+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mountain West discussion

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Mountain West discussion

https://twitter.com/TheMWC

The MW will host their inaugural championship game on Saturday, December 7, 2013.

The highest-ranked BCS division champion will will host the MW Championship Game.

Mountain Division
    Air Force
    Boise State
    Colorado State
    New Mexico
    Utah State
    Wyoming

West Division
    Fresno State
    Hawai'i
    Nevada
    San Diego State
    San Jose State
    UNLV

No divisions for basketball. Teams will play an 18-game conference schedule.

Champ parialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of light

Re: Mountain West discussion

I'm surprised Boise was okay with that.That means slightly less than annual trips to California.

Champ ChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond repute

That's a nice lineup of teams. I don't care who you are.

2005 & 2006 Pick 'Em Champion oledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant future oledawg66's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckK3 View Post
    That's a nice lineup of teams. I don't care who you are.

Yep. And we have been conference mates with 7 of em.

Champ RougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond repute RougeDawg's Avatar

Utah State and San Jose State made out like bandits! Realignment was VERY good to them.

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg View Post
    Utah State and San Jose State made out like bandits! Realignment was VERY good to them.
    Aint that the truth. From out in the cold to inside by the nice cozy fire. The Mountain West is a fine conference.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by olddog75 View Post
    Aint that the truth. From out in the cold to inside by the nice cozy fire. The Mountain West is a fine conference.
    USU decided to invest in football at the perfect time. That along with SOLID basketball and the state of Utah made them an easy pick.

San Jose just fell back in it. They got nothing other than San Jose.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by parialex View Post
    I'm surprised Boise was okay with that.That means slightly less than annual trips to California.
    Supposedly Boise wanted to be in the West, and the MWC has told them to play in the East (Mountain) for one year, then they can move. I'm not sure if that means that they plan on adding more teams, or if they are waiting to see if BYU will come back.

Champ parialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of light

If true...

I guess theoretically they could just add a single team and have 7 in the west and 6 in the mountain. And UTEP is ready and willing if BYU isn't. Other than that, maybe they are very confident that the Big East is about to get decimated and there may be some significant interest from Houston, SMU, Tulsa, etc. (Or, absent that interest, they plan to pitch other eastern schools when and if that door is closed off?)
    University of Houston '01. Any references to "we" or "us" likely refer to UH. Cheers!

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

That is a great non-AQ conference, wish we were in their footprint.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by parialex View Post
    If true...

I guess theoretically they could just add a single team and have 7 in the west and 6 in the mountain. And UTEP is ready and willing if BYU isn't. Other than that, maybe they are very confident that the Big East is about to get decimated and there may be some significant interest from Houston, SMU, Tulsa, etc. (Or, absent that interest, they plan to pitch other eastern schools when and if that door is closed off?)
    Everybody in the MWC is really worried about basketball right now. Part of that is because it is basketball season, and part is because there are several teams in the Mountain West that have good b-ball teams every year. The concern on sports radio yesterday was how would the basketball divisions be set up, since Hawaii is a football-only member. One thought is that BYU might come back next year in everything but football, which would also give them 12-team conference in basketball. But, I don't think that will happen. The MWC is in a much better position to dictate the action than they were a year ago. They can tell BYU to come back as all or nothing, and I think that is what they will do.

In the past, the MWC has been happy to sit still with fewer teams than other conferences. For several years they only had 9 football teams. My feeling is that they will probably stay right where they are for now and see what happens with the Big East. If it falls apart, then they might grab someone. If not, they have a good conference just the way they are.

A year from now, nobody knows what is going to happen, but it will probably depend on BYU. If they get BYU back, then maybe they make Hawaii an all sports member and add one other school (Tulsa? Houston?). Maybe they try to go to 16. Who knows? The one thing we all know is that basketball isn't driving this bus.

Interesting analysis. Very much along the lines of what I had been thinking, though that doesn't get Boise in the west division.

Also, seems to me that if the MWC wants another basketball school and BYU is a no go, then Seattle or Denver is better at rounding it out than is inviting Hawaii for other sports.

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...mpionship-game

This conference looks good...I hope they do well except when they play C-USA
    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”
    Lou Holtz - Football Coach

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

"Bring back the rotary phone so we don't have to press 1 for English."
    www.casadice.com

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

I hate several of those teams. I hope the stink it up every year.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    I hate several of those teams. I hope the stink it up every year.
    I hope they stink it up every year, too. It appears the new playoff system will toss bread crumbs to the Group of Five like the BCS did. Half of the Group of Five distribution will be determined by performance metrics. If the MW does well, then they'll likely get more shares than C-USA. If the MW stinks, then C-USA will likely get more shares than the MW. Gotta know your enemies, and never wish your enemies well.

+ Reply to Thread