+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts about Tech

Puppy Badgerman is an unknown

Re: Thoughts about Tech

Thanks everyone for the great comments! We moved to a small community in central WI four years ago from the northeast.

Although I grew up in upstate NY, my mother is from Nashville and I have relatives in the south so I don't have the misperceptions that a lot of northerners have. I haven't been to Ruston before, but I have been to New Orleans many times and have been to Lafayette twice, once of Mardis Gras and once for the International Music Festival. I've enjoyed my visits to the great state of Louisiana as well as visits to GA, AL, and MS. I hope to move to the south for retirement, if not sooner.

We will likely visit the first week of April when my son in on spring break. We can't wait to see the campus!

Puppy Junk Yard Dawg is a jewel in the roughJunk Yard Dawg is a jewel in the roughJunk Yard Dawg is a jewel in the roughJunk Yard Dawg is a jewel in the roughJunk Yard Dawg is a jewel in the roughJunk Yard Dawg is a jewel in the roughJunk Yard Dawg is a jewel in the roughJunk Yard Dawg is a jewel in the roughJunk Yard Dawg is a jewel in the roughJunk Yard Dawg is a jewel in the roughJunk Yard Dawg is a jewel in the rough

I went to Tech in 1970 with business major and law school option. Graduated from law school and still in active practice after 38 years. I loved Tech then and now. Park RV at football games and drive 240 miles round trip to basketball and baseball games. Point is not about me but what a great school experience can mean for a lifetime. Enjoy Tech and Ruston while at school and you can enjoy it after school for the rest of your life. It is a special place like none other. Go Dawgs!

Champ Dawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond repute Dawgonit's Avatar

Tech is great. The one piece of advice I give to new students is to get involved with organizations, Greek Life, SGA, Band of Pride, Union Board, anything. Tech and Ruston become much better when you make connections through these organizations.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Junk Yard Dawg View Post
    Enjoy Tech and Ruston while at school and you can enjoy it after school for the rest of your life. It is a special place like none other. Go Dawgs!
    Well said.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Badgerman View Post
    Thanks everyone for the great comments! We moved to a small community in central WI four years ago from the northeast.

Although I grew up in upstate NY, my mother is from Nashville and I have relatives in the south so I don't have the misperceptions that a lot of northerners have. I haven't been to Ruston before, but I have been to New Orleans many times and have been to Lafayette twice, once of Mardis Gras and once for the International Music Festival. I've enjoyed my visits to the great state of Louisiana as well as visits to GA, AL, and MS. I hope to move to the south for retirement, if not sooner.

We will likely visit the first week of April when my son in on spring break. We can't wait to see the campus!
    Ruston is nothing like New Orleans or Lafayette, although many who live here want to think they are. Ruston and Tech are great communities both individually and collectively with friendly people who are quick to help and eager to be an active part of your life making you feel like family.

Can anyone comment on the strength of the CS program?

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Got some friends in here. Seems to be pretty good from what I hear...maybe not Top 50 or anything but we're definitely competitive. I'd recommend looking into the cyberengineering program as well - a good number of kids join CS but what they're really interested in is CE, just a thought.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian96 View Post
    I turned down a scholarship to UGA to attend Tech in 1993, and loved it so much I went back for my doctorate in 2005. The Presidential Scholarship is an excellent deal. My dad went to Tech in the 70s because at the time it was one of only about 3 schools with a CS program.

What I liked most about the university is that it is small enough that you get a private school feel: smaller class sizes, accessible faculty, etc. That said, many of our faculty--including in CS--are involved in some pretty cool stuff. One of our former posters, CChandler, did his BS and PhD at Tech in CS and was involved in some really neat stuff (e.g., supercomputer at Los Alamos). He doesn't post here anymore, but maybe somebody can tell you how to get in touch with him. Your son will get a really solid education here, and with the Presidential Scholarship, you can't beat the value.

The town is small and quaint. Decent entertainment options within driving distance.

The downsides are that we are small, and so are our endowments, which artificially limits some of our capability. (The flip side of this is that our professors actually teach, since they don't spend as much time as their counterparts at better-funded schools wrapped up exclusively in research.) The school--and the town--tends to be very insular, which puts off some people and at the least takes some getting used to. (If you are from, say, Chicago "midwest" this would be really off-putting, but if you are from, say, small-town Nebraska or Iowa "midwest" you'll find it comparable to home, just without the snow.) Our athletics are frustrating, to say the least, because we will get enough momentum to feel like greatness is just around the corner, and then soemthing will happen (often self-inflicted) and set us back 10 years.
    See my earlier post for a little info re: the CS program.

Puppy futuretechdad? is on top of his/her gamefuturetechdad? is on top of his/her gamefuturetechdad? is on top of his/her gamefuturetechdad? is on top of his/her gamefuturetechdad? is on top of his/her gamefuturetechdad? is on top of his/her gamefuturetechdad? is on top of his/her gamefuturetechdad? is on top of his/her gamefuturetechdad? is on top of his/her gamefuturetechdad? is on top of his/her gamefuturetechdad? is on top of his/her game

Badgerman, let me know if you received my pm. I don't think chrome likes the board, guess I should have used internet explorer.

Got it. Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread