unless the ACC gets really decimated (and at this point I am not sure they've lost much of anyrhing) I think FSU should be very skeptical about leaving without lots of company.

Champ parialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of light

I'd add that I still haven't seen much enthusiasm by the Big 12 to even get back to 12. I've mostly seen people assuming that of course they'd want to. I also don't see FSU as being at the top of the Big Ten wishlist the same way that they would be for the Big 12 if they were to decide to expand.

From what I have heard the big 12 is ok with bringing FSU + 1 more. But they don't want to go much bigger. FSU doesn't want to go unless we have more regional teams come with us.

How many lost teams before FSU leaves with or without anyone nearby, you think?

Good question. I personally think we would be ok even if we lost GT, UVA, UNC, & Duke. Replace them with UCONN and Cincy and I think that is a stronger conference than the current ACC. Add in the frequent games with ND and I see no reason to leave.

As long as the football schools stay put ( FSU, Miami, CU, VT) I think the ACC can survive. If even one leaves, it will cause the others to blink and cause a mad dash to the big 12.

Champ ChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by WonderDawg View Post
    GrassyNole, I am not sure this would be bad for FS. The B1G is Big in Florida, not only the snow birds, but the huge B1G retirees in FL mean many supporters. I see as many if not more B1G team caps and bumper stickers as FS. The B1G has its own TV that is more than supported by BrightHouse Network. I would certainly think that the B1G would want to be represented in FL. Just my thoughts.
    Makes perfect sense for the B1G to want to have a presence in Florida. I bet there are literally millions of people in Florida that hail from traditional "B1G" states, and for the Big 10 Network (BTN) can you imagine the revenue of all those eyeballs in Ft Myers, Orlando, Tampa/St Pete, and Miami/Ft Lauderdale/WPB...

I think the attendance in Tally won't miss a beat. They may be a little more grey-headed, but a Florida State - WisCANsin matchup will probably sell out as quickly as an FSU-Georgia Tech game...imo

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckK3 View Post
    Makes perfect sense for the B1G to want to have a presence in Florida. I bet there are literally millions of people in Florida that hail from traditional "B1G" states, and for the Big 10 Network (BTN) can you imagine the revenue of all those eyeballs in Ft Myers, Orlando, Tampa/St Pete, and Miami/Ft Lauderdale/WPB...

I think the attendance in Tally won't miss a beat. They may be a little more grey-headed, but a Florida State - WisCANsin matchup will probably sell out as quickly as an FSU-Georgia Tech game...imo
    i know why it makes sense for the Big 10 to want into FL. i just don't think it is worth it for FSU to go to the Big 10. i don't care HOW much money they throw at us. for me there is no best case scenario. assume they invite FSU and UVA to get to 16. knowing how the Big 10 splits their divisions to preserve rivalries you would see divisions something like:

FSU, UVA, Md, Rutgers, Penn State, Nebraska, Iowa, Wisc
    Ohio State, Michigan, Mich State, Minn, NWern, Illinois, Indiana, Purdue

the closest team would be UVA. 830 miles away. for comparison sake Ruston to Las Cruces is 930 miles. and you guys know how bad it stinks to have to travel over a thousand miles just to make a typical road trip. they would have to pay enough to make up for the increase travel cost of having to charter flights for EVERY sport...even money losing sports like women's sand volleyball.

there is some talk of the Big 10 wanting to go to 20 teams. in that case you have 2 separate conferences which just happen to meet in a conf championship game.

South: FSU. GT. UNC. DOOK. MD. RUTGERS. PENN ST. UVA. Purdue. Indiana
    North: ND. OSU. UM. MSU. Illinois. NWern. MINN. IOWA.Wisc. Neb

holy cow...if FSU's SOS was bad this year being in the ACC, that is even worse. basically taking the worst teams of the ACC and Big East. throw in FSU and Penn State and pretend it is a real conference? no thank you. i think the 16 team conference model is better for FSU...but even then FSU sports becomes strictly a made for TV event.

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

No offense, but does FSU have the academic/research credentials to get invited to the B1G? The B1G does seem to pay more attention to that area than the other conferences.

No offense taken. We would be a long shot for that reason. We are not AAU which they look for. (But neither is Nebraska or ND) we are pushing to get that status. I think we do enough research to get AAU. The med school is now 12 years old so that helps. We do excel at science research and have developed several major drugs like Taxol. It is not a given that the big ten would accept that as being worthy, but it is not s laughable goal the way it would be for a school like LSU.

I'm glad someone brought it up, because I didn't want to be rude. Hitman's comment sounds about right (though I would add that Nebraska was a member of the AAU when they were invited into the conference). The academics won't help, and may hurt a little bit, but aren't necessarily a dealbreaker. I do think that with all of the top-flight academic universities in the ACC, picking Florida State does not *seem* like something they would do. Virginia Tech also sounds counter-intuitive to me. UVA a little less so, but in both cases they already have a foothold into the DC market with Maryland. Georgia Tech strikes me as more likely. Unless they're looking at geography, in which case Florida State ceases to make sense.

In other words, I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in that particular rumor.
    University of Houston '01. Any references to "we" or "us" likely refer to UH. Cheers!

+ Reply to Thread