+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SEC discussion

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

SEC discussion

The SEC Network will be announced in April after the conclusion of the NCAA basketball tournament.

Slive dodged the question about expansion to 16.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...annel/1991881/

I assume NC State and Virginia Tech are still the favorites.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Re: SEC discussion

The SEC Network will be announced tomorrow at an event in Atlanta.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmi...ollege-sports/

Champ weunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud of weunice's Avatar

We are moving to a more distributed model for TV revenue - meaning you are on your own in the future. As soon as the NFL has a Roku channel I promise you, all hell is going to break loose in television. I can get NBA, NHL, MLB and MLS games without ever having to visit the 4 letter network or any of the majors with the exception of the post-season.

The writing is on the wall. It is just a matter of time.

The SEC postponed their announcement in light of the Boston bombings.

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

The SEC will chip away at the ACC and take new states and markets while the ACC is fed to the piranhas. The B12 and B10 will finish them off and ESPN will be S.C.R.E.W.E.D. I do see ESPN doing a ton o production work for the SEC though.

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

Don't think ESPN will be too worried if the ACC dies. It is too messy for them to have 5 power conferences. Don't forget ESPN has the rights to the not BCS for 12 years.

And the SEC won't do anything first. If the ACC dies it will be a move by the Big Ten (or maybe the Big XII) that does it. SEC has no reason to want to go to 16 until others do and there sure as heck is no desire for them to act quickly and take Florida State, Clemson, or Georgia Tech.

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

Clemson, FSU and GaTech are non starters. No in state school is gonna give away their biggest advantage to their rivals. NCSU and VT will be the picks IMHO. You are right though, B10 will swing the hammer first and take UVA then prolly UNC if they see the writing on the wall. Then I think, FSU and Clemson will have a major issue. Do they want to curl e the wagons like Texas and be Huge fish in tiny pond or do they want to surrender to the subtle flirtatious of the Big12. UL, Pitt, Duke ect. will hang on for dear life at that point. Then again, I could see schools like Duke and Wake join the Catholic 7 and play football as independents, because it's not like anyone would notice.

Quote Originally Posted by GatorDawg View Post
    Don't think ESPN will be too worried if the ACC dies. It is too messy for them to have 5 power conferences. Don't forget ESPN has the rights to the not BCS for 12 years.

And the SEC won't do anything first. If the ACC dies it will be a move by the Big Ten (or maybe the Big XII) that does it. SEC has no reason to want to go to 16 until others do and there sure as heck is no desire for them to act quickly and take Florida State, Clemson, or Georgia Tech.
    There's no way ESPN will allow the ACC to die. ESPN is heavily invested in the ACC as the ACC is now the single largest provider of ESPN programming. The ACC will not die.

I wouldn't put anything past Mike Slive. He is a very savvy commissioner. It would not surprise me if Slive moves to 16 first, but I think both the SEC and B1G will expand at the same time. UNC could be the prized addition that both the SEC and B1G want. The SEC has very good reason to expand to 16: to create programming opportunities to maximize the success from the SECN, which is expected to increase revenues to each SEC school by $6 million per year with the additional two schools.

I don't think Florida State, Clemson, or Georgia Tech will be under consideration by the SEC. Slive will go after new states.

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KSDAWG View Post
    Clemson, FSU and GaTech are non starters. No in state school is gonna give away their biggest advantage to their rivals. NCSU and VT will be the picks IMHO. You are right though, B10 will swing the hammer first and take UVA then prolly UNC if they see the writing on the wall. Then I think, FSU and Clemson will have a major issue. Do they want to curl e the wagons like Texas and be Huge fish in tiny pond or do they want to surrender to the subtle flirtatious of the Big12. UL, Pitt, Duke ect. will hang on for dear life at that point. Then again, I could see schools like Duke and Wake join the Catholic 7 and play football as independents, because it's not like anyone would notice.
    I can see the SEC taking Duke too. Football is strong enough that they don't have to try and make it stronger. Basketball is their largest weakness. Would be a huge move for Duke. But I think because they are targeting Duke and possibly Virginia Tech is why the SEC is in no hurry.

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    I don't think Florida State, Clemson, or Georgia Tech will be under consideration by the SEC. Slive will go after new states.

I think you and KSDawg are correct, even though FSU, CU, and GT all make sense geographically. Taking UNC and VT would open up two new states and give them the Charlotte and Tidewater/DC markets. Then what? UVA and Duke/NCSU/GT (pick 1) to the B1G, FSU/CU to the Big 12, and Cincy/UConn/Temple (2 of them, maybe all 3) to the ACC?

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

SEC goes nukular --- adds Oklahoma, West Virginia, VaTech and Duke.

(And Big12 adds Louisiana Tech)

I would give my right arm to have been TCU last go round. Our future has always been Texas as far as recruiting and rivals (excluding USM). I think the ACC is on unstable ground and will be until The Big 3 conferences decide how to distribute their winnings. Sure must be nice being the Pac12. Nobody is gonna poach from you and you can be the aggressor everytime.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

*The SEC will eventually add two: Virginia Tech & UNC, to go to 16. This will give the SEC 2 more high quality, contiguous additions to their eastern footprint. They are perfect compliments for Tennessee, South Carolina, Kentucky & Georgia.

*The Big X will eventually add Boston College & UVA to get to 16. (They've already added Maryland and Rutgers) Both have strong academics and fit the Big X profile nicely. Adding BC puts the Big X in the valuable Boston/northeast TV market. And UVA is the perfect compliment for Maryland. Having Maryland & UVA covering "both sides" of the Washington DC TV market will deliver huge TV numbers.

*The Big XII will eventually add these 6 to get to 16: FSU, Clemson, GA Tech, NCSU, Miami & Duke. These schools will fit nicely in the new Big XII "East" division, along with West Virginia. Wake forest appears to be the only current ACC school that's SOL. The Demon Deacons --along with Pitt & Syracuse-- will eventually be forced to join the American whatever conference with SMU, Houston, etc.....(or maybe the WF, Pitt & Syracuse invite all those schools to join them in the ACC.)

HD

UNC would never play in the SEC. They look down on the SEC like we look down on the Sunbelt. NCState will get the nod.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KSDAWG View Post
    UNC would never play in the SEC. They look down on the SEC like we look down on the Sunbelt. NCState will get the nod.
    UNC & NCSU are interchangeable.....but I suspect UNC would prefer to be a member of the SEC instead of the Big XII. But maybe not, if Duke, GA Tech and Clemson join the Big XII.

+ Reply to Thread