+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: LHSAA proposal

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Re: LHSAA proposal

Quote Originally Posted by eagle2180 View Post
    I agree! I think the biggest problem is with the small rural public schools trying to compete against the private schools from metro areas. I believe a split for the playoffs will definitely screw things up.Under the current proposal, almost all teams will now qualify for the playoffs. So much for competition. How is a coach supposed to motivate his kids for a regular season game that means absolutely nothing?
    Small rural public schools like Oak Grove and Haynesville?:icon_wink:

Everybody qualifies for the playoffs under the current meaningless system. It needs to be fixed.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Small rural public schools like Oak Grove and Haynesville?:icon_wink:

Everybody qualifies for the playoffs under the current meaningless system. It needs to be fixed.
    If you think everybody qualifies for the playoffs under the current system, just wait until this stupid proposal passes. They want to create two more playoff brackets so everybody really will make the playoffs under these proposed rules. There will be so many playoff spots that they are gonna have to start filling them with junior high teams.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    If you think everybody qualifies for the playoffs under the current system, just wait until this stupid proposal passes. They want to create two more playoff brackets so everybody really will make the playoffs under these proposed rules. There will be so many playoff spots that they are gonna have to start filling them with junior high teams.
    I'm no fan of Kenny Henderson or the LHSAA bureaucracy. The current playoff system is not what it should be. It's boring. I'm also not a big "public school guy" even though my kids go to a public school. Splitting them up will not break what's already broken.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by olddog29 View Post
    While I can appreciate that the majority of those posting are graduates or parents of students in private, parochial, charter, magnet, lab schools - it does not change the fact that each of these types of schools do have the advantage of being able to recruit. maddawg mentions J.C. - who as an example, went and got a player (out of Texas I think) for basketball last year that added enough for them to win the 2A championship against Riverside Academy whose basketball coach goes to France to get players to come play high school basketball. If I am correct, this JC student was picked up by LSU. Dawgpix discussion of Neville is dead on. As some of you know, my son suffered his second torn ACL last basketball season. As we were sitting in Dr. Sal Graves office for a post-op appointment, a "booster" for Neville was bragging about how they were going to be "recruiting 100 student athletes" as soon as they got their charter. I'm sure there are those of you who say that pubic schools do this as well and like me wonder how a kid can not be eligible to play after transferring from Ouachta to West Monroe to play football, but another student that transferred from West Monroe to Ouachita to play basketball can be eligible. Or, how officiating can be so different as to enable Sterlington to quite soundly defeat Natchitoches Central at a neutral site while being defeated by 52 to a Ouachita team that narrowly escaped being defeated by the same Natchitoches Central team - but that's another story.

All this to say that while seperating these schools is a good first step, it will not stop the recruiting issue and will likely not create the "level playing field" most believe. IMO an additional measure should be put in place. If it is revealed that a public school is recruiting, then that school will be forced to play in the "select" division for a period of no less than two years. I can tell you this - the college coaches would love for this to happen so that they had fewer schools they needed to scout. I think that LHSAA would love not to have the same schools competing for the championships every year. I also believe that the businesses around the state championships would also like to see it not be the same schools competing every year. Those teams alumi get use to it and then do not go every year, while the team that is lucky enough to go there once every 20 years or so has everyone in the town excited to go, only to be defeated by those that are recruiting. Unfortunately, these changes come a bit to late as my senior son will no longer be put in this disadvantageous position, though he too was recruited to them but as a family - we turned it down. Thus, it really will not matter to me anymore.
    If the LHSAA pushes this too far, it's going to bite them in the butt. They are going to piss off the South Louisiana Catholic schools, and they will break off to form a Catholic League. That would really hurt the LHSAA. The LHSAA can't afford to do that due to petty jealousy.

Many are lumping all magnet schools into this select category, which is simply not how they have this proposal drawn up. As I mentioned above, Caddo Parish has 10 magnet high schools. Nine of the ten are dual-curriculum schools with a base neighborhood district and smaller magnet program. The one school that is 100% magnet does not play football, basketball, or baseball. All but one public high school in the parish has a magnet program. To my knowledge, Caddo Parish is the only parish in North Louisiana with magnet schools.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/...=2013130119019

According to handouts provided by the LHSAA, Caddo-Bossier schools affected by the proposals are Loyola, Evangel, Calvary and Byrd. The first three schools are private schools, while Byrd is a dual-curriculum school. Like all dual-curriculum schools on the handout, the asterisk by Byrd directs readers to a line saying, “Not sure the school qualifies for select status.”

“It just doesn’t seem to be very well thought out in terms of if we do this, what are the ramifications?” Byrd principal Jerry Badgley said. “Where are the games going to be played? Is there a potential loss of revenue? What if the private schools essentially say we’re going to form our own association, form our own rules and go? I don’t think that’s a good thing.”

In Item 8, dual-curriculum schools “that include at least 33 percent of their enrollment as select admission students who do not live in the designated attendance zone shall also be included as a select admission school.”

“No one seems to be able to say if we pass this, what public schools fall into this select category?” Badgley said. “Is it just one school out of the entire state? Then you have to question it. It doesn’t seem to address the fact that one parish, if not more, has open enrollment in its parish. With a magnet component, you have some academic standards that have to be met. I see a lot of problems.”

To my knowledge, Byrd is the only dual-curriculum school in the state that would be put in the select category. Maybe there are some in South Louisiana. I don't know. If these proposals are really about a schools ability to recruit, all 10 of the dual-curriculum magnet schools have the same advantage of being able to enroll students parish-wide. In fact, Byrd is at a recruiting disadvantage compared to all the other dual-curriculum magnet schools in Caddo Parish because Byrd's math/science magnet program has the highest academic admissions requirements in the parish. They created the arbitrary 33% magnet dual-curriculum number because Byrd was the only school in North Louisiana above that number at 40%.

You also can't put magnet schools in the same category as private schools as far as recruiting goes. Many complain about how private schools recruit across state and parish lines, but magnet (and charter?) schools don't have that luxury.

Each classification would have a non-select playoff bracket, and there would be two select playoff brackets. Select schools in Classes 3A-5A would play in one bracket, while select schools with Class 1A and 2A enrollments would be paired in another bracket.

Should Item 18 pass, those schools (average enrollment 370) would find themselves competing against schools with enrollments of more than 2,000 for state championships.

“We made a decision to play up in 3A under different rules,” Taylor said. “If this new rule passes, we’re playing up with 3A, 4A and 5A teams. We would never have made that decision. At the time we made the decision, Item 18 was not on the table.”

They want 3A select schools with 370 students to compete against schools of similar enrollment for district championships but force them to compete against 5A schools with 2000 students for state championships. And they think that is fair?

So what is all this really about? Recruiting? Yeah right. It's really all about jealousy of schools with stronger athletic programs. Nothing's changed since they forced Evangel down years ago.

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

My biggest question to you, 06, is who wrote the proposal? You act like 33 percent is an arbitrary number. It's not. It's one-third. Unless it was written by a principal or principals in Shreveport, I'm not buying that the select component was meant to only impact Byrd. It's setting a concrete figure that says if more than 1/3 of the students come from outside the attendance zone for a magnet reason, then they have to be considered select.

I do think, however, some other interesting points were raised, specifically about open enrollment. Rapides Parish has complete open enrollment. Any student in the parish can choose prior to his or her ninth grade year to attend whatever school he or she wishes. They then are not allowed to transfer anywhere without sitting out an entire season (or getting a hardship; an example of this would be if a parent transfers to a different school and wants the student to follow). My understanding is these schools would not be considered "select" because the school has no say over whether or not the student can come. The parents and students have the right to choose, and the school essentially has no say.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

One-third or 33% is arbitrary. So is one-fourth or 25%. Any number they pull out of their butt is arbitrary. How did they come up with those numbers? Because there is no system or logical reasoning to pick that specific threshold, it is an arbitrary number. It presumably only affects one school in the entire state. Maybe a couple more?

Name me any other dual-curriculum school with greater than 33% magnet. There's certainly not one in North Louisiana, and nobody's been able to name one in South Louisiana yet. The North Louisiana principals didn't write it, but Captain Shreve, Airline, Parkway, and Haughton (and apparently Benton and Minden) support it because it puts Byrd in another playoff district. That's how they are getting NWLA support for it.

It goes back to my point, how is Byrd any more select than any of the other dual-curriculum schools in Caddo Parish when Byrd's magnet has higher academic standards than the 9 other magnet programs in the parish? Just because Byrd is more popular? What advantage does Byrd's magnet program have over the 9 other magnet programs in Caddo Parish? Every public high school in Caddo Parish can recruit parish-wide except for Northwood, a school that apparently has no interest in recruiting parish-wide. If Northwood wanted a magnet program, they would be allowed to start one.

In addition, there are many magnet students at each school in Caddo Parish who actually live in the neighborhood district but choose to participate in the magnet program. And that counts against the school?

The Caddo Parish magnet system is very similar to the Rapides open enrollment system. Any decent student can go to any high school he wants to in Caddo Parish as long as they meet minimal academic requirements.

Found the list from last year's proposal that was tabled for this year.
    http://lhsaa.org/uploads/forms/pdf/Item_8_FB.pdf
    http://lhsaa.org/uploads/forms/pdf/Item_8_BB.pdf

Select Magnet Schools
    Baton Rouge (non-football)
    Caddo Magnet (Caddo, non-football)
    McDonogh #35
    Eleanor McMain
    Arch. Design Engineering Prep (non-football)
    Haynes Academy
    Thomas Jefferson
    Patrick Tayolor Science/Tech (non-football)

Select Dual Curriculum School
    C.E. Byrd (Caddo)

Non-Select Dual Curriculum Schools
    Captain Shreve (Caddo)
    John Ehret
    Fair Park (Caddo)
    Hammond
    Huntington (Caddo)
    Lafayette
    McKinley
    Northwood (Caddo)
    Pineville
    Scotlandville
    Southwood (Caddo)
    Carroll
    Farmverville
    Glen Oaks
    Opelousas
    Peabody Magnet
    Pine Prairie
    Riverdale
    Ville Platte
    Washington-Marion
    Woodlawn (Caddo)
    Kentwood
    North Caddo (Caddo)
    Booker T. Washington (Caddo)

Now tell me that that 33% figure wasn't made up just to include Byrd. With 40% magnet students, Byrd is the ONLY dual curriculum school in the state with greater than 33% magnet.
    Last edited by Dawg06; 01-24-2013 at 04:36 PM.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Are you saying the entire state is conspiring against Byrd?

Maybe that arbitrary 33% number was just grabbed out of the air, without knowledge or consideration how it might impact any one school, or group of schools. That makes more sense than thinking HS principals have it in for Byrd.

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Are you saying the entire state is conspiring against Byrd?

Maybe that arbitrary 33% number was just grabbed out of the air, without knowledge or consideration how it might impact any one school, or group of schools. That makes more sense than thinking HS principals have it in for Byrd.
    You think they pulled that number out of thin air without any consideration as to which school or schools it might affect? Lol.

I wouldn't say the entire state is conspiring against Byrd. I think it was added to get more NWLA support to pass the select/non-select amendment. I think the NWLA schools are using it as leverage. Politics.

There aren't any private, charter, magnet (with football), or lab schools in North Louisiana that are 5A or 4A. North Louisiana just has dual enrollment and public schools in 4A and 5A. I really don't think it has been an issue in North Louisiana since they knocked Evangel down. There's no way to get rid of West Monroe, but they found a way to push out Byrd with the arbitrary 33% threshold.

People call in to the Tim Fletcher Show every morning complaining about the private schools and Byrd. The Bossier Parish administrators are very vocal about it because they don't have private schools or magnet programs. The Shreve supporters call in to complain about Byrd because the vast majority of Byrd's magnet population comes from Shreve's district. It's pure jealousy.

And it passed.

The so-called "non-select" principals tried to prevent a roll call vote so their name's wouldn't be associated with it, but Vidrine is making them own up to their votes.

They are saying this isn't over yet. The "select" schools are expected to get lawyers and the legislature involved.

Next item on the agenda for the "non-select" schools is to figure out how to get rid of West Monroe and Barbe.

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

You seriously think that ANYONE outside of Shreveport-Bossier cares about Byrd? Your conspiracy talk is absurd. One-third is not an arbitrary figures. Neither is one-fourth, or one-half. 17 percent or 81 percent would be arbitrary figures.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Big Dog olddog29 is a jewel in the rougholddog29 is a jewel in the rougholddog29 is a jewel in the rougholddog29 is a jewel in the rougholddog29 is a jewel in the rougholddog29 is a jewel in the rougholddog29 is a jewel in the rougholddog29 is a jewel in the rougholddog29 is a jewel in the rougholddog29 is a jewel in the rougholddog29 is a jewel in the rough

Easy fix 06, when they are caught they have to play select for a defined period of time. Probably will never happen, but I didn't think this really had a snowballs chance in a Louisiana Summer either. It is definately not over.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

NOLA.com is reporting that the vote passed this morning; 206-119.

This is a bad day for Louisiana high school sports.

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    You seriously think that ANYONE outside of Shreveport-Bossier cares about Byrd? Your conspiracy talk is absurd. One-third is not an arbitrary figures. Neither is one-fourth, or one-half. 17 percent or 81 percent would be arbitrary figures.
    I don't think anybody outside of NWLA cares about Byrd. I listed the NWLA schools that were against Byrd. Byrd hasn't won a state championship in football since 1949.

I said that the arbitrary (yes, arbitrary) percentage was put in there just for Byrd since Byrd is the only one of 25 dual curriculum schools that it affects. There was no reasoning given to the percentage that they chose, therefore arbitrary.

It was all about politics to make sure the proposition passed. They were even cutting deals with class A, B, and C schools which don't even sponsor football to get it passed.

Evangel presented an amendment to classify all dual curriculum schools as "select" schools, and Calvary seconded it. That was probably done on Byrd's behalf, but the amendment failed.
    Last edited by Dawg06; 01-25-2013 at 05:04 PM.

+ Reply to Thread