+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: That egg we laid stinks worse...

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

Re: That egg we laid stinks worse...

We caught a bad break by playing our 2 toughest conference games on the last week of the season. Losing those (while understandable) definitely impacted our team going into the tournament. It's hard to feel confident after dropping 2 games in a row. Now that we've lost 3 straight, it will be interesting to see how this team responds in the NIT.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

McConathy has done nothing but earn my respect. His team split with highly touted SFA during the season and he had to win the conference tourney to go Dance. . . . and he did, by beating SFA in the final.

'06, One day you'll learn to argue for someone instead of finding ways to always argue against.
    Right now you're arguing out of both sides of your mouth.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    McConathy has done nothing but earn my respect. His team split with highly touted SFA during the season and he had to win the conference tourney to go Dance. . . . and he did, by beating SFA in the final.

'06, One day you'll learn to argue for someone instead of finding ways to always argue against.
    Right now you're arguing out of both sides of your mouth.
    I was only responding about McConathy's "loyalty" to NWST. NWST has been much more loyal to McConathy than McConathy has been to NWST. How is that arguing out of both sides of my mouth? And to say that I always argue against instead of for someone is simply not true.
    Last edited by Dawg06; 03-17-2013 at 10:55 PM.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    Absolutely. NWST did have a good year, but that doesn't erase his previous 13 years at NWST. There's a reason why he hasn't left Natchitoches, and it's not because of his loyalty to NWST. He's had a few good seasons, but he's had two different stretches of three consecutive losing seasons. Had McConathy gone through those losing stretches at Tech, he would (or should) have been fired.
    The coach likes his employer.

The university likes their basketball coach's overall program.

And their occasional basketball units don't hurt.

I have no reason to feel jealous of my teammate and what he has done during in his basketball playing or coaching career.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

I think they may give Florida a tough game.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Opie is a "god" around here. Mostly he's a super great guy who is a very good coach, and even better mentor for those young men. He holds them accountable for their academics and off-court behavior, which he should (and yes, other coaches do too), and is a pillar in the Natchitoches community. His dad played at NSU many decades ago, as most of you know.

I think the NSU-UF game will be very close and the Demons have a "puncher's chance" of pulling the upset.

Go Demons! Beat the SEC!

BTW, the SEC got only TWO teams in the Dance????!!! Wow!

Champ girldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud of

. . . mediocre coach . . .
    Mediocre? If you end up being half the person Mike McConathy is, you'd far surpass any expectations I have of you. And I was rather hopeful of you -- until now.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by girldawg View Post
    Mediocre? If you end up being half the person Mike McConathy is, you'd far surpass any expectations I have of you. And I was rather hopeful of you -- until now.
    Sorry to disappoint. Some of you obviously have an emotional attachment to NWST's coach. A 200-204 record (.495), 6 winning seasons, 6 losing seasons, and 1 .500 season is the definition of mediocrity. I never said anything about him as a person. I'm sure he's a great man. Again, I was only commenting on his supposed "loyalty" to NWST. My point was that NWST was more loyal to him than he was to NWST. That's all.

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Sorry to disappoint. Some of you obviously have an emotional attachment to NWST's coach. A 200-204 record (.495), 6 winning seasons, 6 losing seasons, and 1 .500 season is the definition of mediocrity. I never said anything about him as a person. I'm sure he's a great man. Again, I was only commenting on his supposed "loyalty" to NWST. My point was that NWST was more loyal to him than he was to NWST. That's all.
    I do think NSU has been loyal to Mike. Very loyal. At one point, he was the highest-paid coach on campus. That still might be the case, though I'm not positive about that. But Mike has done things at NSU that no coach has ever done there. He's had some bad years for sure, but before his arrival the Demons went through years and years and years of bad years. Mike has had chances to leave. He had an opportunity to cash in on his tourney success in the past, but at the time his kids were finishing up high school and headed to play for their dad. The timing just didn't work. So in his own way he has been loyal to Natchitoches and NSU, and the university has been loyal to its coach.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Oh gosh don't play the emotion card just to try to win this debate.

Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog View Post
    ...now that Northwestern State has punched their ticket and LSUS made the NAIA final four.

Hopefully, we can make a good showing in the NIT.
    LSUS lost in the NAIA semifinals tonight.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

On a 3 at the buzzer

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, I watched it. They played a solid game and made a great showing for the entire tournament!

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Go Demons! Beat the SEC!

BTW, the SEC got only TWO teams in the Dance????!!! Wow!
    Oops! make that three. Forgot Mizzou is in the SEC now.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog View Post
    We caught a bad break by playing our 2 toughest conference games on the last week of the season. Losing those (while understandable) definitely impacted our team going into the tournament. It's hard to feel confident after dropping 2 games in a row. Now that we've lost 3 straight, it will be interesting to see how this team responds in the NIT.
    I think having a few days off should benefit our team. I went to the tourney game, and it was only the second time I had seen the team play in person this year. Our shooting was terrible and I thought that was because out guys looked a little fatigued. With the style of defense we play, it is normal for players' legs to be worn out at the end of a season. I thought that led to a lot of our shooting problems, because some shots just looked flat. With a few days off, I think we can freshen up and give FSU a run.

Congrats to LSUS on their run. Hopefully the team won't be a victim of budget cuts.

Mike McConathy is a good guy and, in my opinion, a proven coach. Before turning around the NSU program (which was pretty dismal before his arrival), he coached at BPCC and took that team to the NJCAA tourney a few times. I think they made the final four once in the late 80s / early 90s, but that's been a while and my memory isn't what it used to be. The point is that good coaches can win on every level and McConathy has shown that he can do that. I'm proud to see Tech grads do well in their chosen professions.

When McConathy's NSU team beat Iowa in the first round of the NCAA tourney (2006?) it hastened the firing of Steve Alford as Iowa's coach, and led to him becoming the head coach at New Mexico. Since then the Lobos have done pretty well and are headed to the dance again this year as a 3 seed. Sometimes good coaches stay at a school because they want to, sometimes because the situation just works out that way. Regardless of the reason he is still in Natchitoches, I wish Mike well and will be cheering for the demons in the tourney. Florida is one of the best teams in the field this year, and the Demons are bigtime underdogs, but I hope they do well.

+ Reply to Thread