+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big Ten expansion?

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Re: Big Ten expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by StrayDawg View Post
    I agree that it's probably a wash. I think they are only doing this because of fan backlash. Wasn't it Michigan that had a bunch of fans boycott a game this year when they played an FCS opponent? Maybe it was Ohio State. Anyway, that happened a few times this season and I'm sure they took notice. Probably not a huge impact either way, but inudesu is right that they will be forced to play FBS Non-AQ, rather than FCS, so that might result in a few more dollars.
    Inudesu is right. For you engineering types, it's called "Supply and Demand". :icon_wink: With fewer teams chasing those "big payday" dollars, it'll drive the cost of these games up pretty dramatically. Furthermore, the Big Ten just made it more difficult for its bottom tier teams to get bowl qualified by adding a 9th conference game. Traditionally, these lower tier teams feasted on FCS and non-AQ schools to get 6 wins. But it will be tougher now.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Champ RougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond repute RougeDawg's Avatar

NLU just announced four home games for the 2014 season in Wisconsin, Illinois, Pennsylvania, and Michigan.

Champ GrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to all

Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg View Post
    NLU just announced four home games for the 2014 season in Wisconsin, Illinois, Pennsylvania, and Michigan.
    you aren't making any sense. the B1G just announced that it won't play 1AA teams anymore. ;-)

Champ GrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to all

great interview from Gerry Dinardo of the Big Ten Network talking about expansion.

http://www.offtackleempire.com/2013/...ig-ten-network
    http://www.offtackleempire.com/2013/...dinardo-part-2

I don't think we'll ever play with a 14 team team conference, I think it'll be 16 (by 2014, when Maryland and Rutgers join). And I don't think they're going to go through all this conversation and all this realignment and do it again for just two more schools. Where are they going to come from? Hard to say, but I would guess the footprint would continue to grow southeast, so that would leave me to believe that would be the ACC.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

A North Carolina judge denied Maryland's motion to drop the suit filed by the ACC. This is definitely not the end, but it is a setback for Maryland and other schools trying to move.

www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/tracking-the-terps/bal-north-carolina-judge-refuses-to-dismiss-acc-suit-vs-maryland-20130218,0,5372429.story

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StrayDawg View Post
    A North Carolina judge denied Maryland's motion to drop the suit filed by the ACC. This is definitely not the end, but it is a setback for Maryland and other schools trying to move.

www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/tracking-the-terps/bal-north-carolina-judge-refuses-to-dismiss-acc-suit-vs-maryland-20130218,0,5372429.story
    Motion to Dismiss - Hourly attorneys file those things to run up their bills. They don't expect to win them. ;-)
    It's time to close the doors to the Temple of Janus.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

From the guy who broke the Maryland and Rutgers to the Big Ten story...

Jeff Ermann ‏@insidemdsports
    Big 10 talk buzzing again. #UVA being mentioned often as likely to join. Georgia Tech still in the mix. #UNC, the big domino, has an offer.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

So all the early talk about UNC and Duke being joined at the hip was just talk?

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    So all the early talk about UNC and Duke being joined at the hip was just talk?
    I don't recall anybody reputable saying that they are joined at the hip.

I think the Big Ten's problem with UNC was their academic cheating scandal. I think that's why Georgia Tech has been rumored instead (along with the Atlanta market). I think UNC's problems with the SEC are that they think they are too good for the SEC academically and that the SEC doesn't value basketball. Make no mistake, the Slive would love UNC over NC State.

Just like every other conference invite, if UNC chooses not to accept it, another school from their conference would take their spot (Georgia Tech), and that would leave them behind in a weaker conference with a lot less money. Schools have to look out for their own interests. That's why nobody stays behind.

Nobody wants Duke, and that's probably why Coack K made those remarks about Maryland. He knows the ACC is becoming the Big East, and they aren't getting invited to a better conference.

Champ parialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of light

Maybe. Though if they already have an offer but haven't taken it, maybe not.

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    I don't recall anybody reputable saying that they are joined at the hip.

I think the Big Ten's problem with UNC was their academic cheating scandal. I think that's why Georgia Tech has been rumored instead (along with the Atlanta market). I think UNC's problems with the SEC are that they think they are too good for the SEC academically and that the SEC doesn't value basketball. Make no mistake, the Slive would love UNC over NC State.

Just like every other conference invite, if UNC chooses not to accept it, another school from their conference would take their spot (Georgia Tech), and that would leave them behind in a weaker conference with a lot less money. Schools have to look out for their own interests. That's why nobody stays behind.

Nobody wants Duke, and that's probably why Coack K made those remarks about Maryland. He knows the ACC is becoming the Big East, and they aren't getting invited to a better conference.
    He was amazingly bitter before and after the game. I am not a fan, but I have a feeling a lot of people that do like him were surprised by his total lack of class.

+ Reply to Thread