Closed Thread
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Comprehensive Conference Realignment Thread

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Re: Comprehensive Conference Realignment Thread

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Actually, I'd say it's just about IDENTICAL to where you were previously.
    They get quite a raise from the previous conference. He was being nice when he described it as "mild".

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by counselingdawg View Post
    I know we are'nt a fit and they don't want us, but I think the MWC will do well. It looks stronger than CUSA, Sunbelt, and maybe Big East.
    I agree. But only because all the "best of the rest from the west" share the same conference. In the west, the best non-BCS teams/programs aren't scattered throughout several conferences. Effective 2013, they will all reside in the MWC.

Unlike the MWC, the new Big East doesn't have all the best non-BCS teams and programs east of the Mississippi. Clearly, CUSA has some of the best non-BCS programs, and the Big East definitely has some of the best and worst programs. Just a fact.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    They get quite a raise from the previous conference. He was being nice when he described it as "mild".
    Transitional, transitional, transitional. It's "transitional" money only. And it's got nothing to do with Houston, SMU or Memphis, per se. Rather, those schools will just happen to be sitting in the chairs when the music stops. They'll get a nice revenue bump for a couple of years --from former members' exit fees, leftover NCAA Tournament money, etc....-- and then reality will set in.

It's still hard to believe that all those schools leaving Big East are willing to leave that much money behind.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Transitional, transitional, transitional. It's "transitional" money only. And it's got nothing to do with Houston, SMU or Memphis, per se. Rather, those schools will just happen to be sitting in the chairs when the music stops. They'll get a nice revenue bump for a couple of years --from exit fees, leftover Tournament money, etc....-- and then reality will set in.
    Yeah, they should have just stayed in C-USA, refused the extra millions in "transitional" money, and accepted reality. Nevermind that extra TV revenue. That will eventually come back to what C-USA is getting too right?

Champ parialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of light

Actually, I'd say it's just about IDENTICAL to where were previously.
    Even the worst TV contract estimates are better than what we had.

But I was referring as much as anything to replacing the left-behinds with Cincy, UConn, USF, Temple, and Navy. That's improvement. And if the first two go, then still mild improvement because the other two are better than most of the schools we left and ione of the replacements would likely include the last of the winning teams from the conference we left.

We temporarily have an influx of cash and better bowl bids, and past that still at least a little better than what we had.

This wasn't what we were hoping for, far from it, but better than the status quo.

Addendum: I should correct my initial statement. The perspective I give applies to me, and I think applies to our leadership, but a lot of fans are really, really upset and think that unless we get a better invite we're doomed. But these same people called C*USA by a derogatory moniker, so I'm not even sure they view it as strictly lateral. They thought C*USA would kill us, too. I've only seen a couple people suggest that there is truly no difference. Mostly that it wasn't the improvement we need.
    Last edited by parialex; 02-18-2013 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Added addendum

Champ parialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of light

I know we are'nt a fit and they don't want us, but I think the MWC will do well. It looks stronger than CUSA, Sunbelt, and maybe Big East.
    I still lean towards thinking that UH should have tried to work something out with the MWC (though I am probably missing the bigger picture or overestimating what we might have been able to work out). I think they'll be the beat us out in terms of competition, to be perfectly honest (depending on what the BE looks like), or it'll be really close. It's hard to say what the financials will look like (except for Boise State, which is going to make out very, very well, to the detriment of others).
    University of Houston '01. Any references to "we" or "us" likely refer to UH. Cheers!

Champ GrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to all

I agree. But only because all the "best of the rest from the west" share the same conference. In the west, the best non-BCS teams/programs aren't scattered throughout several conferences. Effective 2013, they will all reside in the MWC.
    *Cough* *Cough* BYU *Cough* *Cough*

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Yeah, they should have just stayed in C-USA, refused the extra millions in "transitional" money, and accepted reality. Nevermind that extra TV revenue. That will eventually come back to what C-USA is getting too right?
    I never said they should stay in CUSA, and I certainly never said they shouldn't accept the "transitional" money. The short term advantages of doing so were duly noted in my previous post. But NONE of this changes the real street value of the non-AQ athletic programs at SMU, Tulane, Houston and Memphis.

These new Big East programs aren't going to suddenly become super valuable commodities simply because they changed the name on their conference door.

SMU football will still draw 12K at home.....and that will look BAD on TV.
    Tulane football will still draw 8K at home......and that will look VERY BAD on TV.
    Memphis will still post 2-10 football records every couple of years, so it will be very tough for TV networks to sell Memphis football to the masses.

And Houston will still be an "up and down" program that has trouble consistently drawing more than 23K.

I have nothing against these programs. But all this talk about huge TV contracts being imminent for these "non-AQ" schools is a pipe dream.

Quote Originally Posted by GrassyNoleHitman View Post
    *Cough* *Cough* BYU *Cough* *Cough*
    Fair enough....I will concede that the new MWC will be missing ONE (1) high quality non-AQ from out west: BYU. But that could change at any moment. Besides, now that Boise St & SDSU are back, I don't think the new MWC will miss BYU at all.

Quote Originally Posted by parialex View Post
    Even the worst TV contract estimates are better than what we had.
    That's not a surprise. Any new TV contract negotiated today is certainly going to be worth more than one that was negotiated 5-10 years ago. The question is, will the new TV contract be marginally better, or will it be MUCH better?

Besides, now that Boise St & SDSU are back, I don't think the new MWC will miss BYU at all.
    Oh, I think that's quite wrong. Boise State helps, but I don't think anything compensates for BYU.

It's kind of neat that they get to have all the top non-AQ teams, but the lack of competition is mostly indicative of a lack of candidates, which is why they were only really able to leave Idaho and NMSU out of the fold. The Big East has some clunkers (I'm still bitter about Tulane), but by-and-large can pick the non-AQ schools it finds most attractive.

Ask me, the *real* strength of the MWC has little to do with all that and more to do with the stability. It's the stability that attracts me to that conference. But mostly, though, preference for one conference or the other depends entirely on geography. UH and SMU would rather be in the BE, and UTEP would rather be in the MWC. I think the MWC is more likely than not to be the more competitive conference in the overall, though the BE is more likely to bring in more money (for schools not named Boise State) for the same reason C*USA did so well in comparison to the WAC (and, in a different way, the MWC).
    University of Houston '01. Any references to "we" or "us" likely refer to UH. Cheers!

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Big Dog counselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of light

My question: Are WE going to be getting more money by being in CUSA?

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

My question: Are WE going to be getting more money by being in CUSA?
    Compared to what we were receving from the WAC, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    Compared to what we were receving from the WAC, yes.
    So, since the Big East will receive $13M TV package for its 10-team FOOTBALL league, that's an average of $1.3M per team. What will CUSA's football teams receive comparatively?

HD

Closed Thread