+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Big East gets a lowball offer from NBCSports

Champ GrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to all

Big East gets a lowball offer from NBCSports

https://twitter.com/McMurphyESPN/sta...19947639746560

NBC Sports Network offers Big East $20M-$23M/year for media rights, sources tell@ESPN

that comes to less than $2 mil/year for each team if they go to 12. Cincy, and UCONN would actually make more playing in the Big Priest and going independent in football. in fact, it appears to be only a little bit more than the $1.5 mil/year that CUSA teams will get. wonder if Tulsa will want to jump up to be the 12th team. doesn't CUSA have a 5 mil buyout to leave? it would take 10 years to make that up...

http://www.minerrush.com/2012/5/18/3027484/conference-usa-a-little-stronger-with-old-dominion

Champ parialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of light

Re: Big East gets a lowball offer from NBCSports

Tulsa will jump for cultural reasons even if the money is neutral. Southern Miss is a tougher question, but I think they would for historical reasons. If they can raise the upfront money.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by parialex View Post
    Tulsa will jump for cultural reasons even if the money is neutral. Southern Miss is a tougher question, but I think they would for historical reasons. If they can raise the upfront money.
    I think you are just wishing now Parialex. This makes Tulsa's decision much tougher IMHO.
    Last edited by TYLERTECHSAS; 02-09-2013 at 09:44 PM.

Champ rebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond repute rebelboi's Avatar

They may look at it, but financially it wouldn't be wise when you consider how long it would take to make the money back with nBE money and that's before UCONN & Cincy (probably) leave. At that point I don't see Navy wanting to come over anymore

Champ parialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of light

I've been waiting for Navy to back out. I've been thinking it likely, but they haven't yet. I would be far less surprised if they back out than if Tulsa and/or USM defer.

Tulsa has been pretty vocal about wanting to be with SMU and Tulane. I don't think that's changed. USM has a lot of history with the schools that left, and history with few of the remaining C*USA members. If they can afford it, I believe they go, too. But that's a tougher call, in part because they're more financially hard-up.

(Also worth mentioning is that the BE is sitting on a lot of exit money right now. If exit fees come between BE and a school they want on board, that's only a problem if the conference chooses for it to be. If the BE stays at a number below 12, that'll be a bad sign, in my view. It means either that I am wrong and they couldn't convince Tulsa or USM to join and/or they are hoarding the money between themselves and not thinking appropriately about the conference's future.)
    Last edited by parialex; 02-09-2013 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Added parenthetical paragraph.
    University of Houston '01. Any references to "we" or "us" likely refer to UH. Cheers!

Champ rebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond repute rebelboi's Avatar

I've been waiting for Navy to back out. I've been thinking it likely, but they haven't yet. I would be far less surprised if they back out than if Tulsa and/or USM defer.

Tulsa has been pretty vocal about wanting to be with SMU and Tulane. I don't think that's changed. USM has a lot of history with the schools that left, and history with few of the remaining C*USA members. If they can afford it, I believe they go, too. But that's a tougher call, in part because they're more financially hard-up.
    if Tulsa wants to play those schools so much then do it out of conference

So that they can play MTSU North Texas, and UTSA in-conference? The Big East guarantees them access to more of the games they do want, and prevents them from having as many games that they don't particularly want. It's not just those two: Houston, Memphis, and UCF. The only school in C*USA I think they'd miss is Rice.
    University of Houston '01. Any references to "we" or "us" likely refer to UH. Cheers!

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

So that they can play MTSU North Texas, and UTSA in-conference? The Big East guarantees them access to more of the games they do want, and prevents them from having as many games that they don't particularly want. It's not just those two: Houston, Memphis, and UCF. The only school in C*USA I think they'd miss is Rice.
    I think Southern Miss would like for us to be in their conference, as well. Lot of history there - maybe more than the recent CUSA defections. I can understand the N. Texas, MTSU, and UTSA problem, though. Houston and the other defections should invite N. Texas, MTSU, and UTSA to the Big East and, then, come back. Pull the big con.......

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

I was told by what I consider a good source that Tulsa is as good as gone from C-USA.

USM would love to be out of C-USA too, but I don't see any way they can straighten up the financial mess they are in. They need winning AND money to make up for lack of market.

The Big East is NOT going away and we don't have a chance of getting in.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    I was told by what I consider a good source that Tulsa is as good as gone from C-USA.

USM would love to be out of C-USA too, but I don't see any way they can straighten up the financial mess they are in. They need winning AND money to make up for lack of market.

The Big East is NOT going away and we don't have a chance of getting in.
    That's the spirit!!!!!!!!!!!

Champ GrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to all

Conference USA (now known as the Big East) and the WAC (now known as CUSA) will both survive. neither conference will challenge the SEC, but both will live. The Little East is still the slightly better conference, but it is not significantly better than the future CUSA. in the areas that they share markets, the BE has the better programs with 2 exceptions. Tech > Tulane and Charlotte > ECU. (Houston > Rice, SMU>UNT, UCF+USF>F_U). Memphis and MTSU is actually debatable about which is better (football MTSU gets the edge, bb traditional goes to Memphis but this year Middle has the better RPI).

for traditional rivalries i can see Tulsa wanting in the Big East. but they have to ask what are they willing to pay to make that happen...

Charlotte over ECU?

The way I see it is that the BE has four of the six division/conference winners in recent CUSA history and CUSA has two. Tulsa would make that one and five. I don't think the incoming schools really comecclose to compensating for that.

Charlotte over ECU?
    from my perspective, yes. better basketball than ECU. Neither of them have a football program that draws any eyeballs more than 10 miles from campus.

Quote Originally Posted by GrassyNoleHitman View Post
    from my perspective, yes. better basketball than ECU. Neither of them have a football program that draws any eyeballs more than 10 miles from campus.
    Which is exactly what we offer over either one.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    Which is exactly what we offer over either one.
    Maybe Dr. Guice can "change our culture".

It's been painfully obvious for over 10 years that the former C-USA teams now in the BE don't want to be associated with us. D.R. has never cared as long has we stay one step ahead of LaMon and LaLaff.

+ Reply to Thread