+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kelia Shelton dismissed from team

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Re: Kelia Shelton dismissed from team

Quote Originally Posted by philgarris View Post
    What other programs has won National Championships or been to the Final 4, Elite 8, Sweet 16 as many times?
    We got WAY more national respect and attention with a loss in football to Texas A&M last season than any of those things you mentioned.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Champ philgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her game

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    We got WAY more national respect and attention with a loss in football to Texas A&M last season than any of those things you mentioned.
    In the history of the school it is the most successful program that the school has EVER had. No debating it that is just the facts, that is not a slam to other sports it just is what it is.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    I don't think so...
    Ditto.

It's sad that the WBB team has fallen on hard times, but RhythmDawg is right. It was inevitable. It's also sad that a program that was once an absolute powerhouse of women's basketball has let the sport pass them by. Being recognized as great in WBB was nice for our school, but it was not our crowning achievement. It was one of many great traditions.

I've said this many times before, but we pretty much backed into being a top tier program in WBB. Sure, F Jay had great vision to get us in on the action early, but it was pure luck that such an amazing coach was sitting literally in Tech's back yard. We were able to have a lot of success early, when success could be gotten on the cheap. Then, WBB got sucked into the arms race that had long been infecting football. There was simply no way we could keep up with that. Sure, if Kim had stayed the fall from grace would have probably been a little slower, but it was bound to happen. WBB, like the rest of college sports, is mostly about who has the shiniest toys.

It's sad, but calling for the sacking of the entire staff and team is irresponsible.

Champ philgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her game

Quote Originally Posted by Brian96 View Post
    Ditto.

It's sad that the WBB team has fallen on hard times, but RhythmDawg is right. It was inevitable. It's also sad that a program that was once an absolute powerhouse of women's basketball has let the sport pass them by. Being recognized as great in WBB was nice for our school, but it was not our crowning achievement. It was one of many great traditions.

I've said this many times before, but we pretty much backed into being a top tier program in WBB. Sure, F Jay had great vision to get us in on the action early, but it was pure luck that such an amazing coach was sitting literally in Tech's back yard. We were able to have a lot of success early, when success could be gotten on the cheap. Then, WBB got sucked into the arms race that had long been infecting football. There was simply no way we could keep up with that. Sure, if Kim had stayed the fall from grace would have probably been a little slower, but it was bound to happen. WBB, like the rest of college sports, is mostly about who has the shiniest toys.

It's sad, but calling for the sacking of the entire staff and team is irresponsible.
    agree to disagree

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian96 View Post
    Ditto.

Spot on, couldnt have said it better and more diplomatically than that. The arms race affects all sports as even the second tier sports get to take advantage of the bounty. Not saying we cant be competitive and do well, but you have to be nearly flawless in your coaching hires to keep momentum. Tech obviously has made some fair to bad hires in WBB, and we have paid the price. Football and MBB have made some solid hires over the last half decade and it has brought both programs back to a better place.

Champ fanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the rough

WBB headlines of the week:
    Griner dunks, nets 50
    ND beats UCONN in Triple OT
    Techsters seek to avoid first losing season, suspend player

Whether or not the Techsters end +1 or -1 in the win/lose column, this is a losing season. None of the hype, none of the predictions, none of the statements about how talented the team is, and none of the seemingly endless use of exclamation points by the "positive" posters on this forum can change the facts of the season. This has been a disaster, and should a March miracle happen and the Techsters win the WAC tourney, I will stand by my opinion that change is needed in the leadership of the team. I did not have expectations of a top 25 appearance for the program. I didn't even have an expectation that they would make it back to the tournament. That said, I (and others) could not have imagined how bad it would be this year. The staff has failed.

Bulldog Tech62 is a jewel in the roughTech62 is a jewel in the roughTech62 is a jewel in the roughTech62 is a jewel in the roughTech62 is a jewel in the roughTech62 is a jewel in the roughTech62 is a jewel in the roughTech62 is a jewel in the roughTech62 is a jewel in the roughTech62 is a jewel in the roughTech62 is a jewel in the rough

Yes, the Lady Techsters, more than any other sport, put Louisiana Tech on the map. My career working for a national corporation took me from coast to coast in a job that required a great deal of personal interface. Sports talk was always a favorite topic. The mere mention of Louisiana Tech usually prompted a discussion of the Lady Techsters. Anyone who talked sports was familiar with the program. Even today, so far removed from those glory days, those who love sports and particularly basketball, still remember. Terry Bradshaw has done the same for Tech as a sports personality, but there has been no particular association between Tech and college football on the national consiousness as with the Lady Techsters in WBB in their day. Are we handling the collapse well? No. It hurts deep down in the gut. What do we do...my opinion...when you have reached the bottom of the barrell, you clean it out and start over recognizing you might not ever produce the same magic recipe achieved the first time.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Men's football is the bastion and cornerstone of Tech Athletics -
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar

Last time I looked football has two national titles and how many HOF's?

And I'm a mbb guy

Champ RhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond repute RhythmDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tech62 View Post
    What do we do...my opinion...when you have reached the bottom of the barrell, you clean it out and start over recognizing you might not ever produce the same magic recipe achieved the first time.
    Our competitors are cooking in Kitchen Stadium. We are using a campfire and we don't have Bobby Flay. It won't do us much good to throw out all our ingredients, and only rarely will we be able to get better ingredients and produce an equal quality product.

That's the most fun I've had posting in a while.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Nobody (except maybe Champ110) expects the Lady Techsters to be a Top 25 program anymore. Not being in the Top 25 is now how we judge this program. The expectations are now to win conference championships and to put a winning product on the floor.

While the arms race of college athletics doomed the Lady Techsters, there is no excuse for the Lady Techsters to be as pitiful as they are now. There are numerous programs with fewer resources than the Lady Techsters that have passed us by.

The Lady Techsters have an RPI of 189. We are now in the bottom half of Division I WBB. That's unacceptable.

The Lady Techsters are also 8-8 (.500) in the 26th "best" conference. That's pathetic.

According to their RPI, the Lady Techsters would be the 11th best team in C-USA, 7th best team in the Belch, 6th best team in the Southland, and 2nd best team in the SWAC. That's embarrassing.

Let's move on from the "fans are upset the Lady Techsters aren't in the Top 25" narrative. That's just not the case.

Champ RhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond repute RhythmDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    Nobody (except maybe Champ110) expects the Lady Techsters to be a Top 25 program anymore. Not being in the Top 25 is now how we judge this program. The expectations are now to win conference championships and to put a winning product on the floor.

While the arms race of college athletics doomed the Lady Techsters, there is no excuse for the Lady Techsters to be as pitiful as they are now. There are numerous programs with fewer resources than the Lady Techsters that have passed us by.

The Lady Techsters have an RPI of 189. We are now in the bottom half of Division I WBB. That's unacceptable.

The Lady Techsters are also 8-8 (.500) in the 26th "best" conference. That's pathetic.

According to their RPI, the Lady Techsters would be the 11th best team in C-USA, 7th best team in the Belch, 6th best team in the Southland, and 2nd best team in the SWAC. That's embarrassing.

Let's move on from the "fans are upset the Lady Techsters aren't in the Top 25" narrative. That's just not the case.
    i agree with everything but your last paragraph. That's the case for you, but it isn't the case for "fans." 5 minutes in this forum is all you need to prove that.

Varsity Bulldog dawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her game

Actually, I think we have won more national championships in weightlifting than any other sport...

Champ Russdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I DO think we have some talented players on this team, and I've seen EVERY HOME EVENT this season. Of course I am a fan of basketball and Tech athletics and gameday ANYTHING at Tech, not a student of the game. I still feel we had good enough girls to have won the WAC had we had a post defense and protected the ball, and I think THESE GIRLS CAN COMPETE IN CUSA. Obviously something MAJOR was lacking and I don't know if that's assistant coaches or further up, or what. What's scairy is that separating us from 4 more HOME losses are a couple of last second misses (by McNeese, ORU, Ole Miss) and an awesome .2 second three by Frazier. I do hope we can get it together at home and in the tournament and get a winning season, but like FFA said that won't really change the status of the program.

I'd like to see our WBB program compete (usually win) the WAC/CUSA forever, get in most NCAA's, an occasional threat for a sweet 16 appearance, and play aggressive, in-your-face-all-night-long basketball.

+ Reply to Thread