+ Reply to Thread

Thread: J. Howard Reynolds, former band director - RIP

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

J. Howard Reynolds, former band director - RIP

Don't know if this should be on this forum but our old band director died. He took the band from 36 members in 1962 to over 150 back in the late sixties. He always had enthusiasm and so did his bands.

Varsity Bulldog TDAWG is a jewel in the roughTDAWG is a jewel in the roughTDAWG is a jewel in the roughTDAWG is a jewel in the roughTDAWG is a jewel in the roughTDAWG is a jewel in the roughTDAWG is a jewel in the roughTDAWG is a jewel in the roughTDAWG is a jewel in the roughTDAWG is a jewel in the roughTDAWG is a jewel in the rough TDAWG's Avatar

Re: J. Howard Reynolds

Do you have a link to an obituary? I was in his band for my Sophomore and Junior years at Tech.
    TDAWG

Champ DQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to behold

My wife says he wrote the Tech fight song back then.

Bulldog LaTechBulldog75 seems to have something between the earsLaTechBulldog75 seems to have something between the earsLaTechBulldog75 seems to have something between the earsLaTechBulldog75 seems to have something between the earsLaTechBulldog75 seems to have something between the earsLaTechBulldog75 seems to have something between the ears LaTechBulldog75's Avatar

Here is the obit. for Jimmie Howard Reynolds. I was also in the band starting my freshman year fall of 1968 while he was director.

Jimmie Howard Reynolds died on Saturday, January 19, in Shreveport,
    Louisiana at the age of 87. Jimmie was born in Wichita, Kansas on February
    19, 1925 to Charles Franklin Cracraft and Orpha Edith Howard. His father
    died when he was 2 years old and he was later adopted by his stepfather,
    John McCormack Reynolds. Jimmie grew up in Shreveport, Louisiana and
    received degrees in Music from Louisiana State University and the
    University of Michigan. After teaching in public schools in Florida,
    Mississippi and Louisiana, he served as Director of Bands at
    Peabody/Vanderbilt University, Director of Bands and Head of the
    Department of Music at Louisiana Tech University and Director of Bands at
    Iowa State University. From 1980 to 1985 he was Director of Youth Music
    for the Municipality of Jerusalem, resident conductor of the Israel National
    Youth Band, and Music Consultant for The Rothschild Foundation, Israel.
    He also taught courses in Music Education at Tel Aviv University and the
    Reuben Academy of Jerusalem. Reynolds was a past president of the
    Southern Division of the College Band Directors National Association and
    member of many other national and regional band associations. He served
    honorably in the United States Navy as a Lieutenant JG.
    As a lifelong educator spending much of the 1950’s and 60’s in the Deep
    South, he held a firm belief in the work of the Civil Rights movement often
    taking stands that put him at odds with the political and social climate of the
    times. He instilled in his five children the value of all people regardless of
    race, religion, ethnicity or economic status. He had a deep appreciation for
    great music and was an enthusiast of amateur radio.
    Jimmie is survived by his children, Jonathan Reynolds, Christin Fagan,
    Patrick Reynolds, Lauren Rea, Daniel Shlomo Reynolds and his three
    grandchildren, Thomas Fagan, Brendan Rea and Katherine Rea. He is also
    survived by his wife, Arlene Burney. A private memorial service will be
    held at a later date in Wichita, Kansas.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Re: J. Howard Reynolds, former band director - RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    Don't know if this should be on this forum but our old band director died. He took the band from 36 members in 1962 to over 150 back in the late sixties. He always had enthusiasm and so did his bands.
    Updated thread title.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Here is a link from the Shreveport Times obituary, with a picture.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/shr...&pid=162733864

Champ dawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to behold dawgs1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StrayDawg View Post
    Here is a link from the Shreveport Times obituary, with a picture.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/shr...&pid=162733864

After reading his obiturary & seeing what other institutions (LSU, Michigan & Navy) do we need to get on board. It is a service to our former students & friends to publish this kind of material so that we can all keep up with our fellow instructors/almuni/benfactors/students & friends. He sounds like a great person (high character) that was enthralled & passionate about his job/career. Wished I would have met him.

Puppy Saildawg has turned a few heads around hereSaildawg has turned a few heads around here

Dr. Reynolds definitely made a lasting impression on you, very intense and focused! I had the upmost respect for him and I always considered it an honor to have had the opportunity to know him and play for him. It was a magical time to have been at TECH with Dr. Reynolds leading the music program and Dr. Taylor leading the University!!!

Champ dawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to behold dawgs1's Avatar

I know his memorial service in Wichita is private but I would think that LA Tech (university/band) would attemp to honor him in some way. Probably playing in Shreveport would be the best way.

Puppy greggrambling is a jewel in the roughgreggrambling is a jewel in the roughgreggrambling is a jewel in the roughgreggrambling is a jewel in the roughgreggrambling is a jewel in the roughgreggrambling is a jewel in the roughgreggrambling is a jewel in the roughgreggrambling is a jewel in the roughgreggrambling is a jewel in the roughgreggrambling is a jewel in the roughgreggrambling is a jewel in the rough greggrambling's Avatar

I knew Jimmie Reynolds for MANY years. My dad was a band director in North Louisiana from 1947 until about 1977 so I became acquainted with Mr. Reynolds pretty early through Band Camp, All-xx bands, and other assorted ensembles. I played bassoon which was also his major instrument so whenever sectional rehearsal was involved in an event, he got to deal with me. When I saw the thread the first thing I said was that he must be pretty old. My dad made it to 86 and Jimmie hit 87 but lived six years longer. There were many outstanding directors who produced many outstanding bands in Louisiana in those days. I long for those bands. People from that era should look up their high school/college band directors if they can find them, make a visit, and just tell them thanks. Tell them they made a difference and do it before it's too late. Jimmie Reynolds will be missed.

Champ OLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    I remember 1961 - as you said, about 40 band members in those "Salvation Army"(what we frosh called 'em) uniforms sprinkled with ROTC blue. From the band of humiliation onward toward "The Band of Pride." Thanks Mr. Reynolds.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by OLDBLUE View Post
    I remember 1961 - as you said, about 40 band members in those "Salvation Army"(what we frosh called 'em) uniforms sprinkled with ROTC blue. From the band of humiliation onward toward "The Band of Pride." Thanks Mr. Reynolds.
    I remember 36 because they called themselves the "Fighting 36" and one of the majorettes my freshman year (would have been a freshman in the 36) had a little 36" pin she wore on her uniform. We joked that it was her bust size, which wasn't far off.

Champ OLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond repute

One of my roommates (we had 3 to a room in Thatcher) was one of the ROTC "inserts."

+ Reply to Thread