+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New Mock Draft Has Patton in 1st Round

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: New Mock Draft Has Patton in 1st Round

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    Swope from A&M had one of the top 40's and maybe THE top bench press with a good vertical and he went after Patton.

These NFL guys don't know what they want. ...Very random. The smallest thing could drop you several rounds.
    Swope had concussion issues.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I think Swope will make a very good NFL WR. Provided he's healthy, of course.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by glm47 View Post
    Swope had concussion issues.
    Besides our game how many did he have?

Champ Woof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to behold

Besides our game how many did he have?
    Probably three more (four have been reported by sports reports). Swope has mentioned publicly that he has had a "few" minor head injuries.

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

I never read anywhere about concerns of Patton dropping too many passes. The critique I heard was that he didn't "snatch" the ball out of the air quick enough and thus was vulnerable to have passes batted away by defenders. I do think that's a legitimate critique. The General was great at creating separation. I think that's one of his subtle strengths. But there were some tough catches that he didn't make because defenders were able to make plays on the ball. It's a nit-pick, and not one that should have dropped him to the fourth round. I firmly believe Quinton will be playing much longer in the NFL than the majorty of the receivers picked ahead of him!
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Champ longdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the rough

Oh and let me tell everyone something right now. Patton is fast. He has NFL speed. Does he have elite NFL speed? No. But he is faster than the average NFL WR. His 40 time in Indy and at Pro-Day proved that. People still don't get that the majority of players in the NFL at WR/DB DON'T run sub 4.5/40's.
    But they do in High School!

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    I think Swope will make a very good NFL WR. Provided he's healthy, of course.
    I agree. He's faster than I thought.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by longdawgview View Post
    But they do in High School!
    I know. Amazing how a guy goes from a 4.3 in HS to a 4.5 in college to a 4.67 at the NFL scouting combine. College Football sure does slow a fella down. Either that or the HS times are LIES.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

His bench press was unimpressive even for a WR but I've seen him beat press coverage. The CB from Illinois that he absolutely TORCHED got picked before him.
    I recorded both the ESPN and NFL Network broadcasts and rewatched them.

Mel Kiper cited his 8 reps on the bench press at the combine as a possible red flag that dropped him, but Kiper didn't see it as a red flag. Kiper said he plays much stronger and catches almost every 50/50 ball.

Mike Mayock referenced our season opener against Houston in which QP was shut down by the UH corner as something that could have dropped him.

Those were the only two negatives that were brought up on draft day on ESPN and NFL Network. Nobody said anything about him having poor hands.

Todd McShay had nothing but praise for the General and that he was the only sure-fire second round pick that was still left on the board. The networks talked about how he played big in big games and his ridiculous production in the two years at LaTech. They talked about how he tore up Texas A&M and the Utah State CB that was picked before him. They all talked about how great the 49ers did in finding great value with each pick.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Never said he had "poor" hands. Never said dropping passes was a major issue. Never said it would prevent him from being drafted and going on to have a great NFL career. Did say, in an attempt to explain why he dropped from a projected 1st or 2nd rounder to a 4th rounder, that that issue, along with the upper body strength, and the 40 time was probably the reason 15 other WRs, some with NO WHERE close to his collegiate stats, were drafted ahead of him. And, BTW, I picked that up from two separate blogs, one right after the combine, the other right before the draft began.

So, again, saying someone has "good" but not "great" hands is NOT the same as saying he has "poor" hands. Never said that. And the dropped passes comment came in reference to the Utah State game and the combine, where again, it was mentioned as a "concern" on the blogs. As for the Utah State game, as with all the others, I have no particular memory of individual plays, except I seem to recall some "catchable" balls that QP let get away. Now, some may say he dropped those passes, and others might say they were tough chances and he simply couldn't hold 'em.

Wasn't going to go there, but just as a point of reference, I have visited some of the Niner fan chatrooms/blogs and notice an array of opinions about their drafting QP. Some think it is a great pick-up, some are lukewarm, and some cite another player, perhaps in another position, the Niners should have used that 4th round pick on. Opinions: everyone has 'em. Likewise among NFL scouts. It's not an exact science.

Champ ITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond repute ITdrummer's Avatar

Plenty of WRs have already been drafted. QP will go today, but the shine is off of his value. He's not very fast and he dropped too many passes. .
    I'm still laughing at this comment. Found this little stat sheet for ya. Just let it marinate while you realize how ignorant of a comment that was.

Again, ignorant one! And I don't know why I waste my time with some of you.

This time, a little s-l-o-w-e-r. . . .

The NFL looks for physical specimens, guys with raw speed and athleticism, like vertical leaps, for instance. They are called "projects." You can't coach speed and other natural ability. The NFL coaches think they can teach the necessary skills to a player who might lack some "football skills" provided that player is blazing fast, etc... Now....if a player LACKS those natural athletic attributes, i.e. like QP, then that player better be top notch, the very best in football skills, if.....<drum roll> he is to be drafted in the 1st round of the NFL draft!!! Based on QP's performance in some games, like the USU game which was cited, and at the combine, based on blog comments, he showed a chink in the armor in the category of GREAT HANDS.

So, in an attempt to offer some rationale why QP, PROJECTED TO BE A 1ST ROUNDER IN ALL THOSE MOCK DRAFTS, dropped all the way down to the 4th round and was ONLY the 16th WR selected, I offered some information to perhaps explain why that happened. I also posted that I DID NOT AGREE with that assessment.

I'm not laughing at you. I feel sorry for you, since simple thought and comprehension seems to escape you. Let that marinate as you ponder how ignorant you are...

Again, ignorant one! And I don't know why I waste my time with some of you.

This time, a little s-l-o-w-e-r. . . .

The NFL looks for physical specimens, guys with raw speed and athleticism, like vertical leaps, for instance. They are called "projects." You can't coach speed and other natural ability. The NFL coaches think they can teach the necessary skills to a player who might lack some "football skills" provided that player is blazing fast, etc... Now....if a player LACKS those natural athletic attributes, i.e. like QP, then that player better be top notch, the very best in football skills, if.....<drum roll> he is to be drafted in the 1st round of the NFL draft!!! Based on QP's performance in some games, like the USU game which was cited, and at the combine, based on blog comments, he showed a chink in the armor in the category of GREAT HANDS.

So, in an attempt to offer some rationale why QP, PROJECTED TO BE A 1ST ROUNDER IN ALL THOSE MOCK DRAFTS, dropped all the way down to the 4th round and was ONLY the 16th WR selected, I offered some information to perhaps explain why that happened. I also posted that I DID NOT AGREE with that assessment.

I'm not laughing at you. I feel sorry for you, since simple thought and comprehension seems to escape you. Let that marinate as you ponder how ignorant you are...
    I DO realize it's not your opinion as you didn't write the blog. That said, whatever blog you read was written by a moron. I actually watched the combine and he had good hands there. Looked great. I just watched a video on the NFL's own website that said that one of his pluses was how he showed what good hands he had at the combine.

+ Reply to Thread