Closed Thread
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Comprehensive Conference Realignment Thread

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Re: Comprehensive Conference Realignment Thread

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    You can draw a direct corralation between what I stated and money. I happen to think it has more to do with not marketing ourselves in the right way to conference officials - more than the money. However, even if you think it is just about money, that goes back to the mindset.
    Well, sure. If we had more fans we'd be more attractive (because we'd have more money and draw bigger ratings, etc.). There are any number of reasons we don't have more fans.

But SMU/Houston/USF/whoever is left in the BE isn't saying to themselves "who gives us the best regional attitude?" they're saying "who adds value in real terms?" They want some combination of market potential and on-field reputation. They've already invited Memphis and Tulane, which should tell you which side of that equation they place the most weight on.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    Well, sure. If we had more fans we'd be more attractive (because we'd have more money and draw bigger ratings, etc.). There are any number of reasons we don't have more fans.

But SMU/Houston/USF/whoever is left in the BE isn't saying to themselves "who gives us the best regional attitude" they're saying "who adds value in real terms." They want some combination of market potential and on-field reputation. They've already invited Memphis and Tulane, which should tell you which side of that equation they place the most weight.
    We have the fans and numbers. We aren't marketed correctly.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post

But SMU/Houston/USF/whoever is left in the BE isn't saying to themselves "who gives us the best regional attitude" they're saying "who adds value in real terms." They want some combination of market potential and on-field reputation. They've already invited Memphis and Tulane, which should tell you which side of that equation they place the most weight.
    Except Tulane wasn't market. Not sure why they picked Tulane. Private with a large endowment, but other than they they offer NOTHING. As I've said before, I believe them picking Tulane was the final straw for the Catholics. Tulane was just a bizarre pick for them.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Except Tulane wasn't market. Not sure why they picked Tulane. Private with a large endowment, but other than they they offer NOTHING. As I've said before, I believe them picking Tulane was the final straw for the Catholics. Tulane was just a bizarre pick for them.
    Picked because they were Catholic and possibly because they have a huge endowment IMHO. Had zero to do with market as Da Big Easy doesn't pay any attention to Tulane anymore. They haven't in at least 2 decades or longer.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    Picked because they were Catholic and possibly because they have a huge endowment IMHO. Had zero to do with market as Da Big Easy doesn't pay any attention to Tulane anymore. They haven't in at least 2 decades or longer.
    Tulane Catholic? Are you serious?

Market has nothing to do with who folks pay attention to. Never has. UNT will now be C-USA's Metroplex team and Middle will be the Nashville team from a market standpoint. It's all about DMA. New Orleans is not a large market and never has been desirable. That's why the market thing doesn't work for them.

Champ parisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond repute parisdog's Avatar

Tulane's not catholic is it?

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

UCF President John Hitt helped Tulane get their Big East invite: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...517,full.story

Hitt texted the commissioner of the Big East about interest from Tulane University in joining the conference. "Scott Cowen at Tulane wants to talk with me about possibilities for Tulane in the Big East. Scott is a friend. Will listen and then call you. John," Hitt wrote to Big East Commissioner Mike Aresco. Aresco responded, "This would be a big one for us, important market, great school academically, and Scott would be in our tent on the BCS revenue share matter we have to deal with as well as other things."

The Greater New Orleans market is untapped by the Big East. It's not a huge market, but it's still a big market. It is a very good market for recruiting. New Orleans hosts 2-3 bowl games per year, and they hosted the Final Four last season. New Orleans is a great place to host NCAA events.

Tulane has invested heavily in their facilities.

- Tulane announced their new $60 million football stadium well after we announced Q4E, and they will have it completed well before we complete our $16 million value engineered end zone project.

- Tulane has completely renovated their basketball fieldhouse with a second phase to be completed before next school year (I'm still looking for a price tag), and we've yet to replace the original TAC scoreboard from 1982 that we were told would be replaced 2 years ago ($1 million?).

- Tulane constructed a brand new basketball and volleyball practice facility, and we just replaced the floor in Memorial Gym.

- Tulane built a brand new $10.5 million baseball stadium in 2008, and we just now doing a $450,000 renovation to our baseball stadium (and we're still $100,000 short).

- Tulane plans to build an Olympic-style village to house their track and field, cross country, tennis, and sand volleyball programs in addition to football practice fields. Our track doesn't even have permanent seating, and our track and field, cross country, and tennis programs don't even have locker rooms. Our plan is to stick those locker rooms and coaching officies in the south end zone of the football field along with our softball and soccer teams.

Tulane has a lot of money, a lot more money than we do.

Since the creation of C-USA in 1995, Tulane has been conference mates with Cincinnati, South Florida, Memphis, Houston, SMU, and UCF. That's everybody except UConn and Temple. We only shared a conference with SMU for a few years.

Also, Tulane boasts AAU membership, which blows all of our academic accomplishments out of the water. No comparison.

Remember, Tulane also had conversations with the Big 12.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

We have the fans and numbers. We aren't marketed correctly.
    Look at the current BE membership.

Look at all the teams invited to CUSA before we were.

It's not just marketing. I agree that we offer more to a conference than many of those schools do. But the ones calling the shots have different priorities.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by parisdog View Post
    Tulane's not catholic is it?
    No I believe it's not but growing up there I always thought is was having the all female university Newcomb next to and associated with Tulane (all male at the time) . Sorry as I was totally wrong.

Tulane Catholic? Are you serious?

Market has nothing to do with who folks pay attention to. Never has. UNT will now be C-USA's Metroplex team and Middle will be the Nashville team from a market standpoint. It's all about DMA. New Orleans is not a large market and never has been desirable. That's why the market thing doesn't work for them.
    Actually it's not. But I always thought it was even growing up in New Orleans with Newcomb (female) and Tulane (male) associated and next door to each other. Sorry!
    Last edited by TYLERTECHSAS; 02-12-2013 at 05:15 PM.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

If you believe USM has a shot to get in you aren't keeping up. USM fans know they have some major housekeeping to do. They have zero chance for at least two years.

We are behind them in the running.
    According to ESPN's Andy Katz, Southern Miss is either No. 3 or No. 4 on the Big East's list.

1. Tulsa
    2. UMass
    3/4. Southern Miss and Rice

There's one Big East spot open right now for Tulsa.

After that, the timing all depends on the Maryland/ACC lawsuit. That's what the Big Ten and SEC are waiting on, and I doubt we'll have to wait 2 more years for that lawsuit to get settled.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    According to ESPN's Andy Katz, Southern Miss is either No. 3 or No. 4 on the Big East's list.

1. Tulsa
    2. UMass
    3/4. Southern Miss and Rice

There's one Big East spot open right now for Tulsa.

After that, the timing all depends on the Maryland/ACC lawsuit. That's what the Big Ten and SEC are waiting on, and I doubt we'll have to wait 2 more years for that lawsuit to get settled.
    UMass is a stupid choice. And, they don't need Rice - they already have Houston. I guess the old CUSA schools are pulling Rice along with them - just like Tulane got the benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    Actually it's not. But I always thought it was even growing up in New Orleans with Newcomb (female) and Tulane (male) associated and next door to each other. Sorry!
    The nickname for Tulane is far from Catholic.

'06 that was a great answer to my "why Tulane?" question. Still doesn't change the fact that they are losers. Traditional losers. One thing I question is the money they have and appear to be committed to spend. Their people have never committed to athletics in the past and don't care about athletics. They don't need athletics. Why are they now spending money they don't really need to spend?

The nickname for Tulane is far from Catholic.

'06 that was a great answer to my "why Tulane?" question. Still doesn't change the fact that they are losers. Traditional losers. One thing I question is the money they have and appear to be committed to spend. Their people have never committed to athletics in the past and don't care about athletics. They don't need athletics. Why are they now spending money they don't really need to spend?
    Tulane has always been about name appeal. They want to be associated with SMU, Tulsa, and eventually Rice. They, also, want separation from any Louisiana school. They take pride in being a top private school. I can't blame them and they have done a good job with the name appeal. They don't don't care as much about athletics as they do about separation. They will do anything to keep it - especially spend.

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

I guess the old CUSA schools are pulling Rice along with them - just like Tulane got the benefit.

Exactly! Which is why I posted somewhere that the CUSA schools seem to be a club. My perception is that they stick together and even if some move up, they look to bring the others up as soon as they can. And because of that, my gut feeling is that Tulsa, Rice, USM, and probably UAB and Marshall have a better chance of going to the BE before we do. Only UTEP seems to be a misfit and is not likely to get pulled up, but then they have, and are better suited for, the MWC. Just my perception of how the CUSA schools look out for each other.

Closed Thread