+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Score Keepers, Opinion Wanted

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Re: Score Keepers, Opinion Wanted

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    I disagree. I think ya'll are making too many major assumptions without most of the facts. You can't just assume the shortstop is the leader of the team and is expected to make every play. I umpired a game at Runnels earlier this year. Their second baseman is an LSU signee; the shortstop is a freshman. The second baseman was the leader of the team and made all of the calls. In the play we're talking about, he's the one who would make the catch. There's no doubt in my mind.
    If a freshman shortstop calls the ball, the senior second baseman will yield, especially if he has signed with LSU.
    It's time to close the doors to the Temple of Janus.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    The description was "slightly to the right field side". SS should always be the boss. If he is a freshman and good enough to play SS, he is good enough to call off the senior 2nd baseman. You do realize the best athlete is usually at SS? Just making sure.
    It doesn't matter if he is the best athlete or not. If a shortstop calls the ball, all of the other infielders yield, including LSU signees.

Quote Originally Posted by deadawg View Post
    I guess for me it would all depend on the wind. If it was routine and the second baseman missed it, I would call it an error, but if the wind was blowing the ball all over and the play was no longer routine, it would be a hit.
    Bingo.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg View Post
    Bingo.
    Are you sure? Even LSU signees? Aren't they golden?
    Good old Memorial Gym

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    The description was "slightly to the right field side". SS should always be the boss. If he is a freshman and good enough to play SS, he is good enough to call off the senior 2nd baseman. You do realize the best athlete is usually at SS? Just making sure.
    If a freshman shortstop calls the ball, the senior second baseman will yield, especially if he has signed with LSU.
    It doesn't matter if he is the best athlete or not. If a shortstop calls the ball, all of the other infielders yield, including LSU signees.
    Again, for this discussion only, there's no way the shortstop can get an error. Take a look at the original description:

Quote Originally Posted by LABulldog View Post
    Right before the ball got to the 2B he appeared to misjudge the ball because the ball carried slightly behind him and the ball glanced off his glove and hit the field. When this happened the SS and CF were within 3-4 steps of the 2B watching. The ball hit the ground approximately 15-20 steps off the infield.
    If the SS and CF were within a few steps watching, they obviously didn't call for the ball and didn't attempt to make a play. As a scorekeeper, your job isn't to make assumptions of what someone should have done. Your job is to score the play. In the instance I described, the senior second baseman is the leader of the team. He's an all-state player who has been a state champion. The freshman shortstop is going to be a great player. He's the coach's kid. But he's not the leader of the team. For that team, it's the second baseman's ball. Every team has different dynamics and is coached to do things differently. A scorekeeper's job isn't to be a coach; it's to score the play that happened.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    Again, for this discussion only, there's no way the shortstop can get an error. Take a look at the original description:

If the SS and CF were within a few steps watching, they obviously didn't call for the ball and didn't attempt to make a play. As a scorekeeper, your job isn't to make assumptions of what someone should have done. Your job is to score the play. In the instance I described, the senior second baseman is the leader of the team. He's an all-state player who has been a state champion. The freshman shortstop is going to be a great player. He's the coach's kid. But he's not the leader of the team. For that team, it's the second baseman's ball. Every team has different dynamics and is coached to do things differently. A scorekeeper's job isn't to be a coach; it's to score the play that happened.
    Not arguing that it was an error n the shortstop. I was responding to the statement that the second baseman doesn't yield. I don't know of a team that gives second base priority. I think Abner Doubleday set the shortstop priority.

Champ OLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond repute

Yall are too nice. I would have scored it a "wind aided" infield fly. Batter is out, no runner advance!

Maybe I'm too hasty. Our team batting?

Big Dog Pitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the rough Pitcherjlt's Avatar

Error on 2B. Runner thrown out trying to advance. Perfect game is officially over but no-hitter is still in tact! LOL!

The #1 rule that all kids need to be taught on plays like that whether the wind is a factor or not -- turn & run to the spot where you think the ball is going to land then look up & find the ball. Drifting & drifting & drifting back is a recipe for disaster. Watch the pro players & the high IQ college players -- this is exactly what 99% of them do. Tough plays like this can become easy plays.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Definitely an error on the 2nd baseman. However, the smart (and correct) play would have been for the Center Fielder to come up and make the easy catch, with the ball in front of him. As Pitcherjilt said, drifting back is a recipe for disaster. Plus, the center fielder's "forward" momentum would have enabled him to make an easier throw out if needed.

Always better the play the ball IN FRONT of you. Sounds like the 2nd baseman really screwed this up.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitcherjlt View Post
    Perfect game is officially over but no-hitter is still in tact! LOL!
    Such eloquence! A man after my own heart.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Score keepers have it so easy....

Be a MAN and UMPIRE!!!

Big Dog Pitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the rough Pitcherjlt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DocMarvin362 View Post
    Score keepers have it so easy....

Be a MAN and UMPIRE!!!
    DocMarvin,
    I umpired a few Dixie games during the summer back when I was in college & playing at Tech. After those few games, I made a pact with myself that I would never do that again! The players were great but it was dealing with the parents, grandparents, & friends in the stands that was a pain. And I know the rules, how to call a fair game, & such -- so many people have no idea what they're talking about when they argue or yell something. Much love & respect to those of you who choose to do this!

Champ faninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond repute faninmonroe's Avatar

If was as windy as it was for our Sunday scrimmage, it was a hit.....unless it was a no hitter.

Champ LABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by faninmonroe View Post
    If was as windy as it was for our Sunday scrimmage, it was a hit.....unless it was a no hitter.
    No where close.

+ Reply to Thread