+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tulsa out, Western Kentucky in?

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Re: Tulsa out, Western Kentucky in?

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    I'm not assuming it's between New Mexico State and Western Kentucky. I'm sure WKU is next. That's what we've been hearing for a while now.

What I am saying is that my personal preference for the next C-USA invite is New Mexico State. Why NM State?
    - Every football, basketball, and baseball game is televised
    - Solid men's basketball program
    - Land-grant, Tier 1 national university
    - Reduces travel costs as UTEP's travel partner
    - No stench from the Belch

WKU wouldn't bring anything more to C-USA than NMSU. WKU's football program has a little more upside, but that's it. WKU doesn't produce all their games for TV, or at least I'm not aware of it if they do. WKU is located in a tiny market so they aren't an asset in TV negotiations or for conference exposure. WKU is a regional directional school, and those aren't the type of schools I like to be associated with. Their men's basketball programs are pretty comparable. Both NMSU and WKU have solid minor sports programs, but those don't really matter. However, there is no doubt that WKU is the best remaining athletic program in the Belch.

I don't think Benson will snatch up NMSU for all sports because they are too far out of the Belch's footprint.

Of course Reneau/Guice/BVDV should advocate for anybody but ULL. I certainly wouldn't want to touch ULL with a 10-foot pole. In no way should Tech ever want to be associated with ULL. I still don't think ULL is on C-USA's short list.

I don't think Texas State will get an invite until another Texas team leaves.
    I don't think South Alabama will get an invite until UAB leaves.
    I don't think ULL will get an invite until Tech leaves.
    Maybe UTEP will keep New Mexico State out.
    That leaves 1) Georgia State and 2) Arkansas State sitting in good position to be next in line after WKU.
    Of course the dynamics could change depending on which schools leave C-USA.

Just look at the map. Texas and Florida are the only states valuable enough to have more than one team in the conference, and Atlanta is very valuable.

Say it ain't so!

We are both in agreement that asu/ull/ulm should never be extended invitations into our conference. I hope our leadership can convince CUSA leaders to feel the same way.

I think NMSU and WKU are a wash. NMSU has better academics. They both are good MBB schools. In FB, WKU, in 1 or 2 years, has surpassed a NMSU program that has been around for ages. NMSU is a pathetic, hopeless, train wreck of a football program. I would be ashamed to be associated with it.

And again this group of schools is starting to look like it has the makings of a STRONG MBB conference. Tech, WKU, MTSU, Southern Miss, UTEP, UAB, and Charlotte are either winning currently or have had winning programs in the past. Won't happen overnight but would love to see us have a league as respected as The Valley. We aren't going to be the ACC but we cantake major steps forward as a MBB conference with this group of schools.
    Last edited by Bigdog13; 03-23-2013 at 11:01 PM.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    Say it ain't so!

We are both in agreement that asu/ull/ulm should never be extended invitations into our conference. I hope our leadership can convince CUSA leaders to feel the same way.

I think NMSU and WKU are a wash. NMSU has better academics. They both are good MBB schools. In FB, WKU, in 1 or 2 years, has surpassed a NMSU program that has been around for ages. NMSU is a pathetic, hopeless, train wreck of a football program. I would be ashamed to be associated with it.

And again this group of schools is starting to look like it has the makings of a STRONG MBB conference. Tech, WKU, MTSU, Southern Miss, UTEP, UAB, and Charlotte are either winning currently or have had winning programs in the past. Won't happen overnight but would love to see us have a league as respected as The Valley. We aren't going to be the ACC but we cantake major steps forward as a MBB conference with this group of schools.
    Good post and I agree with everything you stated.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I admit I've lost track...and because I really don't care either......BUT! wasn't NMSU in the Belch for a spell?

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    I admit I've lost track...and because I really don't care either......BUT! wasn't NMSU in the Belch for a spell?
    Yep!

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Them and Idaho replacements for teams who moved to C-USA who have now moved to B.E..

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

The following was posted by a wise person:

Taking Western will hurt the Belch because it is the best overall program left. If you want to kill the Sun Belch as a FBS conference (if not kill it completely) expand to 16 by taking Texas State and Georgia State. I am not in favor of doing it at this time, but this would deliver killer blows. 1. It obviously it is devastating to the number of teams needed to be a conference. Bendon's normal response will be to bring in more FCS teams. 2. However, by taking GSU and TSU, you have ripped away the only legitimate TV markets (Atlanta and Austin) that the Belch had left, crushing its chances of getting a decent TV contract. Thus, a team wanting to move up would have to be really desperate/foolish to join the Belch. The remaining teams would have to go independent or drop down. Killing the Belt would free up money for the remaining non-AQ conferences in the new payout system.

While going to 16 teams with Texas State and Georgia State is not something I am fond of at this time, the thought of sticking it to ull, ulm, asu, and Benson ( and the legacy of Wright Waters) is appealing.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    The following was posted by a wise person:

Taking Western will hurt the Belch because it is the best overall program left. If you want to kill the Sun Belch as a FBS conference (if not kill it completely) expand to 16 by taking Texas State and Georgia State. I am not in favor of doing it at this time, but this would deliver killer blows. 1. It obviously it is devastating to the number of teams needed to be a conference. Bendon's normal response will be to bring in more FCS teams. 2. However, by taking GSU and TSU, you have ripped away the only legitimate TV markets (Atlanta and Austin) that the Belch had left, crushing its chances of getting a decent TV contract. Thus, a team wanting to move up would have to be really desperate/foolish to join the Belch. The remaining teams would have to go independent or drop down. Killing the Belt would free up money for the remaining non-AQ conferences in the new payout system.

While going to 16 teams with Texas State and Georgia State is not something I am fond of at this time, the thought of sticking it to ull, ulm, asu, and Benson ( and the legacy of Wright Waters) is appealing.
    That wouldn't be wise at all.

Taking 3 more teams won't kill off the Belch. Worst case scenario for the Belch is that they are forced to add NM State and Idaho for football only. Those two schools are obviously desperate and would accept. That means the Belch would only have to find one more football school to survive, and that shouldn't be difficult.

The TV argument is irrelevant. The Belch is already locked into a long-term TV contract with ESPN that lasts through June 30, 2020. Their TV contract only nets between $35,000 to $50,000 per school per year because the Belch has to pay to produce the Sun Belt Network games on their own. Losing their largest markets shouldn't affect their TV contract.

Those additional schools would only serve to weaken C-USA and reduce each school's conference distribution.
    Last edited by Dawg06; 03-24-2013 at 01:57 PM.

Champ RealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond repute

C-USA has enough teams now so it probably should stand pat after this move if only two teams leave. No need to make any more moves unless membership goes below 12.

NMSU will always be available as a replacement if and only if UTEP leaves. If UTEP has veto power over NMSU, that's fine with me because Tech should have veto power over the ULx pair, UAB should have veto power over USA and Troy, etc.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by RealityCheck View Post
    C-USA has enough teams now so it probably should stand pat after this move if only two teams leave. No need to make any more moves unless membership goes below 12.

NMSU will always be available as a replacement if and only if UTEP leaves. If UTEP has veto power over NMSU, that's fine with me because Tech should have veto power over the ULx pair, UAB should have veto power over USA and Troy, etc.

At a minimum, there is no reason to make a move before June 30, when WKU would have to give its one-year notice to the Sun Belt. That would give some time for the ACC/Maryland lawsuit to play out and see what other moves might impact the realignment landscape.

At least one published report has mentioned Georgia State and Arkansas State over the past several months, and your veto scenarios are exactly the reason why. UTSA would have veto power over Texas State, as well. That's why the Cajun faithful have to hope Tech ends up in the Metro/America 12. USA has to hope UAB gets the call up, as well. That may be the only way those schools move into CUSA.

Champ parialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by RealityCheck View Post

I think the issue is C*USA can't fall below 12 in 2014, and Charlotte won't be there until 2015. So they can get by without replacing Tulsa, but then in 2015 they'd have 13 teams. If they lose another, they'd need someone else for 2014. But if say Southern Miss doesn't leave until 2015, or no one else leaves, they can do the stand pat thing. If 13 is considered okay.
    University of Houston '01. Any references to "we" or "us" likely refer to UH. Cheers!

Champ parialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of light

Regarding UTEP, it should be noted that they couldn't keep UTSA out. That might have had to do with UT-system politics, or bare necessity, but UTSA was not ideal for them at all and it didn't matter.
    University of Houston '01. Any references to "we" or "us" likely refer to UH. Cheers!

One thing that just occurred to me. If this is true, that means Marshall will be in a division with zero (0) teams that were in Conference USA last year, once UAB switches over. And UAB will lose the Florida-friendly schedule they were about to receive.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by parialex View Post
    One thing that just occurred to me. If this is true, that means Marshall will be in a division with zero (0) teams that were in Conference USA last year, once UAB switches over. And UAB will lose the Florida-friendly schedule they were about to receive.
    You are that sure that UAB is going to be moving? They don't seem too attractive to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    You are that sure that UAB is going to be moving? They don't seem too attractive to me.
    I thought he meant moving to the west side of C-USA

Champ rebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond repute rebelboi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    I thought he meant moving to the west side of C-USA
    he did mean move to the West with USM

+ Reply to Thread